1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

complimentary dealership washes suck!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by tuckdaddy, Jun 5, 2012.

?

do dealership carwashes leave your truck dirtier than when you dropped it off?

1. YES....

45.9%
  2. NO!!

31.4%
  3. CARWASH what is this?!?!?!

22.7%
  1. OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Talked with a guy waiting at the dealership the other day... seems they washed his truck but forgot to close the sun roof. Let's just say he wasn't a happy camper. :eek:

2. KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    ^Makes you wonder why they opened the sunroof to begin with... unless it was in for sunroof-related problems.

3. Justus

Justus resident Apple Pie Monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    After about a year of having the urd intake and not being able to go through a touch free wash, and always having to tell the dealership not to wash the truck whenever I would go in for tsb/recall/flushes, im happy to let them wash it.

The urd sounded great, but damnit u had to babysit the thing.

4. shredgar1

shredgar1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edgar
    Hacienda Heights, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 AC
    XD Addict 18", Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S 265/65/18, afe pro dry, spidertrax 1.25"
    letting the dealership wash your truck is as bad as letting the dealership wash your truck.

:D

5. adio

adio Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Member:
    EWA BEACH, HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO INFERNO
    this is why I always tell the service rep to not wash my truck after servicing the truck. and no damn service reminder sticker on the windshield

6. cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    As a detailer at a auto body shop it kinda bums me out we have such a bad reputation haha. We do a complimentary detail with a vacuum/interior clean and the outside after the car is painted and re-assembled.

Personally I treat every car I work on like it's my own but we have had so many dip shits work in detail at my shop I cringe when I check over cars they "cleaned". Detailing is just a summer job and part time while I go to university but lot's of the guy's I work with want to go into auto body and they work so half assed I have no idea how they hope to get an apprenticeship. I mean if you can't be trusted to properly clean a car how could you be trusted to actually repair the thing.

One that got fired today was because he used an old brush (instead of a mitt) on a brand new black Tacoma that the owner wanted a very very small scratch fixed on the hood. When he washed the truck it was raining and cloudy so the damage the brush did was hidden but the sun came out and it was obvious that the truck needed to be polished from bumper to bumper. The best part is that the owner was there but left and gave the other guy a $20 tip for cleaning his truck right before he ruined the paint..... I ended up doing all the polishing to fix his mistake while he got fired. Thankfully I had time to make sure all the scratches were gone and all the polish taken off the truck before the customer returned.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, BFG All Terrain KO Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, custom made bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod,Rigid Knockoff LED Floodlights, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    This is why I dont wash my truck before taking it in!

8. SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Harbor Freight 110v welder garage fab parts.

better yet go to one of the hooters car washes....

9. DavisBladeWorks

DavisBladeWorks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    When I picked up my new truck 2 days ago the dealership literally told me that I HAD to get the complimentary "detail." I kindly explained to them that I would rather not have them install custom swirl marks into my paint, and they yet again said I had no choice.

At that point I told them to kindly fuck off, because I've signed the paperwork and I'm in possession of the keys. I didn't even let them put fuel in it for fear that they'd take it around back.

I can't fucking stand that. Why on earth would you tell a customer that it's mandatory??

10. flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    the complimentary wash didn't leave my truck dirtier
    but, it did leave my passenger window all scratched up

11. A7xschecter6661

A7xschecter6661 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Spruce Mica
    The dealer I bought my tacoma from said they will wash it any time I drive by, I am too picky so it will never happen.

Now go back to the Ford dealer my mom worked at. The car wash guy there would pull it in and act like he was detailing the damn thing. Oil change customers basically got a detailed car lol. And if they sold a car, it was because he washed it :D

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Nautical Blue v6 SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    Took the wife's Rav4 in the other day for 60,000 service to Autonation Toyota Arapahoe. I saw a guy parking wet cars out in the sun, and, surprise, her car had spots all over it. Dirtier looking than when we dropped it off.

No more washes for my Tacoma (had 1 service and wash, truck looked pretty good, was dried, with few or no swirls).

13. richardbui23

richardbui23 Running For Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PreRunner Zombie Unit Mall Crawler
    Wheels and tires,Bilstein 5100's OME 884's 3 inch lift
    each dealer is different i went to toyota of dallas (trdparts4u) and they did the spiral cable recall then detailed my truck inside and out with tire shine and shampooed my seats all for free :D

14. TJGARZA84

TJGARZA84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    SAN ANTONIO
    Vehicle:
    2012 TOYOTA TACOMA PRERUNNER SR5 - BLACK
    TINT - 20% FRONT - 5% REAR 3 INCH LIFT PAINT TO MATCH GRILL AND REAR BUMPER REMOVED ALL EMBLEMS
    I wish I had pics to share - but I took my truck to get washed at the dealership and it came back with a broken drivers side mirror.

I asked what happened and they get repeating "that has never happened before,but its ok since we ordered another one"

They ended up fixing it a week later and gave me a few complimentary oil changes and washed and waxed the truck for me - it worked out in my favor but they dont really care until they really fuck up.

15. GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 wheel drive
    I always tell them no thanks. Unlike me, the dealership has never spent time on this detailing forum.

16. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Subfloor, water pump, marine battery, 45 gal water tank & plumbing to wash cars anywhere
    I do a lot of new car prep and you wouldn't believe the condition I find 'new' cars after being maintained by the dealership guys.

Just say NO to dealership washes (or wax jobs for that matter - unless you like wax all over your trim and in the emblems)

17. BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    the best way I've found to avoid dealership complimentary washes is to print a sign up that says "PLEASE DO NOT WASH" in big bold letters and tape it to the steering wheel or dashboard. that way if the service writer forgets to tell the tech not to wash it you are still covered.

18. T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Sounds like a great idea but I bet it isn't foolproof at a dealership, lol..................

19. BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    sadly it probably isnt...but i no for sure simply telling a dealer "don't wash my vehicle" doesn't work...i should just show up with a quote from a body shop to repair all the scratches the POS automatic bay has put on my jeep (dont have the taco yet), and watch them shit a brick.

20. Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    These guys "washed" my clean truck for me that was spotless when I took it in. I got it back with water all over it and starting to spot.

Another day their shuttle van drove me back past the area where they washes are done. I saw a guy use a wash mitt on the rear wheel, across the lower part of a truck, across the steps and then on the front wheel.

And then there is the complimentary windshield repair guys that crawl all over the truck, putting hand and fingerprints all over the inside and outside of the windshield. :mad:

Needless to say I make sure they are clear the are not to wash my truck if I have to take it in.

To Top