1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

College Football

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by wareaglesc88, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I think we have a better chance than the national media is giving us. I think Florida should be favored, b/c they're more explosive, but the old addage "defense wins championships" will be tested again on Saturday.

My freshman year at Alabama we were pre-season #3... we went on to win 3 games that year. During the five seasons I was in college (including grad school), we were 1 game off of .500 (I can't remember if we were a game above or below .500).

I'm still in shock over the season thus far, and I'm not used to going into games thinking, "we can do this." I always felt more like, "please get a lead by halftime and just don't screw up!"

ROLL TIDE!

2. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    roll tide!!!

3. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

x2

bama wins out and that dismantling of clemson in the first game wont look near as bad

4. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    very true

5. Dec 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    DAMN IT!

That Tebow kid is a freak of nature. It was painful to watch us lose, but they were pretty clearly a better team. Saban's ahead of schedule, and I'm really looking forward to the next few years. Besides, the Sugar Bowl isn't too shabby for this year!

Roll Tide... and Go Gators, beat the Sooners!

6. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:12 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    you got a push. the point spread was 11

7. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:33 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    Not an Oklahoma Fan but DAMN they are looking pretty much unstopable the past 6 games..

8. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    they sure are. i can't see them scoring 60 points against the Pouncey twins and Brandon Spikes along with the rest of the Florida defense. should be a great game

9. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    As a sooner fan... I still think texas got robbed

10. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:38 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    chomp chomp chomp! that was actually pretty hard to say for me being that i grew up a Tennessee fan. But really it was a well played game from both teams. It was obviously favored that florida was going to win and i honestly think bama was lucky that persey was hurt and tebow wasn't as super tonight. however, I owe respect where it is due and offer a roll tide to you mws4ua. Yes an auburn fan just offered respect and said roll tide to an alabama fan.

11. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    That must have been difficult to say, and I appreciate it. I hate nothing more than the douche-bag AU fans who started screaming "Go Gators" as soon as we beat them.

I assume that Florida will get to play OU for the national championship. I'm going to be REALLY pissed if UT somehow stays above Florida. Despite what OU has been doing lately, I still think Florida is the best team in the nation. Tebow IS superman, and w/ a healthy Pearcy Harvin, I think the Gators are going to roll over OU. There is no defense in the Big 12. There is all kinds of fantastic offense and great quarterbacks, but Florida will take care of business.

12. Dec 7, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    In all honesty man, I've ran into just as many douche bama fans. It's the purpose of rivalry. It just wouldn't be the same if everyone liked both teams. It's always a battle of "who's classier". I'm not gonna lie, A bama fan where I work was talking all kinds of crap after the iron bowl so I owed him a chomp chomp. To me its all just a matter of give and receive, it's never offensive.

13. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    Screw Texas! We Texas Tech beat them head to head and at least they get a BCS game. It sucks there was a 3 way tie for the big 12 but at least it has been a great year. I know that OU is the best team in the conference and in the country. I know they will represent the BIG 12 right and beat Florida by at least 14.

14. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:14 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    opening line is Oklahoma -1.5 over and under is a whopping 73

15. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:51 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    How did Texas get robbed?

16. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    damn you and your stupid red wave!!! you owe me what i lost! i'll give you my paypal and you can just wire me what you owe me

17. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:29 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Just go double or nothing on Florida. Don't worry. Where we fell short, Florida will pull through.

Sure thing. Seriously.

18. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:39 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    In the sense that everybody advanced (or didn't advance) according to the rules that were agreed upon at the beginning of the season, nobody got robbed.

But in the sense that you had a three way tie where one team was clearly not at the same level as the other two*, and of the two teams, the one that lost to the other at a neutral site was able to advance to both the conference championship and national championship, Texas was absolutely robbed. Texas beat OU head to head by 10 points at a neutral site.

*Here's why Tech isn't at the same level. Texas lost to them at their house. At the end of the game, Texas methodically marched down the field for the go-ahead score, but made the mistake of leaving a minute and a half on the clock. Tech's freak-of-nature receiver ended up making an incredible catch at the end to go in for the win. Tech went to play OU, the same team that Texas handled by 10 points, and got run out of Norman as OU put up 60+ on them. The polls reflected exactly what I believe... Texas and OU were elite teams, Texas Tech was a very good team. If the Big 12 had the same system as the SEC for 3-way ties, the team that I believe deserved to go to the Big 12 championship game would have gone, won, and be headed to Miami to lose to Florida.

BUT, as I said in the beginning, OU got to the conference championship because of the rules to which ALL Big 12 teams agreed before the season. As such, I have no problem with the way it turned out, and no sympathy for those left on the outside looking in.

19. Dec 8, 2008 at 7:13 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    good idea! i wish someone told me that you could lose money betting. i just assumed betting on sporting events was a surefire 100% way to double your money. i was starting to wonder why everyone didnt just quit their jobs and bet on sporting events..... now i know. Maybe i'll just start playing the lottery, i'm sure if i dump my entire bank account in the lottery i'll eventually get a big pay off....

20. Dec 8, 2008 at 8:09 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.

I don't disagree with what you have said. I do, however, want to add that OU has a more impressive resume over the entire course of the season. Our one loss was to the number 5 team at a neutral site. Thier's was a loss to the then #7 team on the road. We beat more ranked opponents than they played. Our margin of victory was better amoung our common opponents as well. And before someone says we ran up the score on teams I would like to point out that in the 4th quarter OU scored 72-78 versus its opponents. Texas scored 115-61. Sam Bradford's rediculous numbers were made with the equivilent of sitting on the bench for 2-3/4 games (total time on the bench during offensive possetions) this year. Colt McCoy was never pulled with more than 5 minutes to go.

My stance is that Texass has every right to feel left out, but not robbed. They didn't take care of business down the stretch and didn't schedule a robust non-conference schedule. And personally I would have rather seen a rematch game between OU-UT than with Florida, because I think it would have been even more epic than OU-Florida (which I am still completely stoked about).

Products Discussed in

To Top