1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Fronts/Winter Fronts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Diablo, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dec 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    Diablo

Diablo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    So one of thefirst things i want to do when my tacoma gets here is put a winter front on but i cant seem to find one for an 09. Anyone have one on theirs or know where i should look?

2. Aug 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    what is a winter front

3. Aug 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    I think you are refering to a blanket like object that limits the airflow to the radiators. Is that correct?

4. Aug 31, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    Diablo

Diablo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Yea, lookinf for a polished one though, ive seen them just cant find a manufacturer that matches the ones ive seen they all have more or bigger slots then what im looking for.

5. Sep 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Something you might try....works well for bugs in summer and lessens air flow in winter. Get some 1/4 inch mesh, sometimes called hardware cloth from Home Depot, Home Hardware etc. and some black figerglass window insect screen.Remove your front grill and cut a piece of 1/4 mesh slighty oversize to fit behind the grill. Cut the insect screen the same size. Paint the piece of 1/4 inch mesh with flat black Tremclad paint. Once you've got a couple of coats of paint and it is dry, use a light amount of contact cement to glue the insect screen on the forward part of the mesh.

Drill some very small holes on the center horizontal ribs of your grill and attach the combined mesh/screen on the backsite of the grill with tiny (3") cable ties. You can bend the excess material around the oval contours of the grill. Replace grill on truck. You can do something similar on the bottom opening if you like - although removing the bumper plastic is a bit extreme.

This generally limits the air flow so that your engine compartment stays warmer even in Calgary winters, but doesn't interfere with air flow to the air intake. Used this method successfully while living in NWT. Tried a piece of cardboard, but for some reason this threw off the temp sensors. If you're not sure, try standing with a patio door fully open on a windy day, then shut the screen door and notice the difference it makes.

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    bonfire

bonfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport LB
To Top