1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colinb17's Little Red Rocket Build: 1988 Fiero

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by colinb17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mar 23, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Woot. Loving that new dog bone. Equivalent to me installing traction bars in the rear. Plant and go.

Looks like I'll be grabbing some of those bits as well. :thumbsup:

2. Mar 23, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    With two right hand threads there isn't a chance of it loosening at least.

Can't remember did you go through the rest of the bushings on the car? I bet that entire car could use replacements.

I have a full set of replacement rubber bushings coming for my car (OE style). Unfortunately the company doesn't have a fiero set.

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    good comparison. two different parts yielding the same result.

you'll love the bits. just go slow at first, ask me how I know...... :bananadead:

a number of the rubber components have been replaced, but I do need to do more.

transmission and differential mounts were replaced when I had the motor out. the motor mount itself was in good shape though and appeared to have been replaced at some point. all of the bushings and rubber spring isolators were replaced when I redid the suspension. all that's left really are the bushings in the suspension arms. and the sway bar bushings. none of them are falling apart, but I would still like to replace all of them with polyurethane. prothane makes all of the necessary bushings. sells them In a kit for under $200 I think. it's like 20 different bushing sets :eek:

FIRE74 and ChadsPride like this.
  4. Mar 23, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    29 years has probably deteriorated them a bit even if they do look ok. Guarantee the car will feel better once they get replaced as well.

5. Mar 23, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    for sure! I just have to wait until we move. house is currently listed for sale, and it doesn't look good if I have a car in the driveway on jackstands when someone comes buy to check the place out.

ChadsPride likes this.
  6. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    finally tracked down some over the roof scoops for the gokart! estimates typically say there were roughly 2000 pairs made (which is a very small number). Add to that, that those 2000 pairs were made 30 years ago, and who knows how many are left. if a pair comes up for sale, either on a forum, facebook, or ebay, it is rare that they last more than a few hours. I got lucky with my timing on Friday and claimed a pair. seller went by the post office today for a shipping quote, and they will be sent out on Friday...........from Europe.

it's weird that nearly all of the parts for my Japanese truck come from the US, but this is now the 3rd item for my American made car that is coming from Europe.

I do have a question for you guys, but first, piktars!

not the ones I'm getting, but pictures of the scoops from google.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the question......

The scoops are extremely good at forcing air into the engine bay, be if for cooling or the intake. at least initially, I will used these for cooling purposes (and I just like the look). however, the run so much air into the engine bay that there is an issue with the air circulating back out. there are numerous reports of people saying their ass end got very light at high speeds after putting them on with no other modification, because all of the air wants to go out the bottom of the engine bay, creating lift.

There is a simple and proven solution to this; a decklid vent between the scoops. my question is how to vent it, both for aesthetics and functionality.

Options are as follows:

some 84 fieros came with a center decklid vent, but I think it looks pretty terrible
    [​IMG]

other people go all out an fiberglass in a louver. honestly, that's a little more work than I want to do.
    [​IMG]

my inbetween solution is to get a nice louver or hood scoop, cut a hole in the decklid, and bolt it down. my problem is that I have a limited amount of space to work with, since I have the contoured decklid that was put on "performance" models. the raised section that I can cut out is roughly 21'' side to side, and 12 inches front to back. so I need a vent that fists that space.

if I go with a backwards facing hood scoop, the carbon WRX scoop is a nice fit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-WRX-G...m5b27561043:m:mTXfDtXI5N-t7Maqqjdk_8Q&vxp=mtr
    [​IMG]

a recessed reverse scoop would also be great, but I'm having a hard time finding dimensions on them ,and fear they'd be too large based on the photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to do one large louver like this, but again, they are all too big, as they are meant to take the entire hood of a corvette or similar
    [​IMG]

and finally, I guess I could put two NACA style intake ducts backwards on it. while that would be very minimalistic, I feel it would just look odd
    [​IMG]

so with the WRX hood scoop currently being the easiest option, do yall have any suggestions on where to look, or prefferences on the looks of each style? my first resort was to check APR, but they had a lot of inlet ducts and very few vents. after a couple more pages like that, I resorted to ebay, where I've found most of the above.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ChadsPride likes this.
  7. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Depending on your car's underbelly, don't forget about inverted wings. Such as on Ferrari's and the like. I mean, yours is practically a Ferrari. :D

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I've actually been trying to find ones like that, but in the opposite orientation. I need something wide, but not long. most of the ones that style are long but not wide. and the square shaped ones are just really small.

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Next question. How fast are these people driving, when they notice this lift that you speak of?

11. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Seibon or VIS have anything to offer?

12. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    yes, totally a ferarri :poking:

you mean like this? guy literally took a factory spoiler, wingstands and all, and bolted it to the bottom, upside down.....

[​IMG]

not over 100 from what I can tell.

Nickel likes this.
  13. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    unfortunately no. seibon had some larger parts (too large), and I couldn't find anything from VIS, since it's mostly vehicle specific, and hard so search by part type.

14. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    You thought of buying a louver press and making your own? Or a sheet metal shop should have one, should be pretty easy to make a 12x21 louvered piece. I remember back in the day when it was popular to louver your hood, body shops were doing it.

15. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    that's a very good idea! i'll have to look into some dies. I have a 12 ton press in the garage that is plenty wide for something like this.

Nickel[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  17. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    aaaaaand nevermind. looks like louver punches in the size range I need are as much as what I paid for the car :eek:

if I go the fabricated route, i'll probably just build a frame the dimensions I need, and then weld in angled flat bar.

something like this, but a rectangle
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Nickel likes this.
  18. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    gotcha! I've always called those diffusers, but I know exactly what you mean now. I actually started looking into building one of those when I started the front splitter.

19. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    In conjunction or independant of the diffusers, but we both are on the same level now. :thumbsup:

I like that last photo.

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  20. Mar 27, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    just be aware, the WRX scoops are not flat on the bottom, they have a curve to match the hood of the car in two directions, so they take a fair amount of fitting work to sit flat

colinb17[OP] and Torspd like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top