1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Start Puff of Blue Smoke

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TheWolfePit, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mar 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM
    TheWolfePit

TheWolfePit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma DC 2.7 2WD
    Yep, they called a bit ago and asked if I wanted them to check and I said yep! Thanks!

2. Mar 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    :thumbsup: Take care frame first, no worry about blue smoke puff on startup. It could be something simple like PCV valve sucking oil when you parked. If you not getting blue smoke, and losing 1 qt of oil for every 2000 miles you are good.
    I would not worry much.

3. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM
    TacomaZL

TacomaZL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    WeatherTech Floor Mats; 15" Cragar Black "D" Window Wheels; Custom Center Caps; 235/75/R15 Goodyear Radial Wranglers; "TOYOTA" Tailgate Decal; Magnetic Tool Storage (in Cabin); Stant Locking Gas Cap; Salex Glove box Organizer Debadged; BHLM; Aftermarket Fog lights; FlashWolves 1000 Lumen Reverse lights; DEPO Black LED Tail lights; Differential Extended Breather Mod; FalconZero F170HD+ Dashcam; Scosche MagicMount; Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Pickup Tonneau Cover;
    Or replace the PCV outright, it's a really cheap part.

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    Well this has been a wasted day. The guys from the dealership called, said they can't get it to duplicate. I specifically said it only happens on cold start up when I took it in. So they want to keep it over night. Isn't there other stuff they can check to see if something is leaking internally? Now I'm more concerned than ever.

They said there's a couple spots on the frame that are corroding...BUT they're not set up to do the undercoating, etc. So now I have to find another dealer to do the frame.

5. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    That's exactly what mine is doing Christian. One medium burp of blue smoke and no more for the rest of the day. So if yours has been doing that since new in 2012 and hasn't gotten worse or better and mine just started, or at least I just noticed it.....I will monitor the oil more regularly and not worry about it!!

I called back and they've checked the plugs, (plugs are clean) etc., everything is A okay. I mentioned the PCV valve and was told on my model (2008 2.7l) you can't replace the PCV valve without replacing the whole valve cover gasket, because it's built into the valve cover. Looks and sounds like yours is a V6, so that explains that. They checked the hoses going to the PCV valve and they're dry, which they said is good.

So they're keeping overnight to give it a start in the morning to see how it smokes and go from there. Right now they're not concerned with anything.

You guys are a great help and a friendly group! I really appreciate everything!

I'll report back tomorrow after they witness the blue puff and see if there's a change in diagnosis!

Larry

6. Mar 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Thats why you are probably worrying for nothing, for some reason PCV likes to suck the oil, hence the blue smoke.
    I would not worry much, it happens on those truck often, and it will do nothing bad.
    Now when it comes to frame ask them to replace it, not just coat.

7. Mar 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Tell them that they are full of shit. The PCV valve is replaceable on the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine without replacing the valve cover gasket. In the drawing below it is called the ventilation valve sub-assembly. It screws into the valve cover in the back rear passenger corner.

[​IMG]

pcv%20location_zpscuy1bj9r_6af2172cb3085b66053f455ff37e19e1f1ff0e53.jpg

tomwil likes this.
  8. Mar 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    Now I'm really irritated.......Why on earth would they tell me that? Your picture plainly shows the part with the threads.........I'll buy it myself and get a friend to put it in. I replaced the old ones that pop in and out.

Thanks Jimmy!

9. Mar 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Hell when I read your post it irritated the crap out of me. I have no idea why they would tell a lie like that. I guess they are too lazy to look. It only takes a few minutes to replace, Hose off unscrew it, screw in the new one and reinstall hose.

$6.69 at Oreillys Auto Parts:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...model=Tacoma&vi=1433241&year=2006&make=Toyota

10. Mar 7, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    Jimmy,
    They did say the hoses were clean and dry leading to the PCV......is that a good sign the PCV is still working properly? I'm still going to have it replaced by my buddy, but if it were sticking closed would the hoses be oily/dirty? Therefore 'possibly' causing my morning puff of blue smoke as noted by other posters?

