1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colinb17's Little Red Rocket Build: 1988 Fiero

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by colinb17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Dec 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Shhhh. Mums the word.

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  2. Dec 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    Adventurous

Adventurous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB SR5
    Cool build! Gonna have to go through all of it at some point here. My buddy has a pretty clean 88 Fiero that he swapped in a supercharged 3.8L out of a Grand Prix. It really moves when you get into the throttle, not to mention its awesome having the supercharger whine so close to you.

Nickel, MadDaddy and colinb17[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 17, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    yeah, you really can't get much closer to your head with one of these. my L4 with the cat removed sounds like a monster in the cab. can't imagine was his must sound/feel like.

[​IMG]

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Dec 19, 2016 at 7:25 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Front end aero shenanigans complete, minus the larger turnbuckles that need to be swapped in for the center two.

Noticeable difference at ~65mph and higher

In the last picture you can see the two steel braces I built last week, that support the bumper and splitter from the front crossmember.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ChadsPride, eccracer104 and FIRE74 like this.
  5. Dec 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Looks very nice. Subtle too. Has your wifey driven it yet?

Did the headlights wink at you?

6. Dec 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    no winks yet ;)

she has ridden in it a lot, but has yet to drive it. the car is to the point (reliability a durability wise), that I feel comfortable teaching her stick with it. However, I've learned anything about her and vehicles/technical things in the last 15 years, it's that I ask if I can teach her something once. if she says no, I let here initiate on her own if she changes her mind.

looking forward to teaching my brother stick over the holidays though. before you ask, yes, I am disappointed that he doesn't know how to drive one. told him if he succeeds in learning, that i'll stop telling his girlfriends that he's gay. he hasn't hit me that hard in a while. good thing he's a girlyman who doesn't know how to drive stick
    :rimshot:

HomerTaco and eccracer104 like this.
  7. Dec 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Well said then.

8. Dec 19, 2016 at 11:19 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Got the new spark plugs, wires, and coolant temp sensor installed. plugs were in good shape and really didn't need replacing, but I don't know their history, and plugs for this think are line $2 a piece, so it was worth the $8 and 20 minutes for a new set. the connections on the old wires seemed to be in decent shape, but because of the routing, the shielding was getting chewed up in a couple of places. rerouted the new wires to avoid this.

all that I have left to install for now, is the new fuel filter. it's been either 16 degrees, or 60 and pouring rain, neither of which is ideal for crawling around under a car. Wednesday/Thursday are looking decent though, so I should have the new filter in before driving up to DC for the holidays.

Nickel and Torspd like this.
  9. Dec 23, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    finally had a warm non raining evening earlier in the week. go the fuel filter swapped out for the new one, and replaced the O-rings. old filter was dirty, but definitely not the stock one. couldn't have been more than 5-10 years old. no immediate differences were noticeable, but it's nice to know that at the very least, the fuel pump isn't working as hard.

2016-12-21 17.38.39.jpg

also got the center splitter supports swapped out for the larger ones in a much stronger upper location.

discovered the most recent first world problem.....
    2016-12-22 17.01.30.jpg

uninstalled size comparison with the new, larger supports.

2016-12-22 17.19.47.jpg

new vs old
    bigger support at a much better angle.
    2016-12-22 17.17.17.jpg

Done.

2016-12-22 17.35.35.jpg

Attached Files:

ChadsPride, Nickel and eccracer104 like this.
  10. Dec 23, 2016 at 7:57 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That looks much better.

That filter looks awful.

11. Dec 23, 2016 at 8:02 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    thanks Mark.

the dark color of the filter is just because it was still saturated with gasoline. I let it sit out overnight, and it was a light tan once it dried. there was some crud built up at the bottom as you can see though. based on some of the photos I've seen on the fiero forums, this was not nearly as bad as some.

12. Dec 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Oh ok. That's good. Means the previous owner was a bit more attentive to its PM needs.

13. Dec 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Biscuits, colinb17[OP] and Torspd like this.
  14. Jan 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
  15. Jan 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    When is track day?!?!??!?!?!

16. Jan 5, 2017 at 3:25 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    further away than I would like. trying to quit my job and move to Charleston, SC sometime in March. a lot of my time now is going to getting the house ready to sell, and locking in the right job, while the wife starts planning out the house we want to build there

17. Jan 5, 2017 at 5:26 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Good enough reason for me.

18. Jan 5, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    for now I just have to settle for drifting the neighborhood roundabouts, and hugging the turns on the way to get groceries.

Nickel likes this.
  19. Jan 5, 2017 at 6:06 AM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Congrats and good luck.

Houston would have my vote :rolleyes: but Charleston & South Carolina are both damned pretty.

...So kinda like the rampant golf carts running around our neighborhood.

20. Jan 5, 2017 at 6:11 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    What's prompting the move Colin? And you will have a job in the bag before quitting the current one, right?

It's not a good time to just say fuck it and hope for the best. Believe me, I'd love too. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top