1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coilover and UCA Install Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Canadianboy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Sep 5, 2009 at 10:20 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    just weld a new nut on the f_cked up one and use an impact on it and some WD or penetrating stuff good luck

2. Sep 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy [OP] Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    I got the nut off, I used a hack saw. Fck that was a pain in the ass. Working on the rear now.

3. Sep 6, 2009 at 12:39 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ok, after some more reading, I may not try to remove the whole leaf pack. This may be more difficult. Anybody who installed the icon 3 leaf pack, what was the procedure? I think I may move my jackstands to the frame, and then lower the rear axle. Hopefully I will have enough room to get the 3 leaf pack in.

4. Sep 6, 2009 at 12:59 AM
    tacotown73

tacotown73 Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM
    tacotown73

Member:
  6. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Thanx. Yeah I had that printed out and was following the instructions, all was good until I had to jack up the truck from the rear on the receiver hitch. I couldn't get the truck high enough to make 3" of space between the axle and the leaf pack.

Tomorrow I'm going to try some jack stands on the frame, and then lowering the axle with a jack under it. Kinda the opposite way that was posted in that post. Hope it works, my truck is sitting on jack stand over night, its stressing me out!

7. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:10 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    I was going to do this, put how in the world did you get the bolt out near the gas tank and the muffler? I forseen this problem and by looking at these bolts, it seems they would be very hard to get out. You have no room to tap the bolt out once you get the nut off.

8. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:33 AM
    tacotown73

Member:
    Getting the nut off was the tricky part... after the nut was off... the bolt slid right out for me (on both sides). But for what you are doing you shouldn't need to remove the springs.

If you put the frame on jack stands then use a floor jack on the pumpkin (axle), you should be able to lower the axle down until you get the separation you need. Just be careful not to lower the axle too much and over extend the brake line.

Good luck... I hope tomorrow goes a lot smother for you.

9. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    So I changed my mind and was going to take out the whole stock leaf pack to add in the 3 leaf. I took off the nut on the rear part of the leaf, and then tried to bang out the bolt. It is almost out, but it seems that the leaf pack is pulling up and I can't get the bolt completely out. What am I doing wrong here?

bolt_8c8fb7a1f23f53c5aa8219390518ec9cc383ccd6.jpg

10. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    There might be a little weight on the spring, I had a similar problem when I did my new leafs. If you can move the axle at all try going up or down just a little bit until that bolt is lined up again and it should pull out. If not get a bar in there under the head of the bolt and pry that mother out!

11. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Fck for the life of me I can not get this bolt out on either side. If I wanted to, I can't even bang it back in because the hole doesn't line up on that side now.

12. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    have you tried pulling down on the top and pulling the bolt out?

13. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ya I've tried pulling down on the top of the leaf pack, but it won't move

14. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    try jacking it up a little and and pulling down. If not, then get like a 3/4 wrench and put it under the bolt head, then hit the wrench with a hammer. Get it?

15. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    tacotown73

Member:
    The way your bolt is pointing down tells me that your springs are wanting to bend upwards. You need to alleviate tension off the springs by lowering the axle (just make sure you don't lower it too much and stress the break line).

If you have your frame on jack stands and use a floor jack under the axle, you should be able to lower the axle down enough to remove tension from the springs. (I assume you have the U-Bolts and shock removed?) At this point, you should be able to pull down on the shackle (and the spring) enough to line up the holes and pull the bolt out.

Position yourself behind the shackle and pull straight down and avoid twisting the shackle inside of the bracket. It should pull straight down very easily. If not, make sure the springs aren't crooked or twisted. If they are try and straighten them out so that when you pull on them, they slide straight down.

It's kinda hard to explain, so I hope it makes sense.

16. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ya I was just sitting in the garage trying to figure this out. Right now I have my jack stands under the axle, which I think may be up too high putting pressure on the springs. I'm going to move my stands to the frame and then lower the axle. Hopefully this works. The jack that I have won't work to lower the axle, so another trip to Canadian Tire. Need to buy another jack.

17. Sep 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    Canadianboy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacotown, you are the man! That was exactly what I needed to do. Once I did that, the leaf springs were easy to get out, assemble and put back in. I'm just about to mount the wheels back on, but I am unsure about this cable. It goes from the brake drum to the front of the truck. On the stock setup it went through a little mount that was attached to the springs. I put it back on that way, but there seems to be a lot of tension on the cable. Should I keep it in the mount like I have, or let the cable be free?

cable_7291af94651bfc4ce4ec6ed54fcb56092e41be6b.jpg

18. Sep 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    tacotown73

Member:
    Awesome... I'm glad it worked out.

As far as the brake cable, I debated bolting it up too. After I put the wheel on and dropped the truck back down, there was enough slack in that cable to bolt it up easily... so I bolted it on instead of letting the bracket hang loose.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on what they did... I would guess that if you're planning on off roading your truck you'd want to leave it disconnected. I'm guessing (and could be wrong) but if you flex your rear axle you might stretch that cable if it's bolted.

Lets see some pictures :D

19. Sep 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap
    Good thread.

:popcorn:

20. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I left the cable loose. I have the 3" All Pro pack and there is no place to bolt it. Some people actually cut that bracket off but I left it on. If you dont bolt in down and leave that bracket you will hear it clanking a little when you go over speed bumps with the windows down. No biggy

Products Discussed in

To Top