1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

College Major choices, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by RelentlessFab, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    So i started college last year so im currently starting my 2nd term in the 2nd year of my Major- Mechanical Engineering. To say it quickly, im really getting burned out with all the math and stuff and not 100% sure its what i really want to do. I was looking at the list of majors that my school offers and one is "Management with a focus in Marketing" and was thinking that would be an interesting and somewhat less tedious(to learn) choice.

-Do you think that it would be a wise decision to swap this far in(i'd be roughly 2 terms behind, but im just shy of a term behind in my current major anyway due to shedule conflicts)?
    -Do you think that its a place with a decent amount of quality jobs and there'll be jobs there in the future?
    -Do you think there will be a greater range of places to live and work with this major?

Im thinking 'yes' to these questions but i'd like a few other oppinions and such....:confused: maybe some pros and cons?
    Thanks guys:cool:

2. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:05 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Post secondary eng is designed to weed out the non hackers in the first and second years. Don't do Management. That shit sucks. Engineers are never without jobs, and if they are, it isn't for very long. I know about 4 engineers and they all do well for themselves. And not one of them didn't think of calling it quits during Uni. Specially around 1st and second year.

3. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    I agree-lots of good jobs in your field. Management classes are easier for a reason. Do you want to "manage" a motel for a living? That's what I see for a lot of people with those degrees doing. Hang in there - it does get better. Also, try a summer class. It's fast and a lot of work, but I love getting it over with & I've found you actually don't do as much "hard" work becuase there just isn't enough time. Good Luck!

4. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Just don't become one of those antisocial douche bag engineers who have no person to person skills. Sadly these kind of people tend to be attracted to the engineering field.

5. Jan 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    engineering fo sho. you can basically work anywhere in the world.

6. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:13 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    If you can find a Business degree, you'd be better off than a management degree. I hate engineers -- esp mechs... so I'd steer everybody away from that field... lol... :D

7. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    450, I agree with everyone above . . . Krazie is exactly right, you're at the "weeder-out" classes like statics. That was the hardest class for me but you need to find a group of buddies you go to school with that have the same major and classes. The group effort kicks ass and helps tremendously. Don't worry about all the math and science. It's not like every engineer uses everything they learned every day. I think that could be said about many majors. I graduated BSME in '95 and don't think I've used 75% of what was in every class.

As far as having engineering jobs, I think it depends on where you live. If you live in a rural area, engineering jobs may be few and far between. I live in Cleveland which is quite industrial and havn't been out of work yet (knock on wood). BUT, I'm only 14 years out of college so perhaps someone with more experience can give you a better idea.

Delmarva is correct to a point, some engineers are arrogant a-holes but not all.

8. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    and just to clarify -- I don't hate ALL engineers -- only the ones that lack any common sense... the Rube Goldbergs of the world...

In my field, they want to make sure you have a degree, but typically don't care what it is in. It's mainly to show you committed to something for part of your life. To have my job, it's all about learned experience and on the job training.

9. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    So, why ya picking on me today?? :D :rolleyes:

Go engineering, all the way. My best friend has a great gig. Travels the world all year every year. Go for it. We will be very short of engineers in this country because of all the lazy asses that only want to push buttons all day on their Playstation living in their parents basements after college.

10. Jan 7, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Ticketdoctor Senior Lettuce Washer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double TRD O.R. 4x4 Timberland Mica
    XM Radio Mod, TRD Skid Plate, Bed Mat, Weathertech, More to come.
    I would totally agree with this. I am a Civil Engineering P.E. so I understand what you are going through. The first two years are typically theory based math and science courses. The more practical courses for your field are typically the second half of your third year and fourth year.

There is always a calling for engineers somewhere. Within the last year I have been offered positions in three countries. Believe me, I am not a world renown expert by any stretch of the imagination.

When I was going through school they said the engineers stayed in and worked 5 or 6 nights a week and went out 1 or 2 nights, where the business majors went out 5 or 6 night a week and studied 1 or 2 nights.

It is very true. I went on for my MBA and it was extremely easy. Bust your ass now. The other nice think about engineering is that you can work just about anywhere depending on your interests.

