1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Combine Body Lift with Suspension Lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by RZRob, Mar 13, 2011.

1. RZRob

RZRob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Hey folks,

So I put a spacer on the front of my truck and the AAL (ProComp) on the back when I went to 285/70/17s. Well, my tires rub so bad and, my sliders periodically knock on my body, so I was considering adding a 2" body lift to get more clearance and wanted to get your thoughts.

I know body lifts are cheesy and I plan on upgrading to UCAs and Kings when I get my next gold brick, but I need to get the clearance.

I know most body lifts are cheap nylon, but I understand someone makes a better aluminum with one bigger diameter spacers. I assume you still leave the factory rubber spacers in place when adding a lift.

Is this acceptable? Does anyone have any examples, advice or horror stories?

RZ Rob

[​IMG]

2. TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and an Evenflow car seat in the back seat
    I have known people in the past to cut steel pipe to make thier own body lifts. I dont know why they make them out of nylon?

3. JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Salt Lake City, UT/Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off Road Access Cab, 6 speed
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" Rear leaf TSB
    All I can say is what I assume everyone else will say: Wait, spend the extra cash, and do it right the first time around.

I am waiting for the $ to do long travel, and do it right. I hate the unbalanced look of the stock Tacoma (front lower than rear), but I'm just going to wait until I can do it properly.

How much trimming have you done? You should be able to make 285/70's clear with some careful trimming... the tire isn't big enough to require a body mount chop.
    Also, where are you rubbing? Are you sure a body lift would even help that?

How do you like the Leer 180? I will be buying myself the contractor model 180 ASAP.

4. KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Shouldn't be rubbing that bad with that setup. What is the backspacing of your rims?

5. RZRob

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Rubs ridiculously bad if turning over a bump at 5 mph. Back spacing is 4.5". I'm thinking body lift will stay even after proper suspension lift. I've got serious clearance issues.

Rob

6. snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    crap bolted and welded together....
    thats strange your rubbing bad. Im running 285/75/16 and only rub if im at full lock going in reverse.

7. malander

malander That's some tight butthole

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Have you trimmed at all?

8. KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Have you chopped your cab mount?

9. RZRob

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    It's rubbing my flares. In fact the driver side got torn off. I was going to glass, but the forum seems to think that's not cool. I just want to know if there's anything wrong with going for a 2" lift?

RZ Rob

To Top