1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

coilover problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Swanid, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Swanid

Swanid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    4x4 tacoma
    I was just going to start with a spacer and a top plate lift from toytec. I took the spacer and my front strut assembly to a shop to be installed. I am trying to through it back on my truck but after I put the three top bolts in the bottom seems to be at a different angle I have tried every angle and the bottom just doesnt line up. I got the right installed so its just the front left that is off. could the shop have installed the spacer wrong and miss aligned it.

2. Apr 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    If I understand you correctly, the three top bolts are in place, but the one horizontal hole is off. You should be able to just twist it to line it up, try inserting a screwdriver in the hole and rotating it to the right angle.

3. Apr 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    Swanid

Swanid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    4x4 tacoma
    I have been trying that but it seems like im going to destroy the bushings the thing just wont budge, I was thinking about trying a pipe wrench or something but I dont want to damage it. I guess my question would be should I be able to spin the strut manually with the coil in place? should I just use more gusto to get it to turn into place?

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    You should be able to turn it. With the spacer in there it's compressing the spring putting more pressure on the spring making it harder for you to rotate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

5. Apr 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    Swanid

Swanid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    4x4 tacoma
    Got it in, had to pipe wrench it into place. it still looked a little crooked, will it just seat itself into place, I was gonna check it after a few days

6. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    pic would be great..

Products Discussed in

To Top