1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Weather Washing Tips/Tricks

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 03 NIGHT TACO, Dec 20, 2016.

?

How do you wash your truck in the winter?

1. Handwash in driveway

31.0%
  2. Touchless car wash

26.2%
  3. Car wash garage with pressure washer

31.0%
  4. Other

2.4%
  5. Waterless wash

9.5%
  1. Dec 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM
    03 NIGHT TACO

03 NIGHT TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Hello everyone!

I just got done washing my truck in 35 degree weather with 3 inches of new snow on the ground. That made me wonder, what are your tips/tricks/recommendations for washing your truck when it gets cold out? I have been waiting for weeks for a day where it's above freezing, and I'll take what I can get, but 35 degrees still isn't warm by any means.

IMG_6068.jpg

So what do you do differently when washing in the cold? How do you keep warm? Do you wash your truck with warm water or cold? How do you keep the water from freezing right onto your truck when it's below freezing?

I apologize if there is a thread like this already - I did a quick search and couldn't find one, but if there is, please direct me to it.

Spare Parts likes this.
  2. Dec 20, 2016 at 10:53 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    Back in November I tried Alien Waterless Wash. It worked super well. It is a bit overpriced for what it is but I will only use it during winter months. "Washed" the entire truck in 30mins.

03 NIGHT TACO[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 20, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Hmm... Never heard of it. I'll have to check it out! That would be a lot easier for winter washing I'm sure.

4. Dec 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    In spring and summer i hand wash my vehicles ... in the winter the only time i wash my vehicles is after they are covered with salt from the roads. Here where i live in Ohio they put down loads of salt and brine.
    When my truck (or wife's car) needs washed in winter i take it to a local automatic wash which has NO brushes or anything that comes in contact with paint. It washes the underside of vehicle as you pull in and also spray cleans wheels. It then does a pre-soak, wash, clear coat protectant, rain-x and spotfree rinse and then a 65-second jet dry at exit. The price is $10 and it cleans all the salt off ... and best part is i can stay inside vehicle and stay warm :thumbsup:

Here is the kind of touch free automatic car wash i use .. no brushes etc
    Screenshot_2016-12-20-14-01-15_1482260503097.jpg

NMTrailRider and Spare Parts like this.
  5. Dec 20, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    yup

6. Dec 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    MicComa

MicComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    ADK MTNS, NY
    I bring warm water to carwash in big jug and fill my wash bucket when I get there so have warm water to dip sponge in. I also put a PC of elec or duct tape over lock cylinders. Spray rubber door seals with silicone and lastly I aim dash vents towards the doors and leave heater temp and fan turned all the way up so if it does freeze I can start with remote car starter and let it run for half hour or so and it warms up enough to thaw it enough to open.

7. Dec 20, 2016 at 11:39 AM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
    +1

Touchless car wash.

8. Dec 20, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    ya, I just dealt with this last week, froze my ass off, ice all over the truck and still fing dirt. I now need to find a true touchless wash.

03 NIGHT TACO[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 20, 2016 at 11:46 AM
    WarrenG

WarrenG Well-Known Member

Member:
    We wait for 35 deg days to wash our cars in Calgary...
    Go to automatic washer then head to the mall underground parking lot and wander around the mall for a few hours

10. Dec 20, 2016 at 11:46 AM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    That's probably the better option as compared to handwashing in the driveway. I like the idea of bringing your own soap/water/stuff to a carwash place too! I tend to avoid those places as I know they recycle their water and can leave a weird film on your car but that's still better than having salt and road grime all over it.

11. Dec 20, 2016 at 3:24 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    It got above freezing here today so I took the truck in and used the hand wand at the car wash. Used the soap and then rinse cycles. I never got to hand dry it because the wind was blowing pretty good so wind chill was a factor in my not hand drying it. Drove 8 miles home and my shiny black paint had serous water spots all over it. I'm beginning to think waxing it before winter is a lost cause because the chemicals at the car wash strips the wax off. I might as well run mine through the touchless once a week until spring. At least it has the dryer that blows most of the water off as you exit.

Save the waxing for spring. I take my own soap to the car wash also in warm weather along with a bottle of Eagle One Wax As U-Dry and a couple Chinchilla buffing cloths.

12. Dec 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Yep, I end up not drying mine in the winter either because it's just not worth it, the truck just gets wet/dirty again the next time I go drive anywhere :(

CusterFan likes this.
  13. Dec 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    Know what you mean. I'm thinking my paint sealer is still on the paint. It is I'm use to at least putting Wax As U-Dry over the sealant each time I hand washed/dried it. Shines like it is wet but when you get about 10 feet from it you can see the water spots. And I park right next to the street and cars/trucks see how fast they can run between the stop signs and they really kick up the dust and grit which settles on my truck. A man can only do so much during the winter...

14. Dec 20, 2016 at 4:02 PM
    nm4553

nm4553 You had me at "Meat Tornado"

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    SCS Stealth 6 Matte Bronze on Toyo Open Country 265/70R17, Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Bilstien 6150 w/ Remote Resi, Dakar Leaf Pack, Wheeler's Bumpstop, OVTuned
  15. Dec 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    My outside faucets are turned off (interior shut-off valve) to prevent pipes from freezing.

Touch free auto from December - May here. There's one nearby that has a powerful & multi angled bottom blast. Works well with enough for me considering it's winter and will get dirty again soon. I run through it generally weekly or as needed.

16. Dec 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    MrZoggs

MrZoggs Ainokea

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB Sport
    Some Stuff...
    I am fortunate enough to have a garaged (doors at each end) washing bay near by. You know the kind you feed quarters, comes with a pressure washer that sprays soap, wax, water, etc. And that rubbish soap dispensing brush.

They operate so long as it's above 15 degrees here and being able to close the doors is amazing. Usually the water is heated and soap is very foamy.

Because of my local areas impossible desire to absolutely smother the roads with salt. I usually end up spraying the entire truck down x2-3 times a week.. usually cost me 2-4 bucks each time I do it, which is about 10 minutes.

The key is to really get the under carriage and all the tight little cracks and spaces that like to collect salt. I suggest crawling around under your truck feeling around and looking what areas are more prone to collect dirt and salt. If your over the top like me you can dry the truck and spray down chassy and suspension parts with white lithium. Bushing with silicon lubricant and zerks with the occasional regreasing..

I spend too much time and money on my truck to let the environment destroy my truck because I was too lazy to keep up with it. I also sand away and paint any rust I find at first sighting. I also have the undercoating and paint sealant applied every year...

I've also hooked my pressure washer up to my water heater before (hose was frozen) and sprayed my truck in the driveway to dry in my garage...

However, back on topic.. any touch less car wash with a good under carriage sprayer works great.

17. Dec 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I go to the local pay n spray. I use rinse only to spray off heavy crud. I don't use their soap since it tends to be a bit acidic due to cleaning nature. I then go home and do a rinseless wash using Adams Rinseless Wash. Then dry.

Mush Mouse and 03 NIGHT TACO[OP] like this.
  18. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    The touchless car washes with an undercarriage spray would be nice for sure. I should find one nearby... you can only do so much with a hose spraying from the side. Waterless wash seems to be popular as well. I will have to pick some up soon then!

19. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Poll added :D

20. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I'm not finicky about car washes. I have a unlimited pass to a car wash and run it through maybe 2-3 times a week. Car wash technology is way better than it used to be. The spinning brushes are microfiber that release dirt particles. It washes the undercarriage, dresses the tires, sprays wax, and 2 workers hand dry it. My truck is black and I've never seen scratch lines. My truck is always clean even in 15 degree weather like it was Monday.

Products Discussed in

To Top