1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake - no haters please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kingston73, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Agreed. Insulation without provocation is childish, and proof of a lesser man.

I remember this old video. Takes me back to when I was a noob modder. I was soooo close to buying that intake. Might have done a different route had I purchased it.... Probably not a cheaper route though. Lol

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Ok I talked to Gadget at URD today (sounds like a really great guy) and it does fit the 2013 model. Yes!! Im stoked!! I already sent the link to my wife (my Birthday in a couple weeks). Thanks for everybody's help!
    Justus-- The military discount is for active duty only (I'm not active). But thank's anyways man.
    I know this is not really related, but I somehow got on to what I thought was the URD site on my iphone and this was on the front page http://www.gfchips.com/toyotatacoma.aspx Are these garbage or what? I now know that I wasn't really on the URD site but some sponsors for the site or something. These things are pretty much just a gimmick though right?

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Told ya he was a good guy.....when he's not busy (rare), I like to pick his brain and bullshit with him....he's actually very funny if u catch him with downtime....its a side u don't see often on the boards (atleast not here), but its cause he's soo busy and is here to conduct business....he's really a standup dude and has much to offer, and has already offered his life/safety for the safety of others.

As for ur link......id stay away. The price seems too cheap, the gains too high..... Gadget specializes in toyotas and has an xrunner and 4runner iirc, and has had older toyotas he has force fed and tweaked over the years....look for his personal site.... its something like gadgetonline.com I think.

Some of our members here can get u a link (im on my phone).

Gadget has many years of R&D on tacomas and 4runners.....he's done his homework and then some......trust him, he's already giving deep cuts in prices on some products. He's in it for the fun and US, fellow toyota members. Not to gouge us and feed us BS.

Just my 2 pennies, im sure others have their opinions and that's perfectly fine

4. Mar 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Started a new thread about all 3 intakes.

5. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    That too shall be shat on probably.....good luck :eek:

U can always pm me for input or links to good info

6. Mar 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Ricks2013

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Ok My wife got me the URD Intake for me for my Birthday! Im stoked! I will put it in next weekend when i have a good half day of spare time. Is there any tips or methods for this install that anyone has to make this easier? I wasn't aware that i had to cut and lengthen all the wires in the harness for this. Shouldn't be too bad I guess.
    I also got the shield/splash guard for the filter and the hydro sock pre-filter. I dont think I will actually need the hydro sock according to the directions. I dont plan on submerging the intake in water. Just driving in some heavy rain here in FL. Correct me if im wrong please.
    I do not have the MAF calibrator yet. I will have to save up and get that in a couple months. Can I get the Plug & Play Harness instead of the MAF calibrator or do I need that and the MAF sensor? Any tips or info is appreciated! Thanks for your time!
    Rick

7. Mar 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Nice, put some pics up when you get around to installing it. Not too sure about the calibrator question but I'm pretty sure there are a few who haven't installed it and the intake still gave them a good boost. Being in Florida maybe think about getting the splash shield that goes with it.

8. Mar 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    You need the MAF calibrator, the MAF sensor, and you either splice the wiring, or buy the kit from Nut. There is no "easy" plug and play for the 2009 and newer trucks. You still need to solder wires.

If you purchase a used or even NIB used, you may need to get the proper map. You will need to obtain a Map and load it onto the MAF Cal "Blackbox". To accomplish the upload to the "Balckbox" you will need a USB to Serial cable, and some time to learn how to accomplish the upload.

The MAF Cal box I recently sold here, I sold with the Nut plug and play wiring kit, I ran by Tigerdirect and picked a USB> Serial cable up for the guy, and sent a couple of emails explaining how to get it done.

The ironic part, I still have my "Blackbox" not yet installed. I have no CEL with my CAI. I'm wiring mine with a connectors. If needed I will be able to remove the "Blackbox and install a jumped connector in place of the "Blackbox", putting the wiring back to oem, except with connectors.

PK

9. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Ricks2013

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Damn this doesn't sound like its going to be fun (and its going to cost more $$). They have it advertised as "MAF sensor calibrator" for $210 http://urdusa.com/p1260198051/URD-MAF-Sensor-Calibrator/product_info.html
    That should be all i need then right? What happens if i use the intake without anything else? It will still run fine but just wont get all the benefits out of it?
    Thanks for the info PMK.
    Kingston--- I did get the splash shield.

10. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    You probably will get a CEL. As for how it will run, Gadget knows that answer best. May run rich, may run lean, may run fine.

As for the $210, yes it's more than a used one, but should come preloaded with the proper map if you ask.

Wiring wise though, you still need to somehow tie it into the trucks harness.

Where in Florida do you live?

PK

11. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Only thing keeping me from buying the URD calibrator is all that damn wiring. I hate wires!!!

PMK, I'm loving the Volant setup you sold me :D

12. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have it's sister installed on my truck and enjoy it. Glad to hear it is being well used. I assume you added the red spacers I sent in between the MAF sensor and the intake duct. Gives a more secure MAF mount and seals better, lessens the chance of a CEL.

FWIW, I have not yet installed the URD MAF box. I have not yet seen a CEL. After a little bit of the computer learning the new intake, the mileage came back to where it was with a stock intake. But the truck has better partial throttle pull.

As for the intake temps, I have been watching the scangage. Unless the intake is heat soaked, I see only a 2>3 degree increase in inlet air temp. Less on long highway runs.

Enjoy it.

PK

13. Mar 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Yeah, I got the spacers on there (good idea). I have yet to see a CEL, either. After 2 tanks my mpg is back to where it was, stock.

Thanks again man! The thing roars! haha

14. Mar 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    the wiring isnt hard at all TBH

the issue I have is getting TO the wires, its a tight awkward fit for larger folk....tapping and cutting is minimal, just remember to use a soldered connection and NOT T-taps....they have caused issues in the past IIRC and Gadget has mentioned it many times.

Ive never had a single problem with the wiring part, and I have done 2 so far....The last 1 was on someone elses truck and I asked him to go watch TV, or anything to keep him busy so I could concentrate (ADHD is a bitch)..... he understood, and I had everything finished with zero issues.

Id suggest a sharp razor knife, dedicated wire stripper tool, a butane powered "portasol" type iron, heat shrink, a tool of ur choice for the heat shrinking part (I bought and love using a butane torch with a heat shrink nose attachment)....and of course, check the wires.....label them.....re check them.....check them again......then proceed

Not sure of ur location, but if u are near me, I can give u a hand.....

I use these for pulling back the shielding, and the razor knife to split the piece open and to get it off of the copper wire....makes tapping into wires pretty easy.

Klein 8-22 AWG Katapult Wire Stripper

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  15. Mar 18, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Those wire strippers are the balls! I used to use a razor but I got a set of those for Christmas and I'll never go back.

16. Mar 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ditto what brock said, just to be safe I labeled the harnesses as i unplugged them, i gently and patiently removed tape and accesses the needed wires carefully. I then checked ALL the wires I needed to tap three times against the schematic before i started. Then i started with the least accessible ones first. You don't have to tap them super close to the harness plugs either, you can unwrap the bundles some to get to the wires a little further up. Then, well, I just took my time. Got it right the first time and I was so relieved when I hooked up the battery and no CEL came on.

Products Discussed in

To Top