1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Entune - Factory Integration

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dolbytone, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Jan 24, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    BlueDevilPharmD

BlueDevilPharmD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    So you seem to know a ton about audio so trust your judgement based on what I have read. I contacted a few shops locally to me and sent them this build list to see what they would quote me.

Kenwood DMX1057XR
    JL C1-690 for the front doors and tweeters.
    JL C1- 650x for the rear doors.
    JL JD400.1
    JL CP108LG-W3v3
    JL JD500.1

A shop owner messaged me back and said he has a 2017 as well and he would suggest not going with the C1's because they did not sound good in his Tacoma and that he had gone with Audison. He suggested going with this build instead.

Kenwood DMX1057XR
    APK690 for the front doors and tweeters.
    APX6.5 for the rear doors.
    JL CP108LG-W3v3
    JL XD700.5

Cost is not really that far off from my budget and only like $300 more than when I priced out the JL build. Do you feel that it is worth the increased cost? Would it sound much better?

2. Jan 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Oh yeah, JL C1 speakers are no match for those Audison components. Hands down do that. I was going to frown at the C1’s before I even saw you were looking at Primas.

I think you are a tiny bit under powered, and I have no personal experience with JL XD amplifiers, but this looks like a nice moderate system. I really like the Kenwood eXcelon Reference stuff.

3. Jan 24, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    BlueDevilPharmD

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Ok cool. I will lock that in then. What would you suggest as an amp for that setup if you feel the 700 might lack the power needed?

4. Jan 24, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Adding more power would complicate things because then you are looking for a different subwoofer. As it is I think it will have good balance between your speakers and subwoofer. It also gets a lot more expensive really fast so cost/benefit gets hard to justify.

This has the potential to be a nice clean moderately loud system.

5. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:57 PM
    BlueDevilPharmD

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the advice. It is all getting installed on Thursday. The only change I made was to upgrade the Amp to the JL VX700/5i. I am hoping the extra $400 will pay off for the hours and hours I spend listening to music in the truck.

CLVol1255 likes this.
  6. Jan 27, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Yeah I think so. The built in DSP will provide a lot more tuning power. The stand alone JL DSP costs about $400, so if that’s all it’s costing you extra, you get a nicer amplifier plus the DSP.

Ive been wanting to find an excuse to install some of those VXi amps.

CLVol1255 likes this.
  7. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    TacoWdrd

TacoWdrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD OR
    Welp... looks like I'm talking the wife into getting a 4Runner :boink:. Damn good build :thumbsup:

8. Mar 18, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    So I forget when it was that I ordered this, months ago, seriously months and months ago... (fuh-evah). But, it has arrived and phase 3 begins soon.

74514104-F9D9-45EA-B90B-44838ED8F524.jpg

CLVol1255 and TacoWdrd like this.
  9. Mar 18, 2021 at 6:54 PM
    CLVol1255

CLVol1255 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 8112/8100 ICON RXT Stage 2 JBA UCAs Archive Garage HH w Shackles Archive Garage U Bolt Flip kit Nitto Ridge Grapplers 255/80/R17 TRD Front Skid and RCI Transmission Skid Kenwood DMX 1057XR Head Unit Focal Utopia WM 3 way plus WM10 Sub Mosconi 5/30 and Genesis Dual Mono Amp
    Great decision going with the VXi700/5. You’ll be happy you did

10. Mar 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Alright, amp is installed. I’m annoyed by how long that took but I didn’t really have a plan until I figured out under the rear driver’s side seat is the only place it would go. I mostly had the wires all run so that saved a lot of effort.

I might do a tune up tomorrow and put up some results. I did a dirty level set yesterday when I hooked it up and it turns out I was only 2V lower than where I ended up setting it up today per JL’s recommends. Not bad I guess.

