1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coast Guard Roll Call

Discussion in 'Military' started by FARNORCAL, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    brian65oh

brian65oh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nor Cal (currently stationed in Jax beach FL)
    Vehicle:
    05 pre runner
    camburg long travel w/ race runner 2.5x8 co Deaver springs spintech race muffler kn cold air intake
    thought i would drop on by and see whos in the area im at STA Sand Key FL, its great i really like it down here in D7, its a nice change from the D13 pacific north west.

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    Coastie80

Coastie80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DCSB Super White
    FN

Station Apra Harbor, Guam

Taking the MK3 test again Friday, so we will see. If that doesn't happen then I should be in Yorktown for A school around the December time frame. :cool:

3. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    BillE

BillE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Fairmont, MN
    Salute Aft, Salute Quarter Deck, Request permission to come aboard.

Former Hooligan checking in. AG-1 (MST), '64>'77 (yea, I'm old), all in the 13th.

Just getting back to Toyotas (as soon as I can sell my 2500DH Chev) after a 20 year absence.

Semper Paratus

Bill

4. Aug 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i got some questions from yall!

In the USCG, as a reservist what exactly can you do?
    on active duty how does your schedule work?
    do you have any sayso in where you go or what you do for the CG?
    how do you advance in ranks?
    and is it hard going from reserve to active duty?

5. Aug 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    As a reserve you do all the same things an active duty member would do, but on a reserve status (1 weekend, 2 weeks type thing). Some jobs are not open to reserves, some are primarily reserve jobs.
    Active duty is a "full time" job. The day to day schedule is dependent on the type of unit and specialty you end up in.
    You get to request where you want to go and what jobs you'd like, but your performance and the needs of the service are major factors n the process.
    For enlisted, you have to have a certain amount of time at your current rank, then complete some practical exercises and pass a couple tests. The results from those along with a variety of input from your service record place you on a list in rank order and then they advance folks as needed. Officer promotions are based on time and performance evals.

Not sure about going reserve to AD - there are folks who have recently, but it depends on your specialty and what the service needs. Right now - They are looking to reduce overall numbers, so I would say that doesn't help your chances, but that is no way an official statement.

6. Aug 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    last question i promise!

if you do reserve do you have to go AD at any point?

7. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Have to...Only in certain jobs. There are lots of opportunities if you WANT to,but you won't be forced to in most cases.

8. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    As stated, any rate as well as the officer corps is open to reserves but check with your local recruiter to find out what is currently open. Gov. reduction is the name of the game right now so it's getting harder and harder to get it.

AD schedule depends on what unit you're at. Some jobs are 0700-1300, some are a 2 days on/2 off with rotating weekends, cutter duty is dependent on the amount of people qualified at any given time underway and in port.

Yes you have a say in where you go. You put in picks when you transfer but it ultimately comes down to what the service needs at that time. Even right now where I am with priority 1 and 2 picks the detailer will tell people to find a new spot-service needs first, as well as career advancement.

As far as doing what you want, yes. However, keep in mind that unless you come in through a direct petty officer program (which I doubt they do anymore) waiting for your rating "A" school or "striking" OTJ training will take you over a year in just about all circumstances.

Advancements are based on completing tasks related to your rate as well as Coast Guard history/policies and passing a test to be eligible for the exam that puts you against everyone else in your rate competing for the same pay grade during that time.

The most recent information I got on reserves was that they are trying to end Extended Active Duty for reservists while continuing or increasing other programs to utilize them in a more efficient manner than what they have been in the past. In most circumstances you can't expect someone who shows up 1 weekend a month/2 week a year to be anywhere near as qualified to do a job as the people that do it day in and day out. As a reservist you don't ever have to go AD. You request that unless we go into WW3 or something.

I probably went too deep on a couple but hopefully that summed most of it up. If you have anymore post them here or PM.

9. Sep 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    Doc4216

Doc4216 Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 FJ
    In case nobody told you, the cuts came out on Friday!! Good luck to everyone.

10. Sep 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    Doc4216

Doc4216 Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 FJ
    I'm at Sector! I love D7 too, but I haven't been anywhere else in 12 years...probably going to change that next summer.

11. Sep 30, 2013 at 3:27 AM
    brian65oh

brian65oh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nor Cal (currently stationed in Jax beach FL)
    Vehicle:
    05 pre runner
    camburg long travel w/ race runner 2.5x8 co Deaver springs spintech race muffler kn cold air intake
    i saw your truck couple weeks ago i think. I had to replace an outboard on our 25 so we brought it on over to use the shop. what do you do at sector?

12. Sep 30, 2013 at 5:13 AM
    BillE

BillE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Fairmont, MN
    Welcome!

Worked with CGA quit a bit when I was with BOSDET (way back when)...lot of good folks.

Bill

13. Sep 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    07 BLACK FJ

07 BLACK FJ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Fort Lauderdale
    your at sector? sector miami?

14. Oct 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    Has anyone been stationed in Sitka, AK or know anyone thats stationed there? Trying to figure out if i want to put ANT Sitka on my picks or extend where i am for another year....

15. Oct 18, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    chiz

chiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    La Plata, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    I was at sector st pete at the ESD from 2003 to 2007

16. Oct 18, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Had a BM2 (now BM3) at my last unit and my old FN is an AMT up there now and loving it. Knowing SE Alaska I'd do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't married. If you're pushing for an XPO job there I would say definitely try.

Got orders to the Tern last week, really excited. Good weather and a different platform to work on.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  17. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    eyebrows

eyebrows Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    ARB bumper Marker Lights KC Lights Clearance lights Various Plasti-Dip Locking bed storage Cross bed toolbox
    MK3

CGC Mustang 10-12
    CGC Baranof 12-13
    next stop CGC Bluebell!

18. Jan 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    FlyersFan1050

FlyersFan1050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Tuckerton, Nj
    Vehicle:
    '14 DBLC Sport
    BM2

Sta Woods hole '07-'09
    Sta Barnegat Light '09-'15

19. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Interesting about the CAC not working since you're taught to show it if requested for a badge. I'm sure it could be argued both ways with no real distinct yes or no. Other services I could see it being an issue since security forces/MAs/Mil Pol don't have the authority and jurisdiction we hold. Honestly it sounds like a pretty flimsy law to rely on and the ALCOAST reinforces that thought. http://www.uscg.mil/announcements/alcoast/549-10_alcoast.txt

I guess my biggest question is what the reasoning behind the law was in the first place other than some kind of extra benefit or provision to LEOs.

20. Feb 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    CDSurfPhotography

CDSurfPhotography Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Hey guys I'm a junior at SDSU and I hope to join the Coast Guard when I graduate. Right now one of my class is requiring me to research a magazine in the career I want to do in the future so I was wondering if you guys recommend any magazines.
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top