1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colorado passes trip plan needed

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Sparky2, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Mar 4, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    Sparky2

Sparky2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD
    I'd like to go on an overlanding type trip through Colorado that would allow me to see most of the good passes and loops without much wasted drive time.
    I've been invited to go with a group of jeeps and I'm sure that will be great... Except for one thing. They want to have a base camp in Creede. These are trailered off road jeeps towed behind RV's and such.

What I want to do is travel and camp at a new spot each night. I feel I will see and do more that way. It's the mindset I used when prepping my rig.

Here's the fun part. I have no idea where to start. I'd love to see someone else's trip where they connect passes and end up in good camp spots each night.
    Otherwise I'll haul all my crap across Colorado multiple times, but still probably have an amazing trip.

2. Mar 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
  3. Mar 6, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    Sparky2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD
    ???

I'll still go with the jeep guys for the fun and experience. Just looking for a different way is all.

4. Mar 6, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    I am looking to do the Alpine Loop sometime in the fall probably.

5. Mar 6, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    RadRed06

RadRed06 Christ Follower

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Flowood, MS
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite 4x4 OR
    Lifted on 33s
    I took a trip out there last summer and can give you some insight..

We drove to Creede and did the Bachelor Loop, great history, great views. Then drove past Creede to North Clear Creek Falls on 149 and on to Lake City. We camped off the beginning of Engineer Pass along Henson Creek, there are plenty of dispersed sites. Then drove over Engineer Pass to Animas Forks.

From there you can go a few ways. You can take County Road 2 on to Silverton which we did and then drove the Million Dollar Highway up to Ouray OR you can take California Gulch to Corkscrew Gulch/Hurricane Pass to the Million Dollar Highway and it dumps you out closer to Ouray. We then camped in Ouray along County Road 16 where there are plenty of dispersed sites and they are gorgeous.

From Ouray we did Yankee Boy Basin which is just out and back. You can then take either Imogene Pass (moderate) over to Telluride or Last Dollar Road (easy) from Ridgeway to Telluride. We did Last Dollar Road because we were worn out and wanted to relax. We camped close to Telluride along Hope Lake Road which has a ton of dispersed sites that have unbelievable views. Then we drove to Moab.

There are a ton of other passes and trails, those are just the ones we did. Ill have some pictures up later of campsites and such but that is a brief overview. Feel free to ask any questions.

View from Last Dollar Road
    P7272045.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. Mar 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Here's my .02

Colorado:

I did a week long trip in the San Juans several years ago as part of a ~15 vehicle trip. They were jeepers too. I guess it depends on the group. The group I went with was great and I developed many friendships. We camped near Silverton for free. Silverton is wonderful, has several good places to eat and a lot of history. I personally like it better due to the rustic feel and proximity to many places to drive. You can also take a ride on the Silverton-Durango narrow guage train- http://www.durangotrain.com/

If you enjoy flying there is a sailplane park just north of Durango and that was an amazing experience. Small world too...the pilot for my ride knew the owner of the flight school where I did my flight training and the tow pilot knew a scientist who helped discover the jet stream using gliders in the Owens Valley flying the Sierra Wave.

Our group camped along Mineral Creek just outside of Silverton. I think we were at Golden Horn campground. There are a few camping areas and I believe they are all free. No amenities. There are also hotels/motels in Silverton where a few of our group decided to stay. https://www.google.c...!4d-107.7438211

For the trip I was invited on, there were two reference books suggested. They are both different but have a wealth of information.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/1930193076

https://www.amazon.c...627YWGHG9WSD9ZY

I also had a few Benchmark Atlas' along for the trip.

There is so much to see and do in southwest CO even a week isn't enough time. The organizer for the trip I took part in had great attention to detail and we all heeded his departure times. It was an amazing experience. The group are primarily jeepers but many of the roads would be suitable for a truck/pop-up. I had my flippac at the time and there was only one trail that had an obstacle which I didn't want to take on. Here's a link to the trip I joined on...

http://forum.expedit...-Adventure-2012

7. Mar 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    Sparky2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm doing some serious researching.

Less than 100 days out!

8. May 17, 2017 at 12:21 AM
    AZ2013

AZ2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '13 Spruce Mica DCSB TRD OR
    Reviving this old thread. I'm doing a week long trip the middle of next month. Looking for ideas as well.

josh80 likes this.
  9. Jun 7, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    ColoToy

ColoToy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    IMO some of the most beautiful mountains in Colorado are the San Juans. Radred06 offered up some good suggestions. Depending on how much time you have I would travel the passes around Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and Lake City. The only problem may be these moutains got a ton of snow this year and some areas may still be closed although the does try to clear the passes as early as possible.

IvanCard likes this.
  10. Jun 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    Tacodriver08

Tacodriver08 To have faith, is to trust yourself to the water

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 X-Cab 4x4
    Too many to list
    Another thread bump, I did a little trip report on our last two trips to the San Juans in my build thread. Got a decent amount of pictures and some descriptions I think. Let me know if you want to know anything specific

Products Discussed in

To Top