1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake vs Safari Snorkel

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by El TacoBender, Dec 16, 2012.

1. El TacoBender

El TacoBender [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    always moving
    Vehicle:
    '03 taco sr5,4x4,v6
    -K&N CAI
    i have the k&n cai,really considering frankensteining the the k&n with the safari snorkel. just concerned if id get any side effects. no one has attempted it yet?

2. plamore

plamore Active Member

Member:
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD SR5 DoubleCab Silver
    Bilstien 5100 ultimate adjustable 3" lift 2" rear Shackles 2" lift blocks Rear brake line ext Diff drop 285/75R16 (32.8X11.2) BF Goodrich Mud Terrains Level 8 Tracker rims 16x8.5 6x5.5 4"backspacing and -12 offset (about .5") POR-15 painted under side (for rust protection) Alpine Head Unit with Boston Acoustics speakers Persistent factory bumper rust
    Don't mean to offend anyone here, but is there really any benefit with a snorkel? The factory location sucks air out of the very top of my wheel well on my first gen, so it's protected from rain and road splash and hot air from the engine. Obviousely no one is going to completely submerge their vehicle, so besides looking awesome, is there any real funcionality with a snorkel? Maybe I'm missing something?!

3. BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Plenty of real functionality! The intake for the engine is located in the fender. With so many places getting flooded, or having deep water crossings, it is VERY easy to get water sucked in. Look at the numerous threads where people talk about hydrolock. It could have been prevented by a snorkel. It's not that someone would INTENTIONALLY completely submerge their truck, but it does happen. Better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

4. plamore

plamore Active Member

Member:
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD SR5 DoubleCab Silver
    Bilstien 5100 ultimate adjustable 3" lift 2" rear Shackles 2" lift blocks Rear brake line ext Diff drop 285/75R16 (32.8X11.2) BF Goodrich Mud Terrains Level 8 Tracker rims 16x8.5 6x5.5 4"backspacing and -12 offset (about .5") POR-15 painted under side (for rust protection) Alpine Head Unit with Boston Acoustics speakers Persistent factory bumper rust
    Ok.. thanks for the lesson! I have always assumed you could only go as deep in terms of water level as your alternator… also, doesn't a snorkel scoop up rain water?

5. HAM5953

HAM5953 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma 2.7
    do they make it for a 2.7?

To Top