1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold feet at the dealership

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by marusin, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    I've had a lot of cars over the last decades - I'm older than most of you. I was a sports car guy.... from early Porsches in the 1970's to importing one from Germany in the 1980s, to a twin turbo 300ZX with 300hp in the 90s.

Then I got a cheap pickup (Nissan) with 135K miles on it as a commuter verhicle. I beat the crap out of it for 2 years. Then upgraded to a Gen 1 Tacoma... and also sold the 300ZX that I wasn't driving. LOVED having a little truck.

Now it's a Gen 2 Tacoma and it's great to own. I don't worry about it in the parking lot. I don't worry that it's going to get dirty if it rains tomorrow. I don't worry if snow is in the forecast. Whatever.

Now, I can't imagine going back to an expensive luxury/sports car. We're all sitting in the same traffic, going about the same speed anyway. I look at some bozo in an expensive BMW M3 or something, and I don't think any better of him than the guy next to me in the F-150. It's maybe an image thing when you're in your 20s, but it matters less and less - that's a fact you'll all get one day.

Get what makes you smile the most and be done with it. I can smile, and STILL carry a load of garbage cans or dirt or whatever!

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Been there and done that.
    If you can't walk away and think about it then you shouldn't do the deal.

3. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    FOUR X FOUR DUDE.

FOUR X FOUR DUDE. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Mountain Center, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    TRD wheels, BFG tires, factory installed option.
    If you change your mind, dealer/salesguy will snub you when you show up ! :headbang:

4. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Only if they don't want the commission...

5. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I let go of my wrx limited edition to get into my tacoma. I loved that car, but i made the right decision and i wouldn't go back. The truck is practical, it's a nice daily driver and i can haul my bike or 4wheeler and tow with it. I miss my subaru, but i'll get another when the truck is paid off and then i'll have both. For me, the truck was just more practical and useful then a sporty car.

6. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Exactly. He doesn't have to like you to sell you a truck. Just like that rude grocery checkout girl. They don't matter.
    Just sign and enjoy your truck if you choose to make it yours!

7. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I'm only 24 but I have this same mindset.

Get what you can afford and what is practical for your use.

You obviously aren't happy with the deal as it is, so don't do it. Take your time. There will always be other deals out there.

Also, if that price is not an out-the-door price, you are paying too much.

Fink

8. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    Well if your still having concerns about that particular truck I can help you out with what your looking for... I work for a Toyota Dealer in Maryland selling cars. I am always looking to help out a fellow tacomaworldian. No bs from me.

9. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    It's better to have not had bought it then to have bought it and wish you didn't!!
    I love having a truck but that is just me. Life is too short to wish I hads for me.
    Do what is right for you.
    GL

10. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    like others have said, we are all biased because we love our trucks....with that said I am not a car guy...they just don't do it for me.

I have a buddy who has a bunch of nice cars (z06 vette, audi A6, GTO...etc..) And they dont impress me at all...they are cars...he doesn't get why I would prefer my 1997 toyota tacoma over anything he has or any other car out there...

He poised a questions to me...he said "some guy offers you a brand new porche for you truck...would you take it?" I said yeah...but I would sell the porche and buy 2-3 badass trucks..all of them being tacomas or toyotas and probably 1st gen tacomas at that. (1st gen FTW btw...)

All that luxury junk is just materialistic crap IMO...a truck is a rugged, practical tool that you happen to drive.

I wouldn't be able to drive something that doesn't have 4wd and a bed on the back :headbang:

my 0.02 cents...cars are for yuppies...men are supposed to drive trucks :cool:

11. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    You have to do what you feel is right. If there was something in the back of your mind telling you not to get the truck, you absolutely did the right thing by walking out of there. They make plenty of trucks, If you decide at some point you are comfortable with one, there will be plenty of them to choose from. The dealers time should be the last thing you worry about.

12. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yep, OPs money, OPs perogative, OPs choice. I back your choice to sleep on it. If you weren't overjoyed about it then the hell with it, find a deal you are overjoyed with. Fuck what the dealership thinks about his choice....just try and not do this while thinking you want to get married. Be very sure.

13. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I'll share my recent issue with you and maybe it might help some.

I had a 2006 Tacoma, loved it, but traded for a crossover to get better MPG.

Mistake.

I might have saved $30 bucks a month and then I didn't have my truck...

I traded the wife's crossover (we had 2...bad move) to get a 2011 Tacoma because I panicked because I didn't have a truck.

Mistake.

I traded it in after 9 months of owning it (ow...) and got a Silverado 1500.

Here's the point.

The Taco (both of them) are awesome trucks. Smaller, easy to drive, fun to drive, useful as hell, good MPG even with V6.

However, I needed more truck to tow my travel trailer.

Because I knee-jerked and get back into a truck I really didn't do my research on the Travel Trailer and what I needed to tow it safely and comfortably. So when I bought the second Tacoma I really didn't buy enough truck.

Long story short, I paid about $4000 to overcome depreciation between the 3 auto deals, and that was cheap. The reason it was only $4000 was because my friend owns the Chevy dealership and another friend owns the Toyota one....

To sum up this story:

I'll never NOT have a truck again. I really should have taken a better look at what I wanted my truck to do before I just bought it. Had I slept on it like you are doing, perhaps I would have researched my Travel Trailer more to find I should have got the Full size truck in the beginning. Would have saved alot of money.

Better that you walk out and make sure it's what you want than to go all in and lose a crapton of money in the trading....

**I'll add my father is a car salesman and is a good person. I don't really agree with "wasting" their time, and that their time "isn't worth much" as someone else said. They work on commission, and wasting their times means they make $0 / hr.

Sure, there's a good bit of salesmen that aren't good people, but there's more than are. A good way to find one of them is to ask your friends, and if someone has bought 5 cars from the same guy, that should tell you something about your friends, or the salesman. Just like hiring a babysitter, find a salesman that is looking to do 2 things:

1. Make money selling a car (they don't work for free).
    2. Make you a repeat customer. These will do what they can to make a fair deal where EVERYONE gets a good deal.

14. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Sounds like he shouldn't take a guys advice who doesn't make good decisions

LOL :D

15. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I'm the poster child for buyers remorse. What can I say :)

16. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    I recently traded in my 2004 BMW 325I for a 2006 TRD Sport 4x4 Quad Cab Short bed, I dont regret it one bit. Had close to 100k miles on the BMW and was looking to get something completely different.

And for those who have said BMWs are unreliable, they couldn't be more wrong, yeah there are a few bad ones out there but I had my car for 7+ years and never had any issues. They do however cost a small fortune to maintain, but thats what you get when you buy a foreign, luxury, sports car.

17. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    An awfully ignorant comment to say. That is like saying your time isn't worth that much. I'm not saying what the OP did was wrong, because it wasn't. If he didn't feel it was the right decision, by all means don't go through with it, thats quite a large investment to not feel certain about... But to criticize and bash a salesman and say their time isn't worth much is an unintelligent comment. AND no I'm not a salesman, but do work in the auto business. Sure, there are salesman out there who are sleezy and untruthful, but there are also numerous hardworking and honest individuals out there trying to support themselves and their familes!

Sorry for the rant, but it really irks me when people are so quick to stigmatize a certain person or profession.

Kudos to the OP for not going through with it. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

18. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    mich3210

mich3210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I was in the same boat last year around this time. I was shopping for a 2011 and just couldn't sign on the dotted line. I held on to my Mazda3 for another year, and TONIGHT pick up my new 2012 DCLB TRD Sport! I feel much better about things this time around and feel like I got a way better deal this time around. All in all I'm happy, so that's all you've got to do. Wait until you're ready, you'll be much happier!

19. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    :cheers:

Fink

20. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    thats a good price on a 2011 4x4!

sorry, no further input

Products Discussed in

To Top