6437524E-3C95-462A-9EA6-B18047DB31B6.jpg

not_nick and CLVol1255 like this.
  11. Mar 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    CLVol1255

CLVol1255 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 8112/8100 ICON RXT Stage 2 JBA UCAs Archive Garage HH w Shackles Archive Garage U Bolt Flip kit Nitto Ridge Grapplers 255/80/R17 TRD Front Skid and RCI Transmission Skid Kenwood DMX 1057XR Head Unit Focal Utopia WM 3 way plus WM10 Sub Mosconi 5/30 and Genesis Dual Mono Amp
    Do it bump doe? Loved my JL HD & still kinda disappointed in myself for selling it earlier this week but it was only sitting. At least another Tacoma owner will be using it. Great little amps about the size of a sheet of notebook paper with clean power and great efficiency

12. Mar 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Yeah the bass is pretty strong. It's going to get dialed back a smidge when I do the tune I'm sure.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    CLVol1255 likes this.
  13. Mar 26, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I thought I had taken a picture of this installation but I can't find the stupid thing on my FONE so /shrug, maybe another time I'll have the front passenger seat out and I can take a picture then. I was pretty sure I took one while all the wires weren't crammed in there so it would look promising in terms of neatness and I planned to show it here so you all could be like damn that's gonna be NOYCE, and I could feel all kinds of glory and stuff. No glory.

So, suffice it to say the 4Runner is using not one but TWO DSPs because that Audison BIT kept nagging at my brain with it's stupid input stage de-EQ opacity and I just NEEDED to see what the factory radio's output signal looks like, but also the parametric EQ is maddening to use (just let me type in my damn numbers shit! I hate rolling my finger on the mouse pad to try to get to a specific spot and constantly yo-yo past where I want to be, then give up because it's not going to happen), so I added a damn Audio Control between the stereo and the AP8.9BIT. Thinking behind this is, at some point you have spent so much money already so % wise what's another fucking $600...

Anyway... getting them both to fit was tricky, the DM-608 has a larger footprint than the Audison 8 channel amp (?? wut ??) it's true, and having them mounted on a piece of plastic, and then getting that piece of plastic under the seat without worrying about any moving seat interference wasn't going to happen. I had to raise it off the floor so it doesn't interfere with the air vent that's there and I puzzled on it for probably two decades, AKA about 3 hours before realizing I only had to raise something directly above the vent, and the other device could sit on the floor, because there's more width available (between the seat struts was at least 2" less) and I ended up making a shelf for the DSP above the vent, and the amp sits basically under the seat rail on the door side. It all worked out great, wish I had that picture...

So here's the result of poking around for a little bit, I took screens of the Input stage of the DM-608 so you could see what you are sending to your amplifier from the factory radio. It's very sad but good to know.

Front L/R Factory Stereo output spectrum response.

4Runner_Entune-3.0_Front-Signal.jpg

Rear L/R Factory Stereo output spectrum response.

4Runner_Entune-3.0_Rear-Signal.jpg

Initial thoughts on the Audio Control DSP primarily concern my utter surprise that the EQ is not independent channels, but L/R channel pairs unless I haven't figured something out yet. I mean for the money you should at least get all of the features of the JL which is $200 less as well as the input analyzer but so far as I can tell, nope. It also has its own GUI quirks that are annoying, but that's mostly about how it displays on your computer screen, forcing you to scroll up and down to see the entire page. The channel mapping isn't very intuitive, mostly because the labeling is confusing on the input/output pairing function. I do like the EQ, but I wish you could toggle between graphic and parametric depending on your preference.

I don't have an actual tune in yet but for now it's all up and running and sounds fine. I'm looking forward to screwing with the ACCUBASS. I moved the sub amp signal from the Audison to the DM-608, and already there's a noticeable difference in terms of low volume presence.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    not_nick likes this.
  14. Apr 19, 2021 at 2:32 AM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Yup, I didn't figure it out initially. I just watched an episode of Kick Back with Dean and Fernando earlier this week and someone in their chat asked what DSP is kind of the easiest to use and they hands down said they thought the Audio Control was the most user friendly, specifically mentioning the JL software as being a little confusing, especially at the input stage but I wholly disagree with them on that, the JL is thoughtfully laid out and I didn't find it confusing at all, and the Audio Control just isn't IMO. It's all there but I feel like you have to find all of the controls and figure out what exactly the buttons do, where this isn't the case with the TwK, stuff is just obvious and well laid out in the JL software.

That said, once you figure it all out, I suppose it's not hard, and the Audio Control has some useful features that the TwK does not. Overall, of the DSPs I own and have been screwing with, my preference in order is such:

Audio Control > JL TwK > ------------------------------------------------------------> (very last) >> Audison BIT

The only reason the JL TwK is not first is due to the signal RTA feature that Audio Control has. It's extremely useful to see the signal you are working with before it goes out to other components, especially when you are using a factory head unit. About the only positive thing I have to say about the Audison BIT is that it obviously has been built with quality components and it is wonderfully clean and transparent.

