1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coilover Conundrum

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by billas333, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Feb 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    billas333

billas333 [OP] They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Like the title? LOL

Anyways installed the new icon coilovers yesterday however I cannot get my ride height even between the front passenger and front drivers side.

The Icons say not not to expose more than 2'' of thread

Front drivers side has 1 and 7/8inches of thread exposed and from the ground to the fender flare I am measuring 38.5"

Passenger side has close to 1.5'' of exposed thread and I am measuring over 39" from the ground to the fender flar.

Anyone have any insight? I cannot seem the get the drivers side up anymore and if I keep cranking down the passenger side it just seems weird to have a 1/2 inch difference in thread exposure and the more exposed side is sitting lower when it is supposed to be higher.

2. Feb 2, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Only thing I can think of is to lower the passenger side. Have you let the springs settle in?

3. Feb 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    SnoBoarder

SnoBoarder Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    85 4Runner - Built not Bought
    Mine
    Driver's side about 2 1/32 exposed thread
    Passenger side about 1 15/16 exposed thread
    About 3/32's difference
    Nearly perfectly level about 39 1/8 both sides
    (half tank of gas, equal front tire pressure and no one sitting in the driver's seat, CO's almost 2 years old)

4. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    SnoBoarder

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    Not sure what you mean? The Tacoma lean is pretty well known. My weight plus a full tank of gas is about 305lbs, all on the driver's side. I have no lean or pull with my setup. Here's another discussion about the lean:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/25667-toytech-coilover-adjustment.html

5. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    I have only driven about 50 miles on them so far. Still gotta get an alignment done too so I wanna make sure i have them set before I align it.

6. Feb 2, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    SnoBoarder

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    I think your ride height and adjustments are fairly close to mine so I'd be inclined to go get the alignment. FWIW you'll probably crank 1 or 2 full turns in either direction on both CO's after some settling, at least that's what I had to do.

7. Feb 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    just a 1/2 inch difference in thread exposure seems weird to me

8. Feb 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    SnoBoarder

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    I recall having to confirm how to install a spacer on the bottom mount of each coilover, the thicker spacer had to be towards the front. If you reversed the spacer on 1 side, I could see that potentially causing some ride height differences on that side. I can't find my notes or instructions, but I did just take a look to see the thicker spacer towards the front on each co.

[​IMG]

9. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    Measure from the center or edge of the hub up. It's more accurate.

10. Feb 3, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    Front King 2.5, Coilovers, Camburg UCA, Rear King 2.0 Shocks, Lots of Tinted Windows, Cherry Third Owner
    Joel,

It may be the rear springs... Have you had the TSB done...? Allot of people complain of having uneven trucks due to the rear- no matter what you do to the front the rear will counter!

11. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Yea rear TSB and 1inch blocks in the back

Got an alignment done yesterday too and the damn thing rode better before I let big o tires mess with it. Devin knows what he is doing!

12. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    maybe a dumb question but r u adjusting them with a load(truck on ground) or with load off?my foxs say to adjust with no load on them.dont know if they all r like that.

13. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    ^^
    I hope so... if you can muscle the adjustment with a load on, then you're my new hero... :D

14. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    thats what i was thinking,but u never know, right

15. Feb 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    I am doing it with the load on.

16. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Adjust the springs with both the tires off the ground. You will never be able to get it right with them on the ground.

To Top