1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

color match grill surround

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dustinclm, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Sep 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    FlyFishVA

FlyFishVA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Leesburg
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 2.7L 4x4 5 spd
    Thread revival . . . that looks awesome. A few questions - This was originally chrome, right? Did you put any primer down before you sprayed on the dupli color? How many cans to complete the job?

2. Sep 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Honolulu HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 IFP extended travel coilovers, Fox 2.0 extended travel FJC rear piggyback shock, Icon 3 leaf progressive mini AAL pack, Total Chaos UCAs, konig countersteer wheels and 265/75/16 duratrac tires.
    Thanks! :)
    Yes, I sprayed a couple coats of primer after I wet sanded the chrome with 400 grit sandpaper. I used a dark grey primer, so I only needed a couple coats of the duplicolor. I used less than half a can. then a few coats of clear gloss with careful wet sanding in between. Do not sand the color coat tho. It will lose the metallic glitter effect. Then after the clear coat fully cures, very fine wet sand any overspray and then wax. Mine still looks great ;)

That is a lot of work to make it look good tho. If I had to do it again, I'd sell the chrome and buy a painted one!

To Top