1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Combating rust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by everleet, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    everleet

everleet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD Off Road
    Does anyone have a method you use that you have found to be particularly in the fight against rust, especially on the under body? I live in the north east and come winter, we have more salt than the atlantic on the roads.

I've heard of some sprays but nothing about their effectiveness. An old timer mechanic told me that diluting used motor oil with kerosene and coating the under body works great. Any other ideas? Thanks

2. Jun 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Blend up some paraffin wax with that combo and heat it slightly till you can no longer get any more paraffin to dissolve. I think about 80 degrees preheat. Oh remember it's fuel, it's flammable. don't do that in the house. Or if you must use hot water as the source of heat.

That's one method.

Probably the easiest way. Draw backs. It smells for awhile. On hot summer days it will flow slightly. You have to do it every year.

But you can use a air gun to spray it inside the channels. Saw a gun like that today. Cheap too.

You have to put it on warm too. They use this method on land rovers.

3. Jun 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Best method I've ever seen employed in the rust belt is just to buy a shitheap for $500 and make it your winter car until it doesn't pass inspection any more.

There really are no good solutions for keeping cars nice up there other than "move somewhere else".

4. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
  5. Jun 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    1. Wash it once per week.

2. Do NOT park in a heated garage after driving through salt. It accelerates the corrosion.

3. Use POR15 or Rustoleum primer and paint on your frame to keep the rust off. Repeat every year or two.

4. Having done 1-3, don't worry anymore.

6. Jun 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    What I have always done is take a saturday, put on some goggles, gloves and shit clothes...get a good wire brush and an orbital sander. sand everything you possible can, take off the bumpers, lift the bed off the fram etc.. try to get as close to bare metal as you can. Then get rustoleum primer spray paint and spray heavy heavy coats on everything you sanded (preferably the entire frame) let dry...then get some heavy lacquer black paint and spray it on heavily over the primer.

This lasts about 7 years. Trust me. Its a bit of work but lasts.

Products Discussed in

To Top