1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colinb17's Little Red Rocket Build: 1988 Fiero

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by colinb17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    So once the new clutch is in, then time for the track?!??

2. Aug 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    when the new clutch is in, I still have to put in the new exhaust, new brakes, and new suspension. then it's track time.

3. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    So next week? :D

4. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Was on the phone with my mom the other day, and she suggested I just take a week off of work and just finish the thing in one shot. I feel like she's more excited for it to be on the road than I am :eek:

Torspd[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    Tacomagirl64

Tacomagirl64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    King Coilovers 3", AllPro upper control arms, fabtech rear shocks, Avis Offroad Bed rack and roof rack, Avid sliders, Ulta 16" Baja wheels and 285/75/16 KO2s
    How do you like the seats you bought? I'm thinking something similar for my prelude project.

Great progress and looks like a fun car!

6. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:46 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I like them so far. granted the only seat time I have in them is from installing the steering wheel and stereo. they are certainly purpose built though. the side bolsters are not there for show, so consider your size and the size of your passengers if you buy them. I'm 5'9'', and about 185 lbs, with medium/wide shoulders. with the exception of my shoulders being a little wide, I feel like I am a very average sized person, however, I'm about the biggest you'd want to be in these seats. see picture below. they are inexpensive ebay seats, so cost had to be minimized somewhere. adjustable seat rails are nice, and the reclining mechanism is nice. on par with some brand name seats I've sat in. the material is where they cut cost. I imagine that i'll have to get new seats in 5 years when the fabric wears out. however as cheap as they are, I don't mind that one bit. given the above however, they would not be a fit for a truck, due to the abuse that those seats seem to take with wheeling and tossing tools on them.

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Crom likes this.
  7. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I like your car build. :)

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:59 PM
    Tacomagirl64

Tacomagirl64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    King Coilovers 3", AllPro upper control arms, fabtech rear shocks, Avis Offroad Bed rack and roof rack, Avid sliders, Ulta 16" Baja wheels and 285/75/16 KO2s
    Awesome, thanks so much for the information. I am restoring an 86 prelude and have so much in it (started when I was 17 so 13 years now) that I wanted to go with sparco seats, but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra grand. I've been on ebay and found those and a few similar that I like but have never met anyone who has them installed. I think I'll give them a shot, thanks so much!

Looking forward to seeing your cars progress!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Sparco, Seibon, Recaro ( they have XL seats), Cobra, all worth the added cost, especially when you notice how much the cheaper ones can flex. Those all have ratings and crash test approvals. Now this is just my opinion, but falls in line with others which are concerned about safety as well. In the end, it is your choice, as always, but consider the possibility of worst case scenarios.

Here is a very good quote from another forum of mine.

"Unlike carbon hoods or trunks, where saving some money doesn't have terrible downsides, if you scrimp when it comes to safety you can DIE.

If you are going to get non-oem seats, get ones that pass FIA and SFI crash test standards. If you are going to get fixed back seats, get a roll bar as well since you will be held upright by the seat in case of rollover (compared to sliding out of the way with stock stuff). Using seats without a rollbar is stupid, frankly. Even dumber if you use harnesses without a bar.

Safety works as a system. You either do all of it or none of it, halfassing or going with a cheaper replica brand is playing russian roulette with your life.

FWIW, there is a huge difference in quality, stiffness, and safety between mid level cheap seats (Corbeau FX1, for example) and high level proper race seats (Sparco/Cobra/Recaro/OMP/Racetech). I have a Corbeau and a Sparco Evo2 in my car. I can flex the back of the Corbeau, I cannot in the Sparco. The sparco fits WAY better, has much better materials, is way stronger and stiffer, and is more comfortable. The Corbeau is 1/3 the cost, and feels waaaayy cheaper than that.

Since you asked, the cheaper seats have failing issues like weak back strength, cracking, reclining mechanisms failing in accidents, and more. It really depends on the seat how well they will work with stock seatbelts. As for height, it depends how you mount them.

Do it right or don't do it. Losing weight is admirable but you clearly aren't racing or autocrossing due to your haphazard weight reduction (i.e. your parts don't fit in one class nicely). Why you are bothering doing all this for a street car is beyond me, there is NO benefit to be had in losing 100lbs while severely compromising safety.

I think you are looking at spending considerable money to make your car less safe and marginally lighter. Bad plan."

Some points will apply, and some may not.

Crom likes this.
  10. Aug 16, 2016 at 8:16 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I guess for a proper review of my seats, I should have tried to flex them before installing them. the fiero is an extremely small car, so even if these seats do flex, I will never know, because the back is all of the way against the back of the cabin, and the side bolsters are against the b pillar on one side and the center console on the other. they could be super flexible for all I know, but because of the vehicle itself holding them in place, there is no flex.

this could certainly be a concern for Sarah, with a rear seat, where the structure of the car does not support the seatback and sides.

Torspd and Crom like this.
  11. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Purdy new flywheel.

image.jpg

12. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Curious if you'll find "lost" power?

13. Aug 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    With the condition of the clutch when I got bought the car, this flywheel could probably be twice as heavy and still move the car quicker. The light weight flywheels for this thing are more than 1/3 of what I paid for the car :anonymous:

14. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Savings on the car means more money for the mods. :D

15. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    You mean more money for tearing down the truck and starting from scratch :lalala:

16. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    La lala...lol

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  17. Aug 24, 2016 at 5:33 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    had to get a new motor mount. old one had completely ripped in half. probably due to the tremendous torque numbers the 2.5L L4 engine cranks out.

2016-08-22 21.57.21.jpg

Crom likes this.
  18. Aug 24, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Jawsome torque!!!!

colinb17[OP] likes this.
  19. Aug 24, 2016 at 6:37 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    I've had over a dozen of these things....fun cars. The Turbo4 is prob. the way to go. Everything else gets tight/heavy. (newer alum. V's may work well, I've never driven one)
    I always got mileage close to you...upper 30's.
    it really was built to be an economy car, too bad they never really built a good running one (Grand Nat. Buick engine)
    They may have caught on as a true sports car.

20. Aug 24, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Jesus, dozens?!?! i mean, for less than a grand each for a parts car, i can see having a yard full of donor cars, but that's a lot of Fieros!

Products Discussed in

To Top