1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clutching issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dzlpwrd, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mar 31, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    dzlpwrd

dzlpwrd [OP] toyota fan from birth

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    wilton maine
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 v6 4x4 sr5
    ported air box, 3 inch custom exhaust, with cat delete, tinted windows, 4 6 inch 300 watt speakers, 2 1800 watt amps,2 6x9 900 watt speakers, pioneer recievier with ipod control, 3 inch lift, color match cap, more to come...
    hey, i have a 95.5 excab v6 4x4 with a 5 speed. yesterday i drove it to an appointment i had in town, about 15 minutes from my garage. i drove about 50 mph till i got to town where the speed limit drops to 35. no high speed full throttle take offs everything seemed fine. after i came out from my appointment i started the truck and it wouldn't go into gear with the clutch pressed all the way to the floor. i shut it off put it in gear and restarted it. i could feel that the clutch was not releasing all the way when i would stop at the street lights then shifting it would kind of bind between gears like the clutch was not releasing. after the third light the pedal seemed to have a different feel to it then the clutch acted fine for a couple of stops then went back to not disengaging. my first thought was the slave cylinder was shot and not holding the throwout bearing in for long enough to shift, but i crawled under the truck and it is dry with no signs of rust or fluid leaking. i had my father hold the push the clutch pedal while i watched and everything is moving as far as possible. so we decided that either the pressure plate or the clutch disk must be spent. we cleared one of the bays in my garage so we could put the truck on the lift and start tearing it apart. i went out to move the truck and the clutch is working perfect. i drove the truck all afternoon and then hauled my trailer back to the garage this morning with no problems. has anyone else ever had this happen or is my truck just possessed? maybe i should thank toyota for making my tacoma a self repairing truck.

2. Mar 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    even though its fixed itself,hows the clutch fluid look in color? if its black or brown in color you could bleed some new stuff into the system for good measure, i know that improved my shifting quite abit.

3. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    dzlpwrd

dzlpwrd [OP] toyota fan from birth

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    wilton maine
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 v6 4x4 sr5
    ported air box, 3 inch custom exhaust, with cat delete, tinted windows, 4 6 inch 300 watt speakers, 2 1800 watt amps,2 6x9 900 watt speakers, pioneer recievier with ipod control, 3 inch lift, color match cap, more to come...
    i was planing to do that. the issue returned today when i stopped at the school to pick up my daughter. when we came out it wouldn't fully release again. i have a feeling i will be pulling this appart really soon.

To Top