1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Color match SuperWhite

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenJammn5, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Tried this but so far it hasn't turned out to good.

1:Sanded chrome with 600 grit
    2:Sprayed with white primer, 3 coats
    3:Sanded Primer with 600 grit
    4:Spray color match (040) via rattle can from ebay
    5: Dupli color clear enamel high gloss

Well, it's still has a rough not so shiny look. How do I get it to look shiny and feel smooth? Sheesh! I'm losing my patients with this thing... HELP How'd you do it?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Polish. I used Meguirs polish and it shines up the clear coat.

3. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wet sand, then buff

4. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    wet sand... like literally put water on the sand paper and sand away?

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    You have to becareful, but yes. How many coats of clear did you apply? I would do a min of 3 light coats of clear. Let the clear cure. Start with 1000 grit sandpaper, wet the paper in a bucket of water, and LIGHTLY sand the imperfections off until smooth. Do the same with 1500, 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Keep the paper and surface wet at all times, it keeps the grit in the paper clean.

Just keep in mind, your not "sanding" so to speak. All your wanting to do is smooth out the texture/imperfections when the clear is applied. Remember, you want to remove the minimal amount of clear, while acheaving a smooth finish

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did the clear coat react with the paint?

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    tammikm

tammikm Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
  8. Nov 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ok, I did 3 coats of clear lightly. It has cured by now since I sprayed 2 days ago. I'll try this technique. After I'm done and I get a smooth surface would it be wise to go over with clear again? Thanks for the advice Bro BWRO

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    would be nice but I already satoshied the heck out of my grill.

Products Discussed in

To Top