It was tough to get the wiring clean, having all this shit under one seat and arranging them for connectivity was a challenge. I finally was able to make it reasonable but if I have to screw with any of the connections when tuning, like to grab the signal so I can check it on an oscilloscope, I have to take the seat out or it all ends up untucked and I risk ripping something out of a connector. It's really important to nail your signals down before putting your truck all the way back together if you do something like this.

B675E87C-33EF-47B4-A6AC-18C9495B2EE0.jpg

03916F9C-B8C3-43CD-8F95-07829B64B2A5.jpg

Side note, I found this kick ass RC car body on Amazon for my Rustler VXL and frankly it's pretty much tits AF now.

D7E37136-2EBA-45F3-85BB-08D5F3A0001B.jpg

Because I couldn't stand only having two RTAs, I decided earlier this month that it was time to add another one so I picked up the Audio Control DM-RTA and I'll be going over that pretty soon. I grabbed the kit because I just really like having cases for everything and theirs is a nice case, the foam is really good, and everything you need is included. They even included one of those bluetooth modules so I can screw with the DSP on my phone and have the DM-RTA displayed on PC instead of toggling between windows (which is what I actually did because the phone app is just really small to look at, so probably use a tablet instead).

877A665D-A5F8-4827-BDB9-C884F708E9AF.jpg

014E8C34-86D1-4F89-A1A3-F9C56E42852B.jpg

I've used it once so far and for the price I think it's kind of a must have because of all the functionality you get for the price. Besides the RTA function you get polarity checking, volt meter, oscilloscope, and a full set of test signals built right in. It's really a complete car audio analyzer, but also could be used for setting up any sound system.

I'll probably kind of compare it to my other analyzers, I haven't set them up side by side yet, and I don't know how accurate it is really. I will likely connect one of my calibrated microphones to it because the one I got with the kit is not. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the SMAART 8 kit that I normally use, which is a multiplexer that measures transfer function, but it would be fair to compare it directly to the Ivie IE-45 that I also use.

Probably next weekend I'll get around to that since the wife doesn't have my entire next weekend planned out (yet).

This week I finally get to tune a room with line arrays. Looking forward to that too. Maybe I'll put some of that up as well.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    not_nick and GRNT4R like this.
  15. Jul 9, 2022 at 6:40 AM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    So now this system is pretty finished. I remade the plastic mount for everything under the front passenger seat. My original one was not adequate after all of the changes. I mounted the DSPs all there and moved the amplifiers to the rear.

Final piece ended up being the Epicenter Micro. GET AN EPICENTER!

9B73B16A-2291-49B5-B7FD-E88BB97E8D68.jpg

It’s been hot, I’ve been sick. It’s been pretty hard to get the motivation to bust out the rig and EQ this system so right now I’m running with levels and crossovers and no EQ. It’s been weeks and I’m thinking this is actually really good already.

Bottome line, here’s the stuff installed. This is a fairly powerful setup. The sound quality is excellent. The subwoofer just really kills.

Speakers

Audison AV 1.1 - Front Dash
    Audison AP 690 - Front Doors
    Audison APX 6.5 - Rear Doors
    Audison APX 6.5 - Rear Hatch
    Sundown SD4 10 D4 - Custom box, Cargo

Amplifiers

Audio Control ACM 2.300 - Tweeters
    Audison 8.9 BIT (bridged x4) - Door and Hatch
    JL HD1200/1 - Subwoofer

Processing

JL FiX 82
    JL TwK 88
    Audio Control Epicenter Micro

TOSLINK digital optical out of the FiX into the TwK. Analog 2 channel out of the FiX into the Epicenter. Epicenter output into TwK. TwK 8 channels out to the three amplifiers.

I didn’t know until I tried it, but you can concurrently use the digital output and two channel analog output of the JL FiX, which was really nice because that gave me the full range signal for the Epicenter loop while keeping everything else in the digital path. Just as convenient, the TwK enables you to use two analog inputs on channels 7/8 concurrently with the L/R digital optical input so I was able to still loop sub through the DSP. I thought I was going to have to run subwoofer around the TwK directly to the sub amp and use the crossover there, but nope, full DSP functionality on all channels. Two thumbs up to JL.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    not_nick and pochoboy like this.
To Top