1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coast to Coast drive on the I-40. Any Tips

Discussion in 'Travel' started by tacomakid89, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 [OP] Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    Well in a few days i'm going to start my journey from Hampton, Virginia all the way back to good ol' Hesperia, California. I did the drive here with a box truck and a trailer and now on the way back with my Tacoma I just want to make sure that i'm not forgetting anything. If anybody out there can think of anything to check or do before I leave, then please let me know. Also if anybody lives or works near the I-40 then let me know and maybe I could stop and fuel up there and talk trucks for a little bit. Or if you guys know of any good places off the I-40. Thanks alot for everything.

William/tacomakid89

2. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    The I-40 is a nice drive. I do it between SoCal and Kentucky a few times a year. Just make sure your fluids are good, check the spare. Make sure you have your jack and tools. Air up your tires to the right pressure and you should be good. Nice easy drive. Nothing too fun along the way. There is that steak house in Amarillo with that HUGE ass steak that you get for free if you can eat it. Just watch out for your speed in Texas, no tollerance on the highway. I got pulled over for 74 in a 70. Have fun!

3. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Avoid Lot Lizards at the truck stops.

4. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    Good stuff.

Also add in a gallon of water, mainly for emergencies, and NoDoze. When you feel tired, pull over and take a cat nap.

5. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    tacomakid89

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    Alright. I dont think im gonna try to eat a huge steak cause ill probably end up shittin my brains out for the rest of the drive, lol. But maybe stop there for a bite to eat. Ok Thanks.

What the heck is a lot lizard?

Will do. Ya im gonna be sure to have some of that and get a good night sleep each night.

6. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  7. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    x99999 My mom got pulled over when we were on our way to Kansas city for going 75mph in a 70. Also if your going through at night, I think the speed limit drops to 65.

Oh and your going through Albuquerque! :woot: lol, not much to do there though.

8. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    A lot more here than in Soccorro!:D

When you hit Albuquerque, take the Eubank exit, turn right, and stop in at The Owl Cafe and get a green chile cheesburger. F'n best ever!

Try not to hit the I-40/I-25 interchange here at rush hour. It's a flippin mad house. If it works out that you go through the "Big I" at night, the columns supporting I-25 over I-40 are lit up with color changing lights. It's pretty trippy.

9. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    tacomakid89

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ya I saw that on the way here that the speed limit is usually like 10 or 15 lower at night. weird.

Ok. Thanks. Ill have to stop there and get a burger. Thanks for lettin me know.

10. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    You can buy a case or two of water.
    Use it if needed on the highway but after the trip is over, throw it in the fridge for drinking around the home.

It'll be hot in Needles!

11. Apr 16, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    soooooo true! I hate it here.

and x2 on the interchange.

12. Apr 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I drove that route in 2007....in a u-haul
    I did great until I got into New Mexico...the winds kicked up and the trailer (my car) started to get kicked around a lot. I spent a shit ton on gas, about $1300. Albuquerque is where the truck got a workout, the route is like 55mph and I swear everyone was doing 90mph. Going downhill trying not to get run into was a hair raising experience.

13. Apr 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    oh yeah, I forgot about the wind. This time of year its usually sustained winds in the 20-30 mph range with gusts in the 40s. So be careful if you're pulling a trailer.

14. Apr 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    tacomakid89

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help so far guys. I appreciate it.

15. Apr 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Don't forget your credit card. Gas is going through the roof!!!! Safe trip.

16. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    make sure you fill up with gas. It will take at least a full tank to make it all the way. :D

17. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    BTW, if you happen to stop in OKC for the night; stay near downtown. You can hangout in Bricktown. It is decent for a night, with some decent bars. Other than that, there is no real reason to stop in OK on I-40.

18. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    NOW you tell me!!! I came through Texas last week and saw ALOT of people pulled over... thankfully I wasn't one of them. Set my cruise on 72 and they didn't bother me.

Yes, where the speed limit is higher than 65, it does drop to 65 at night.

Have a safe trip.

19. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    TacoRun

TacoRun Subd for later..

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Edinburg,Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road, Magnetic Gray
    Pop Lock, Ranch Hand brush guard
    Do you plan on sleeping on the road or hotel? In case your the type that sleeps in your car in your road trips, I dont recomend sleeping in West Memphis, AR. or Little Rock. I drive that area alot and i see some people like to sleep in truck stops. Not a good idea. As for the pic of the lot lizards....DONT expect to see them like that. Dont forget the shop towels and extra snacks. Wal Marts are your best friends on the road when it comes to saving money. ( No I dont work for wal mart)

20. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    s2studio

s2studio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Sounds like a lot of others have covered it...good luck and stay safe on your trip!

To Top