1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Code 90420

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by Ricky B, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Dec 12, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maumelle, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2001 Crew Cab 4x4
    This code comes on around 5,000 miles. I'm in the process of checking the sensors, but lets say its the converter. What would happen if all I do is turn the light off when it comes on. I get about 20 mpg on hwy and 17 in town. Just don't need to be spending that kind of money to replace the converter. I don't see any downside to turning it off, but that why I'm asking. Rick

2. Dec 12, 2008 at 8:29 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    The main downside is that the light will always be coming on so long as cat efficiency readings are out of range ...

3. Dec 13, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    trailinTaco

trailinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4
    3 inch suspension lift, 33 inch bfgoodrich mud terrain tires, toytech diff drop, Procomp alloy wheels, hella fog lights, black projector headlights with 8000k HID's, blacked out tail lights, two 12 inch subs, 20% tint, pioneer head unit and speakers
    that code could be two posibilities. most likely the o2 sensor after the cat reading wrong. but if the cat really is bad theres a way to bypass it so you can pass emissions. use a spark plug spacer on your o2 sensor to space it outward of the pipe so the exaust flow will pass by the sensor so it thinks its reading cleaner air.

To Top