1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch travel

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DaveDelux, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mar 20, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    DaveDelux

DaveDelux [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner SR5
    DTRL's, Fog Lights, Hitch, trailer wiring, aFe filter, removed secondary air filter. Soon to come: Bull Bar, Navi, Extra D Ring
    I posted this in the wrong forum previously, but didn't get any response. Sorry for the repost.

I just picked up my 2008 Tacoma Pre-Runner access cab with 30,000 miles a couple weeks ago, and I find the clutch a bit hard to get used to. It has a 4 cylinder, 5 speed, which is all I've ever owned in 30 years. I love everything about the truck, except for this. It's not a huge deal, I just want to see if it's normal.
    I find that when I am at a stop in first gear with the clutch in, and start revving the engine and letting the clutch out, nothing happens until the clutch "Grabs" all at once. I took some approximate measurements to quantify what I'm experiencing, and found the following:

· Clutch pressed all the way in, distance from petal to floor: 0.5 inches.
    · Clutch released until engagement starts, distance from petal to floor: 4.5 inches.
    · Clutch released until full engagement, distance from petal to floor: 5.0 inches.
    · Clutch fully released, distance from petal to floor: 7.5 inches.

As you can see, the difference between engagement starting and complete engagement is only a half inch. I had the dealer check this out, and was told that it's working as designed. I haven't stalled a car in forever, but I've stalled this one twice.

Does this seem similar to others with the same truck? I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    Dave...

2. Mar 21, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    I had a similar feeling on my pedal after the cylinder was replaced, they put the pedal back to factory specs but it was not how I dropped it off. I did take the slack out of the push rod, giving the pedal a stiffer feel, as that's how I set it up when I drove it off the lot the first time. not sure if that will help your situation

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    DaveDelux

DaveDelux [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner SR5
    DTRL's, Fog Lights, Hitch, trailer wiring, aFe filter, removed secondary air filter. Soon to come: Bull Bar, Navi, Extra D Ring
    Great idea, this helped alot!
    Dave...

Products Discussed in

To Top