1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coilover Life

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by alongtheway1, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    alongtheway1

alongtheway1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tuscaloosa
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab 4x4
    Custom Front Bumper UWS toolbox Bilstein 5125 on rear
    I am down to two options for coilovers, SAW 2.0's or the Toytec's with the medium duty spring.

In regards to the SAW 2.0's what is the longevity before a rebuild is needed? I don't do much wheeling or anything crazy, but I do get on some pretty nasty access roads with bad washboarding and erosion problems.

Also, with the toytec's. would a "rebuild" just be considered putting a new set of 5100's in it... or does the spring sag over time.

What I would like to know is the time to rebuild on both and which one, in general is thought to be longer lived.

Also, if you have any other thoughts on longevity of other brands a bit above the 700 price range, I would consider that into my purchase also.

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Both setups work pretty good. Although I would recommend saving a bit more money and getting a 2.5" coilover. They have bigger pistons and more oil capacity. They ride much better than the 2.0" versions. Especially on washboard type roads.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Commifornia
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    To much to list...see sig for more...
    I have SAW 2.0's since November 07. Low miles but as long as they don't feel spongy or leak, you wouldn't need to rebuild them. ShowStop on TTORA went 100k on his 2.0's:

My 2.0 SAWs had 100k miles on them when I sold them. The cylinders were fine and never leaked, but the lower spherical bearing was completely worn out. I rebuilt them and replaced the bearing. Good as new.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    weidjd

weidjd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC TRD OR 4x
    Saw COs/RR,TSB + 1.5AAl, LR UCAs
    Just got some Saws they seem to be real good. In the future I will try kings or Icons.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    All springs will eventually sag but it's gonna be a long time before you need to worry about that.

The best thing about SAWs (and up: Fox etc.) is there is alot of adjustability for valving; mine came more valved for dirt (as expected), they are more ridgid (than stock) on minute bumps and cracks in the street but much smoother off-road. There is a full spectrum of valve adjustments toward street or off road from there, but it's not a basic procedure to change the valving, you'll likely want to have a pro swap valving if you want it altered.

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Well im running the fox 2.5 coilovers and so far im more than impressed with on and off road ride of them, they did lift my truck more than i thought they would. Also if you go with the saw 2.0 they are a really good coilover for the price.

To Top