1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake - no haters please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kingston73, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Feb 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if you go afe, make sure to get the dry filter. will make life nicer.

2. Feb 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  3. Feb 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I was thinking about getting a Volans power core dry filter, if I can find out which size will fit. Volants site just lists the dimensions of all the different filters but doesn't describe what any of them fit, so I sent their customer service an email. I've read good things about the powercore, and volant says they can go 100,000 miles without maintenance.

4. Feb 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Found out that volant doesn't make a power core for the tacoma, so I might get an amsoil dry cone filter instead. I'll try to take a before and after recording of the sound once I get this installed. Reading through all these intake threads, seems like there are mainly 2 types of people who respond to these threads, the people who have actual experience with cai's and the people who are just repeating things they've heard before.

5. Feb 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Now you're catching on. :thumbsup:

6. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    :cheers:

7. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    weather techs, 20precent tint, leveling kit, back flip bed cover, rhino liner
    Kinda dumb question. U guys are talking about a maf cal. Is that just for a 2 gen ?

8. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    jamtoz

jamtoz frog

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    trd sport DCLB 4x4 2014
    Duratracs, SCS sr8's, debadged
  9. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    The URD CAI and MAF calibrator combo is awesome !!! It doesn't give you the cabin noise and it performs. Cant tell you how it ran without the calibrator because i installed both at the same time and out of all my cars i have put intakes into from CAI to short ram intakes i think this one has to be the best setup i have ever installed. Extending the MAF sensor was easy as long as you know how to solder, the calibrator was kind of a pain to install. If you dont mind spending the extra money do the plug n play.

10. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I have the AFE Stage 2 and it is extremely quiet, you can't tell it's there. The gas mileage has been about the same with maybe a small bump.

11. Feb 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Amazing......mine was soo loud I pretty much gave it away, I hated getting on the freeway and passing.

That's what we get for subjective posts tho :)
    Urd is about half the noise inside, and its just a growl.....outside she screams

12. Feb 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    Would u need a maf cal even if you just did the deck plate mod?

13. Feb 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    MAF Cal is electrical modification. Deck plate is mechanical. Safe applies to yours as anyone else's. Only if you want to finer tune the electrical signals.

14. Feb 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    So with the deck plate mod you really don't need a maf cal. It's just when you put a true cold air intake it's so you can squeeze every bit of hp out of if? Or is it for fuel economy

15. Feb 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Properly tuned, I imagine it can do both.

However, I have very little experience on the pre 05 Tacomas. So there might be nuances that I am unaware of.

16. Feb 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I'll take pics tomorrow, ran out of light today. Got my volant and installed it. I had to go get some rubber hoses and ended up with clear 1/8 fuel line instead of the black rubber vacuum line. I also bought a new section of the 5/8 line instead of cutting the factory one, I wanted to keep everything I took off in case I don't like the volant. Everything went on fine, no problems but I have a couple questions.

Will the clear fuel line work for the vacuum line or should I go to toyota and get an oem replacement?

The pics on Volants site show the maf mounted sideways but I mounted mine as close to horizontally level as I could. I also used an o ring I bought from ace as the volant one wasn't included. Could this cause any issues?

The engine cover will end up only having 1 bolt, this shouldn't cause any issues, right?

I'll probably start a new thread with pictures after I've driven a bit with this but for now I'm keeping all my questions here. Thanks for the help so far!

17. Feb 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    jamtoz

jamtoz frog

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    trd sport DCLB 4x4 2014
    Duratracs, SCS sr8's, debadged
    ^samething for me, my vacuum line was too short and i installed clear fuel line, i think it should be fine :notsure:

18. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    as long as the clear line seats as well as the old vacuum line, you should be fine, ditto with the one bolt, as long as it doesn't shake the one bolt loose you should be fine as well.

19. Feb 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I haven't driven it yet but this morning I checked over everything and started it up, it was rough and the idle was erratic and generally sounded bad. I disconnected the battery completely and left it for about 30 minutes and when I reconnected it and started it back up it was smooth and sounded normal again. I'll see what driving is like and probably start a new thread in the review section at the end of the week, I'll have a little over 200 miles on it by then so ill have some idea of what it feels like and what my mileage is on the first tank of gas.

If you are thinking of doing this definitely plan on having to disconnect your battery. You lose your radio presets but its a small price to pay. At least our toyota radios aren't like Honda, my wife's car needs a radio code after the radio loses power befor wit will work. If you don't have that code written down first you need to call the dealer and give them your vin number so they can find your radio code. PITA!

20. Feb 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

Sounds right....i always suggest the battery's negative is removed during install.

Its even more scary when doing the urd intake......many ppl have the truck start, stumble and then die. Even with disconnecting the battery it happens and even if u are prepared for it to happen it still scares ya.

Products Discussed in

To Top