11. Mar 7, 2016 at 2:36 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Actually I would be suprised if the hose was completely clean and dry. The PCV is a check valve that allows the intake to suck crankcase gases out of the engine and burn them in the cylinders. It also prevents any reverse flow from the intake into the crankcase. It could be a cause of the morning puff of smoke if it is stuck closed causing a pressure buildup in the crankcase.

Blue/Gray Smoke: Blue/gray exhaust smoke is an indication of oil burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible symptoms and causes:

Valve Seals: Leaking valve seals will cause blue/gray exhaust smoke.

Valve Guides: Excessive clearance between the valve stem and the valve guide allows oil to leak past the gap into the cylinder.

Piston Rings: Worn or damaged piston rings will cause blow-by, resulting in blue/gray smoke.

Worn Cylinder Walls: Worn cylinder walls cause blow-by, resulting in blue/gray smoke.

PCV System: A stuck closed PCV valve causes excessive crankcase pressure, resulting in blue/gray smoke.

Black Smoke: Black exhaust smoke is an indication of a rich fuel condition. These are possible causes:

Fuel Injectors: A leaking or dripping fuel injector will cause a rich fuel condition.

Fuel Pressure Regulator: A stuck closed fuel pressure regulator will cause a rich fuel condition.

Fuel Return: A restricted fuel return line will cause a rich fuel condition.

White/Gray Smoke: White exhaust smoke is an indication that coolant is burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible causes:

Cylinder Head: A crack in the cylinder head (around the coolant jacket) will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber.

Engine Block: A crack in the deck of an engine block near the coolant jacket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber.

Head Gasket: A damaged or blown head gasket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber resulting in white/gray smoke coming from the tailpipe.

12. Mar 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Its a stealership they are trying to scam money... mine wanted $3000 claiming $11 dollar part failed but they had to replace whole differential.
    They are retarded in most cases, so don't let them scam you.

Dealership lied about PCV I think its pretty safe to assume they lied about hose too. Like @Jimmyh wrote its highly unlikely that PCV hose is dry inside.

13. Mar 7, 2016 at 3:41 PM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Hot Tacoma Blown Well-Known Member

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Super charged,urd u - conn computer 7th injector, headers, pipe bomb y pipe,high flow exhaust.etc....
    I have had since new in05 .It puffs once and awhile.Only 80,000 miles.Nothing to worry about changed pcv last year factory one just fine.Valve stay open when you shut engine off.One cylinder exhaust stroke one intake.Happens all the time.

TheWolfePit[OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 7, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    My Camry with 169,000 miles started doing that, dealer said $1,000 to do a head job. I switched to Mobile 1 high mileage and the puff is gone. It puffed with Mobile 1, but not the high mileage version.

TheWolfePit[OP] likes this.
  15. Mar 8, 2016 at 6:54 AM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    Jimmy,
    They kept the truck overnight to see the puff of smoke in the cold this morning. No smoke. Okay. So I asked the service adviser again about the PCV and he again said it's an internal part. I asked for his email and sent him your pic and asked if he could explain this. He said 'I'll have to print this out and take it to my technician and I'll call you back'. I'll post back once they 'create' an answer. LOL

16. Mar 8, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    Okay, the tech looked at the pic and said yes this is a diagram of the 2.7l but it's not the 2.7l I have in my 2008. Unfortunately with me being in a wheelchair I can't get up and look at the motor to see, so will have to get someone else to look. The tech still says my PCV valve is internal and I questioned again about the hoses coming from the PCV system being dry and he once again confirmed they are clean and dry.

So know I feel like popping a beer and buying a horse, they seem to only be feed and I know for a fact they don't have a PCV valve, just a release valve!

17. Mar 8, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    PCV valve is easily removed with the valve cover on. I have done it several times.

18. Mar 8, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    What year and model do you have? I'll have my daughter take a pic of mine and post it later today.

19. Mar 8, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    2011 regular cab. We both have the same 2tr-fe.

20. Mar 8, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    TheWolfePit

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    Is that diagram that Jimmy posted the same as yours? If not would it be possible to snap a picture for me so I know what to try to look for. The dealer is really beginning to irritate me BAD.

Products Discussed in

To Top