1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colinb17's Little Red Rocket Build: 1988 Fiero

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by colinb17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mar 1, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Looks great! What's the splitter made out of?

2. Mar 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    I still think this needs more height and some Dmacks

3. Mar 1, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Polyurethane. Really easy to trim, drill, etc, but unlike a carbon or kevlar, it does need a little extra support.

I have no idea what that means....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 3, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Gaunt596

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Dmacks are a brand of rally tires, and pretty good ones too.

5. Mar 3, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I see, said the blind man. I can put the stock mud flaps back on to look the part..... They'd probably drag on the ground bow though.

6. Mar 4, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    Gaunt596

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    "self clearancing" Just like the muffler hanging from the MR2 in the parking lot today

colinb17[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 10, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
  8. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Did a wheel bearing last week. The hub I pulled off seems to have a Pontiac part number on it, meaning it'll be worth keeping and rebuilding myself with some timken or better bearings. The one I I stalled is an aftermarket unit, but is professionally assembled by the guy who is known for having the best packaged bearing assemblies for these cars, so it should do the trick.

The fact that this has a Pontiac part number on it, means that it could very well be an original bearing with close to 200k miles on it. Previous owner had a lot of service reciepts, and when bearing was not one of them.

Anywho, an old bearing like that made for a difficult uninstall.

Had to made my own press, since nothing I had was small enough, and the really want enough room to swing the 4lb sledge.

Some all thread, 3 nuts, and a washer did the trick. Jam the two outer nuts so you can hold the all thread still, and then sure the inner but against the hub flange. The tip off the all thread will press against the spindle until the hub is out. If you get to the point that you can't turn the wrench anymore, slap the sides with the sledge to break it loose. Then start turning the wrench again. Repeat until the assembly falls out.
    KIMG0127.jpg

I used a chisel as well to help persuade it.
    KIMG0128.jpg

After getting it out, you can see why it gave me so much trouble. The wetness is penetrant, not water, but still nice and rusted in.
    KIMG0129.jpg

Cleaned up with a die grinder and fine grit flapper
    KIMG0131.jpg

Anti seize on the new unit to make future swaps easier
    KIMG0132.jpg

And done! It's a shame what salty roads and a gravel parking lot does to your vehicle. I never painted the dust shields, but the rest of the suspension was a nice shiny black when I started driving this a few months ago.
    KIMG0133.jpg

FIRE74 and Torspd like this.
  9. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Tech tip. Hover above salted roads.

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  10. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    My 2001 Subi was the same, when it came time to replace the rear bearings. Not only were they seized in the knuckles, but the axle shaft's splines were also rusted into the hub. Double fail. :frusty:

Same as you, cleaned them up, and antiseized everything. I can always deal with that little mess, over that mechanical hassle. Yuck.

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    When I pulled the motor and transmission out last year, I was legit worried that the axles were going to be stuck in the hubs, and that was going to be my big holdup. Licking they came right out, but it had me nervous.

Side note, only one casualty while doing this bearing
    image.jpg

12. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    For those off camber angles. Lol.

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  13. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    "Licking"? :laugh: I know you love the car, but that is a strange fetish.

BKill and Nickel like this.
  14. Mar 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I swear I meant "luckily" :rolleyes:

15. Mar 22, 2017 at 5:46 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    New lug nuts. While I love the design of the ones I have, they just aren't right for my application. Current lug nuts are a steel body with an aluminum floating, conical washer. Unfortunately, the bore in the wheel for the lug nuts is so small, that when the nuts were torqued down, the aluminum washer squished a little, wedging itself in the wheel. So now when I remove the nuts, the washers are stuck in the wheel. Lucky me now gets to cut/grind each and every one of the washers out before the new, all aluminum nuts go on.

image.jpg

16. Mar 22, 2017 at 5:59 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Looking sweet man!

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  17. Mar 22, 2017 at 6:13 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Thank you, Chad :cheers:

ChadsPride[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 22, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Ugh. What a headache.

colinb17[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  19. Mar 22, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    makes me wish it was a 4 lug......

Nickel, HomerTaco and ChadsPride like this.
  20. Mar 23, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    got some parts in yesterday. mostly little stuff, but one of them has mad the most major handling difference that I have ever gotten from a single small part like this. so I'll start there.....

the engine and transaxle (transmission and differential built into one) sit on 3 mounts, with a brace on top. there is a forward mount on the transmission, a rear mount on the differential, and a mid-mount on the motor. they sit in a triangle, and provide plenty of support. then on top of the motor is a "dogbone", which stabilizes the motor when torque is applies to the assembly by accelerating or engine breaking.

since getting the car operable, if been experiencing a lot of forward and backwards jerking immediately after shifting gears, and while driving at low RPM in 1st and 2nd gears (below 15 mph). originally I thought, damn, I'm absolutely terrible at driving this car. then I dug into things a little bit. turns out the rubber bushings in the original dogbone were shot. cracked, torn, and missing pieces. I think there's actually a photo of it somewhere earlier in this thread. so I called up my uncle (fiero enthusiast), and asked if he had any spares or replacement bushings laying around. two days later a dogbone showed up in the mail. it was also an original, with 28+ year old bushings in it, however the bushings weren't torn, just very old. so I went ahead and swapped it out. there was a noticeable improvement, and the jerking went away completely under normal driving conditions, and lessened in the under 15 mph range. however, when I was really getting on it, it was still very much there.

there are two options left at this point. swap out for polyurethane bushings, or go to a solid mount. I said what the hell and ordered an adjustable solid mount. OH MY WHAT ADIFFERENCE :eek: life-changing almost. right away, as soon as you start the car, you feel it, not in an annoying way, but there's just the right amount of vibration transferred into the seats, that you feel better connected to the car. slow speeds are not a problem anymore, and hard accelerations and engine breaking are now quick, precise, and predictable.

what I never realized until now, is that the "heavy duty" clutch and pressure plate i installed was going to waste until now. if I everpopped the clutch from a standstill. the result would be a feeling similar to wheel hop in a leaf spring truck, and relatively disappointing acceleration. with the new dogbone, a popped clutch results in immediate acceleration, or with the brakes applied, a nice little gokart burnout. no hopping or jerking at all.

now since you've read half a book, some pictures....

the new solid mount dogbone.

not much movement is needed in the rod ends, but there is a little bit of transverse movement in the motor (mostly on turns), so the guy who makes these machines out the spacers to allow for the rod ends to have just enough freedom to rotate.

engine bay with factory dogbone installed (aluminum with rubber bushings

close-up

new solid dogbone installed

close-up

my only complaint with the new dogbone is that it is made with two right-hand threads, meaning to adjust it, you have to unbolt one end. not a big deal since it's easy to do, just a small critique

changing gears, I finally got around to ordering a new trim piece with a new side marker/turn signal lens. factory piece has been faded and broken since I bought the car.

Through the forums, I came across a company that specializes and reproduction "classic car decals". it's mostly muscle car badges and the like, but they have a great recreation of the old "Fiero Racing" logo. this logo was adapted from the "Pontiac Racing" logo, when fieros started to appear in more and more races (think TRD putting a Tacoma through Baja in the stock class kind of thing).

Lastly, I used my lug nut debacle as an excuse to buy some more tools. thus, a nice selection on new die grinder bits.

These things are magic. A little spendy, but they eat through hardened steel like butter. Radnor part numbers below in the same order as above.

Nickel and FIRE74 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top