1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Combat Duty vs Non Combat Duty

Discussion in 'Military' started by dhurley, Aug 18, 2009.

?

Does combat duty make ones service better than those who have no combat duty?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    75.5%
  1. Sep 25, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Amen, brother.

2. Sep 25, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

Well said!

3. Sep 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    dhurley

dhurley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks SS. A-1 post.

4. Sep 26, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    I have to agree with a lot of people on here, that whether you deployed or not makes absolutely no difference at all. Because if they had come to you and said "go home pack your bags and sit by the phone", i am sure you would have, and when the call came, you would have been ready. People that haven't deployed are just in line waiting for their turn, and if their turn comes up, they have already sworn to go and do what is needed. I have deployed 3 times now, which is not much compared to my fellow military members, but if they told me today to get ready to go tomorrow, I would, as i am sure you would have. The only time that it makes a difference is when you were told to go and you found a way to get out of it. Theres not enough of us out there to go everytime, and if you aren't ready to carry the weight, then i would say "Oh" and end my conversation with you, but only then would i think less that you haven't deployed.

5. Sep 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    nickbroaddus

nickbroaddus Active Member

Member:
    AC/NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sport acc cab prerunner
    IDK I'm in the coast guard and have been to colombia, haiti, dominican republic among others and apprehended armed drug smugglers and rioting migrants but almost everybody- including other servicemen give pretty much zero respect to us. Almost all the people that actually respect the coast guard think everybody is just like Ashton Kutcher from the Guardian. I know its not the same level but there are dangerous jobs that dont involve deploying to iraq.

6. Sep 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Im not going to lie I have made my fair share of jokes on the Coast Guard, but I am also aware that their is plenty of Coasties that do jobs like you mentioned above, a select few do "Guardian" type stuff.. but just like the "Ch"Air Force we both have people that are pretty much office working pencil pushers.. and not to mention the only Coast Guard member i have ever met in person told me, he spends most of his time "relaxing" on the beach at work

7. Sep 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    Jim&Tammy

Jim&Tammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco DBL Cab TRD
    Well, that's kind of presumptuous, I don't have that feeling, and I know some fellow mates that don't either, even one of them did some counternarco stuff getting the Coast Guard Special Operations award from you guys.

Every branch has their support side, some are just more designed to fill that support role.

8. Sep 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    storktaylor

storktaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner TRD Off-Road
    Bak FLip G2 ScanGauge2 Black Labrador Retriever
    IDK I'm in the coast guard and have been to colombia, haiti, dominican republic among others and apprehended armed drug smugglers and rioting migrants but almost everybody- including other servicemen give pretty much zero respect to us. Almost all the people that actually respect the coast guard think everybody is just like Ashton Kutcher from the Guardian. I know its not the same level but there are dangerous jobs that dont involve deploying to iraq.

I am a multi-time deployer to "the theater" and in for another here in the short future, and I have never met a more professional bunch than the USCG. My hat is off to you guys who get to do your mission every day and put your lives on the line to protect people from their own stupidity, and to keep the flow of drugs restrained. The Coast Guard is under manned, under resourced and yet never finds a way to say "no." While you see a line of generals bitching to congress about our budgets, you never see the Coasties there, they are too busy doing their job. You guys rock and I will go toe-to-toe with anyone who tries to say otherwise.

Just my $0.02

9. Sep 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Most of us have dissed the other services at one time or another, but when the time comes to stand shoulder-to-shoulder, we work together to make the mission, whatever it is, a success. Even when we work with the military of other countries, we seem to be able to put aside our squabbles and get things done.

10. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Yea, but nothing wrong with a little friendly rivalry. :)

11. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    ligero18

ligero18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    No, but I purposely took a combat support MOS to get deployed if/when a conflict happened. Can't blame the ones that didn't know when they signed up that they wouldn't be deployed. But, ANYBODY who serves (and serves honorably!) should be given the respect that they deserve.

On the other hand there were some shit bags that served in my unit that didn't pull their wieght and did everything they could to get out of work/deployment. They were a disgrace and should have been shot.

12. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    My answer to your original question is no & yes

No it doesn't matter...you did serve your country and were honorably discharged...Mission accomplished brother!!

Yes, it is better to serve in Combat, I served in the Navy during Desert Storm (U.S.S. Missouri) And with the Army National Guard during OEF (Afghanistan) And loved both experiences....

As it relates to badges...The Navy & Marines are not badge heavy, yeah there are some but the Combat badges there are none...we have a ribbon and pride :p

:infantry:

13. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    ligero18

ligero18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio

You also get a huge pay increase for deploying. I didn't enjoy Iraq but I would go back as a civilian for the $ too

14. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    testedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust

I agree completely, as also having been a Navy Rescue swimmer, I know the coast guard does a tough job also and they do it well....

Now lets get back to picking on the Air Force :D

15. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    Hey the Air Force isnt all fun and games. My company truck a 09 F-350 4dr 4x4 powerstroke has manual roll up windows, the remote for the plasma in the break room is broken and just the other day some Col. woke me up during my afternoon nap. I see a big shiny medal in my future. Oh and sometimes I get a blister if I have to walk all the way to the chow hall.

16. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    LOL I owe it all to my public education and recreational drugs.

17. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    4th ID LEADS THE WAY.

18. Oct 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    testedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport

I could tell you some stories of how they "led the way" when we were ripping out of AFG...:D

19. Oct 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    dbronzo

dbronzo Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    I voted yes. But there is a caveat to the yes. To me, it only applies to those who sought to hide out from deployments. I have several friends that have not had the chance to deploy down range due to assignments. I have the same respect for them as I do for my brothers that fought along side me in Iraq.
    I also know several people who have hid from being deployed. Those folks have no respect in my book. They let someone else go instead on a 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th tour. Doing your job is one thing, hiding from it is another all together.
    As long as you did your job, and were never given the opportunity to deploy then your A OK in my book. As far as the guys that stay in the wire all the time, they are there doing there job so the grunts on the ground can accomplish theres. They still get respect in my book. Although a CIB, CAB, or CFMB definitely sets you higher, they all have suffered in the SUCK.

20. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    i believe it boils down to fighting spirit. Bottom line if your job can be done by a civilian then you get less respect from me. yea it might take skill, dedication, demand long hours ect. But anybody who signs on to be the tip of the spear (ie combat MOS) is better.

im a army sgt,infantry scout, OIF vet, and i got f-ed up in the box. going on 2 years in the hospital now. i think i know what im talking about

Products Discussed in

To Top