1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Comms gear for beginner

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacoTim85, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    will.i.was

will.i.was Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    I used a coat hanger to route it through the side plastics. Power is run up the a pillar to center, antenna is run from the rear of bed, to a grommet in the back of the cab and up the c pillar to center of roof. From there, I ran a coat hanger from the dome light and fished the antenna cable to the front of headliner.

I ensured to not impede the coax line by not doing any tight turns and such. Swr is ultra low, I have a 6' firestik NGP that gets me a good 5-7 miles in Houston traffic.

The ham however gets anywhere from 10-75 miles.

2. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

Are you running the BaoFeng T1s? I have 4 of them in my BOG that I bring with me when I go for longer drives.

3. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    heybronicetacoma

heybronicetacoma Meat Popsicle

Member:
    First Name:
    Claro
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 DCSB MT OR SSM
    Mods? Yes.
    In&out and 5nahalf[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Mar 25, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    Loco_Driver

Loco_Driver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connellsville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB M/T
    Loco Driving Mode
    Having a manual 3rd gen, and being a CB person, I went with the Midland handheld 78-522 like @will.i.was. This had better reviews than the Cobra off-road style CB. Space is tight in the cab, so it’s a good fit. I do have GMRS handhelds and would take a couple if I knew they might be needed. I would love to do ham, but haven’t had time yet to take the tests and dive in.

will.i.was likes this.
  5. Mar 25, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    will.i.was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    You'll enjoy the Midland for sure! Gmrs is plenty useful as well. I wrangled in a buddy of mine a week before I took my ham test. He took about 20 practice tests and actually scored higher than me by a question. I had studied for only an additional week before he started.

It is relatively easy questions and if you are adept at electrical work, it will be pretty darn easy. There are some good guides out there as well. I actually bought a few to assist my studies.

Loco_Driver[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    Loco_Driver

Loco_Driver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connellsville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB M/T
    Loco Driving Mode
    What was your method to clip the cb on the ceiling?

7. Mar 25, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    will.i.was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    I have two equipment ratcheting lines at the top of the radio and middle of the line. I drilled some holes and ran the lines through and anchored the fasteners inside the headliner and plastic upper console.

A magnet on the base of the radio and inside the headliner keep it in place.

When I use it, I can let go and the equipment lines pull it close to the headliner and I pop it back in place. It's convenient and allows me to disconnect the Midland 75-822 and transition to a handheld cb in seconds.

The ham however is hardwired and a bit more permanently mounted lol

Loco_Driver[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 25, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Thats clever

will.i.was[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 25, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    772Taco

772Taco I don't have enough money for this forum.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD OR 6MT - Quicksand
    The group of people I wheel with decided that GMRS was the way to go for us. Applied and paid for the FCC License today and ordered a MTX275 MicroMobile direct from Midland. I'm curious when it will show up with Covid-19 messing with shipping. I know Amazon said April 23rd was the quickest delivery... we'll see.

will.i.was likes this.
  10. Mar 25, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    will.i.was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    Amazon has only been a few days slower. Prime deliveries typically take 2 days but I've noticed it's been a solid 4 days. So it reflects the typical shipping time from any reputable online retailer

11. Mar 25, 2020 at 11:11 AM
    Taco_Craig

Taco_Craig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma, DCSB TRD-OR
    RCI Sliders/Plates, Icon [Stage 3] Suspension
    I've had my cheapie handheld Baofeng (and a magnetic antenna) since I got my technician's license. The couple of guys I normally hang with are both ham, so that works fine. I also have a cheapie handheld CB (with matching magnetic antenna) that I throw on when ham isn't an option.

Normal usage for me and my buddies is that we're not 5 miles apart at most times, so both CB and ham are pretty effective. Mot of the time we can see each other and just want to warn someone about a road hazard or shoot the shit.

I've spent maybe $100 total between the two radios, and I don't feel bad about not having nicer ones. Don't get me wrong, I'll have a nicer ham setup someday, but right now I'm blowing my money on other toys.

will.i.was likes this.
  12. Mar 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    772Taco

772Taco I don't have enough money for this forum.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD OR 6MT - Quicksand
    I'll update when it shows up.

will.i.was[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 25, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    Rockefelluh

Rockefelluh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRDOR 4x4
    The Baofang and HAM very popular in SoCal.

will.i.was likes this.
  14. Mar 25, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    will.i.was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    Yeah it's uses are dependent on location and your crew. Wheeling wise we were never far apart and cb is more common. Only a small percentage roll with ham.

Ive had to use my han for emergency situations down here in Houston pretty often. Flooding and inclement weather is common. My friends and I have a habit of hopping on ham if critical infrastructure is compromised (which has happened far too often recently) and are actually registered with a few county ARES (amateur radio emergency services) groups.

Ham does have its place but frs/gmrs will suit 99% of uses out there. Both can be equally expensive haha

15. Mar 25, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    Atl-atl

Atl-atl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Ill throw my two cents in. Ive been wheeling since the mid 90s and have always used CB. Whether it was a Jeep club, random groups of people or Toyotas, everyone that has been wheeling more than 3 times seems to have CB. Last year a few of my friends went the Bao Feng UV-5R route so I snagged one of them but we only use it as a two-way radio.

will.i.was likes this.
  16. Mar 26, 2020 at 6:24 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    What up with the MX115, 15watt?

17. Mar 26, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    I run a ham radio. It's easy to get the license, you'll have a lot more ability with a ham radio.

18. Mar 26, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    I've been toying with getting my license for years now...I have time on my hands these days lol.
    However, for my use, a CB is likely the better fit for me. Long term, both in the rig is the best option.

will.i.was likes this.
  19. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    Ch78

Ch78 GBO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' Taco Supreme
    Tuned By D3 Performance
    02E39939-F0AB-428B-A11B-B2857EA7398D.jpg

will.i.was likes this.
  20. Mar 27, 2020 at 3:28 PM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    ??

To Top