Oh, I am sure most of us how are in the work force can say, after your first job, nobody is looking at your GPA. People do want to see that you have a degree.

Good luck and stay strong.

11. Jan 7, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    :eek::duel:

Some people forget where they come from. I used to be a laborer. Then I went to school. I remember working on the floor and what it was like. So I respect the job and people more because of it.

Agreed. I am a Manufacturing Engineer by training (got some classes left) and work as an Industrial Engineer. Love every minute of it, except the paper work. I have used little to none of my education, mainly because of the difference in jobs.

12. Jan 7, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    One more thing, but the most important thing. Don't major in something you're not going to like doing. If you don't "live to problem solve" or create new ideas, then don't major in engineering. The most important thing is that you'll be happy doing whatever it is you'll be majoring in.

13. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the responses guys. you're definitely helping me out here. i think part of my current thoughts on switching is stemming from my current course load. im trying to catch up in my major to graduate in 4yrs but i think i'd rather take it a little slower and do it in 5 and be able to spend more time and concentration on the classes rather than just trying to pound out my assignments.

Having the time to spend on assignments and getting A's and being a little more relaxed seems more attractive than just scurrying to finish things on time for the sake of graduating in the 4yrs. i've talked to my advisor(who happens to be the Mech eng. department head) in the past and he's said many have problems graduating in 4yrs unless they take a heavy course load or do summer schooling; which brings me to the point that i cant really afford to do summer school because thats when i make and save my money for my truck payments and so forth. It is an attractive option if two circumstances were met: a) i could swing it financially and b) the classes i needed were offered during the summer.

Again, thanks for the replys guys, they're really helping me to think of all my choices and possibilities. Anyone that wants to comment further, i'd welcome your responses too.:):cool:

14. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    Idk where you go to school or how its set up by one of my best friends is a mechanical engineer major and it is a 5 year program. Like you said earlier it is tons of math. However, he is in his 3rd year and he said it does seem to be getting better.

Thats about all I can really tell you about it because im an accounting major so I dont really know too much else about the engineering stuff at my school.

15. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    lol, dont worry bout me. I dont my socializing and am fairly good with communication, both in writing and speech. I see a lot of these kinds of people at my school- it is a tech school after all. most of them are in computer classes like software or hardware engineering though. :cool:
    A good example of this type of person is my roommate from the beginning of this year- he'd never had a job, lived entirely off his parents to the extent they still paid an allowance until he left for school and they had to pay him to take showers!:eek: He never left his computer because "it was his best friend." I kid you not, that was his response when i asked him why he never left!

16. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    450, I should have mentioned that. Sorry . . . it took me 5-1/2 hears because I co-op'd which meant working a quarter (semesters now) in the field of engineering and then returning to school the next quarter and so on. It is much easier that way and when you graduate, you have relevant experience in engineering already. Plus, some co-op jobs let you continue to work a few hours here and there while you're going to school full time. Take your time but not too long. I looked at it this way, every year I didn't have my degree was like $30K less I was earning a year. But I don't know how some people could even do it in 4 years and make a decent salary if/when they were hired after graduation.

17. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    :rolleyes:
    Thats just my TW laziness of not bothering to hit the shift key:eek:

18. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Go where your heart takes you. Mo money is nice but your happiness is worth way more. I have been a computer security engineer for over 20 years and I hate it, hate it, hate it. I would rather be doing something I enjoy. I owe to much child support to walk away from my career right now. sux2beme

19. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    finance and economics. money runs the world, its a good idea to know how it works. i "followed my dream" by getting a psychology degree and couldn't regret it more. i would love to go back and get a degree in finance and economics

20. Jan 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    Walt Corbin

Walt Corbin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Dble Cab SR5 4x4
    Revtech Lift w 285's
    See he's perfect for engineering. Everyone "nose":D engineers can't spell!!!

Don't worry about how long it takes you. In the end what matters is that you graduate. I won't say how long it took me to become a CE but it was longer than 5 yrs. Mind you that I worked full time and attended night school but it was well worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top