1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coilover rebuild interval.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RogerRZ, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Apr 29, 2014 at 4:17 AM
    RogerRZ

RogerRZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    Hey all, just bought a new DCLB TRD Sport, and after running a spacer lift/blocks on my '11 (I know, I know) I would still like to do a lift (no more than 2"), but would like to do it properly.

I run roughly 40K miles per year, and of that, at least 30% is on medium speed (50mph) gravel roads, sometimes decently graded, sometimes not. I never grab any air, and never do any low speed rock crawling.

I am looking at a good set of coil overs (king/fox/icon), but am concerned with the rebuild interval I might have to deal with. On Fox's website, they recommend a 10K mile rebuild, given 50/50 on/off road ratio. Is this exclusive to Fox?

I don't mind the initial buy in cost, but I really cringe at taking the suspension out from underneath my truck every three months and shipping it cross country for a rebuild. I don't care how smooth the ride is, this isn't going to happen.

I don't want to sacrifice the semi-smooth stock ride, are there any other options I should look at, or is it an all or nothing proposition?

2. Apr 29, 2014 at 4:43 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    For my foxes, if i run mainly highway miles i only rebuild every 50K.

Off road mainly yes you'll need a rebuild every 10K, i dont wheel often enough to go by the 10K so when i get closer to 50K i'll be looking to rebuild.

3. Apr 30, 2014 at 1:33 AM
    RogerRZ

RogerRZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    I guess if that's the case, I'll have to pass. $1000 per year worth of rebuilds, in addition to the hassle of taking it apart, shipping, and putting my truck out of service four times, isn't going to happen.

I might just leave it stock...

Products Discussed in

To Top