1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

College Life (Help Needed)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChamYota, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    FarmBoyTaco

FarmBoyTaco Work Hard, Stay Humble

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    California
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road DCSB MGM
    All of the above plus time management

2. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    haha this thread is great

3. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Ohhhh it will be ;)

4. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Get to know some of the football or basket ball players. They will know the "easy" teachers. Take these teachers for the courses that have nothing to do with your area of study. Avoid these teachers for any course that is in your field.

5. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Yeah my teachers for my gen ed classes are among the easiest so im happy about that. Keep this thread going :D

6. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Go out and meet new people, hope to god that you have a semi cool room mate. Enjoy.

7. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    tacobot

tacobot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Quarters!
    For laundry.... and to play quarters.

A plastic caddy for shampoo/razor/soap in the dorm showers.

I kept a Brita in my fridge too, next to the beer. I also used those under-bed rolling storage things, since I had roommates and the dorm space was tiny.

8. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Laptop lock.

My buddy got his Mac Book Pro stolen out of his LOCKED dorm room. There is a way to slip a couple hangers under the door and pull on the handle so you can get in without a key.

If you ride a bike on campus, get a bomb proof lock and chain. Not the u-bolt, you can slip a scissor jack in the u-bolt lock and crank on the jack to break the lock open. Get the thick bullydog cable and a combo dial lock, like the $15 one for a trailer. Not the cheap ass locker dial style.

If you plan on keeping your truck with you, keep valuables out of site and nothing you're willing to loose, like an iPod or GPS in the vehicle. Sometimes robbers just break into a vehicle to LOOK for things, not the fact that they saw something valuable.

Also, never take your vehicle to car meets around campus. Robbers scout those meets.

Get a shower carrier, so you can leave your soap and shit on the carrier instead of having your hands full.

Hot water is always nice for ramen and tea. An electric kettle is much better option for warming water than a microwave. Some people even have those water coolers so they can have cold and hot water whenever they want. The 5 Gal jugs is a PIA to carry from the parking lot to your dorm though.

A reusable water bottle that is either dishwasher safe, or you have a bottle brush that you keep stored in the freezer. A lot of people don't understand the benefit of having water at hand. Keeping your body hydrated is always a plus.

I would also recommend getting your CCW, know your campus's knife carry laws, and CCW laws. Carry a flashlight and a spare pen.

Hit the gym at least 3 times a week to stay healthy and release stress. Get your sleep. Eat healthy. It's easy to fall off a good meal plan because junk food is easy to access on campus and a lot of people eat because of stress. Plus, girls don't find a pizza face fat ass attractive.

Most importantly, you are at college to FINISH and GET YOUR DEGREE. Partying, girls, drinking, friends is always a plus and great fun, but don't loose focus on the primary reason you are at college in the first place. I have known many people you have failed out of university, had to take a year or 2 off, then come back wishing they didn't loose focus in the first place.College is expensive and a big investment of your time and family's money.

Also, INTERNSHIP INTERNSHIP INTERNSHIP. Find one fast in your area of study so you're ahead of the pack with experience.

9. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    water purifier jug, like the cheap pur ones
    and a few gallon jugs. Dorm sinks are closer than water fountains, and you get to keep water in the room

doorstop for the socialite deep down

10. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Don't buy books until after you go to the first day of class. Sometimes profs will yell you you wont need the book or that you can use an older edition etc... save money.

Do your best to eat well and maintain some form of a schedule.

11. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    tacobot

tacobot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Yeh, also see if you can buy used ones either at the bookstore or online.

My good friend's dad is a prof at Clemson. You'll have fun, just keep up with the work. I wasn't a good student and wasted more time/money than I should have.

12. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Great advice. College was awesome. I made life long friends. If your interested look into the Greek system

Excellent advice

Fuckin straight truth right there. Listen to this and you'll do fine. The gym is good 1 to meet people and 2 to make yourself feel good. Keep healthy and you'll feel great about yourself.

Very true. I made that mistake my freshman year. Never did that again

13. Aug 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    FarmBoyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    California
    Vehicle:
    Use Amazon for books, I spent $700 fall quarter freshman year. This spring quarter I spent $40 on all my books except for physiology, which was surprisingly cheaper at the book store for $180.

14. Aug 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Thanks for the insight guys! I'll def consider grabbing a water bottle and the shower carrier, i hated taking multiple trips to the shower to grab stuff.

As far as books, im waiting until the first couple days so i dont waste unnecessary money.

15. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
  16. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    thanks mom

17. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    This thread hasnt gone the toilet yet. :D

Keep the suggestions going fellas!

18. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts
    Don't forget the backpack and an alarm clock.

19. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    ^ haha. Phone check and backpack check!

20. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    FarmBoyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    California
    Vehicle:
    buy an alarm clock, you wont believe how many times a phone will fail.

Products Discussed in

To Top