1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Weather Effects?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 6L PSD, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 3:58 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Agree...

2. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    footballlacrosse

footballlacrosse Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis Martino
    CT, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    rain guards, tints, running boards
    with the 05 just let the truck warm up a bit and the clutch seems fine. only problem I had this year is I lost my digital read out thermometer. hopefully the warranty covers it lol.

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Welcome :wave:, maybe this thread will help you http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/18497-overhead-compass-temp-fix.html

As far as cold weather effects, none so far for me except the salt loves the frame but its not the cold's fault..........

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    -45 degrees !! Crap , all you can do is look south. (yea AK , not true north lol)
    My body wouldn't work in -45, i wouldn't know if my truck could .

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    footballlacrosse

footballlacrosse Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis Martino
    CT, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    rain guards, tints, running boards
  6. Jan 13, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    oh I get it now, I'm slow :eek:
    glad it works now :)

7. Jan 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    gptoy

gptoy 09 DCLB TRD Sport

Member:
    Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R TRDOR
    At -30/-40C my truck takes it's time shifting in/out of 4x4 too. I don't like to leave it on all the time so at slippery interesections/hills I'll shift in 4x4 and take it out shortly after. At those temps. I could be down the road some distance before she actually shifts. The colder it is, the longer it takes.

One thing I noticed is that even if the light is blinking, either shifting in or out of 4x4 is that it seems to be already taking effect. So, if I shift out of 4x4 and light is blinking as though it's still working on it, the truck feels like it's already shifted out of 4x4 (ie: fish tailing possible again) even if the light says the trucks still trying to work on it (I'm sure this sounds uber-confusing).

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    Hi tig1 calling-my 2009 starts fine in the cold,granted not the cold you have.we've got -12c with -21 wind chill,I just switched over to synthetic oil 5w20 and the truck runs better in the morning.

9. Jan 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    6L PSD

6L PSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCSB OR TXP
    Fogs anytime, locker anytime, Moose lights (Lightforce), Randy Ellis Design light bar
    Thanks for the replies ya'll! From the sound of it the truck is probably operating "normally" for the temperatures involved. Like I said, it's the first winter with it so I was wondering. My superduty never had these kinds of symptoms.

Most vehicles sold here come "winterized", meaning it looks like an electric vehicle cause of the plugs stcking out from the grill. In addition to the block heater it has an oilpan and batery pad heaters. Plug in at work, then into the garage at night. Some folks leave them out all year, plugged in of course.

I think before next winter I'll change over all fluids to synthetic...the engine already is. You think a higher grade of brake fluid would help the clutch pedal stiffness at lower temps???

10. Jan 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Synthetic + Cold = :)

I've always used Synthetic in my vehicles; they sound much happier on start up versus the odd time I used regular dino oil. Not to mention come oil change time they still sound like when I first did the change. Regular dino I didn't have the check the mileage to know it was time.

11. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    ugh, I read this thread last month and thought I'd better watch it as it gets pretty cold here in Northern VT.
    Well last night and tonight (after letting truck warm up for 20 min.) on the way home the 4 wheel drive wouldn't kick in, just would flash. Now it's only -10 degrees fahrenheit. I'm not pleased at all!! How will I get out of my driveway if it's below 0. The truck did eventually go into 4 wheel but not until after 5 miles or so and I was switching setting back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel when it was flashing. I want to bring it to the dealer but not really. I won't bring it back there unless I absolutely have to. With the recall and all I feel like I'll get blown off and what would they do anyway. It sounds like their all the same when it comes to this. I guess I'm used to volkswagen's great cold weather engineering. Never had any probs with the jetta in the cold, except last month when I couldn't get out my driveway to go snowboarding then immediately went out to buy this truck. What's the point if I can't use my 4 wheel below 0? !!! wtf? Is anyone else experiencing and similar or different problems in below 0 degree weather?

12. Jan 31, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I haven't had any issues with my 4WD yet for the most part. Now and then it seems to take a little longer than I would expect to go into 4WD, but that usually only happens when I try to engage it while on the move. Though we haven't had any temps even close to below 0. Lowest it's been around here is in the single digits some.

Products Discussed in

To Top