1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Component Speaker Installs

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Pat, May 31, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    WOO HOOO !!!!!! Great job Pat... Now you believe it's fairly easy right ?
    I'm impressed you didn't give up and go to BBuy !

On your other question.... lots of threads you can search about what people have for equipment, and I have found it to be a controversial topic and I don't feel like battling people today..

However, I have the components you speak of, I like them a lot. for the rear I have a 'Decent' pair of polk 6.5" ( db651s or something ) I roll alpine pdx5 amplifier, and image dynamics idqv3 10" 2 ohm subwoofer.

If you didn't enjoy installing the head unit, then an amp may not be your thing however I still think you can do it :) ....( my opinion but it's not my truck)

2. Jun 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    Pat

Pat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    I think Im just going to get a 4 channel amp from Alpine. I doubt Ill be getting a sub now anytime soon because the price keeps going up and up and up. I just briefly looked around and it seems like you can get the 150 watt amp for about $400 which is still pretty steep but I guess its what I gotta do.

3. Jun 9, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Audio is a slippery slope - as soon as you do one thing, you will find that you need something else!

Before buying the amp, make sure you have the speakers in hand since ********* is going to most likely give you headaches. Also consider the cost of wiring, which can be more spendy that you might imagine.

50 watts? Depends on the price and whether your speakers can utilize it. I have a 75wx4 amp that will also do 110wx4, but due to the way the speakers are built I can only utilize the 75W.

Alpine PDX are nice due to space saving, but that comes at a premium price. Similar offerings can be found from JL and Memphis, plus most all Pioneer options. Regardless, consider the location where the amp will mount and plan accordingly.

I'd recommend the amp

4. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Whether you need an amp or not totally depends on your listening habits. If you just casually listen to the system going down the road, no you won't need an amp. If you like to crank it up a bit and do so often, then I'd recommend an amp.

Ditch the sales dude...$650 for an amp:rolleyes: Not for what you got. Run away....run away. You can do WAY better

5. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    very well said by GoBlueFan

6. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Yo GoBlue... the PDX4.150 goes for $700 on Crutchfield. Granted, Crutchfield is always high price, but the dealer isn't totally out of his gourd.

Like I said, the PDX go for premium prices.

7. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    Pat

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    Im checking out some car audio specific forums to buy a used one. Is that a good idea, to buy a used amp? I think I might be able to get one that is used for around $350 shipped.

8. Jun 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Provided you can trust the source, it wouldn't be a terrible idea. There's risks in buying anything online - I got burned on a paintball gun that was in need of $80 of adjustment, but I've also done well with other purchases.

Note that again, you must consider mounting and the idea that wiring might add another $100 some to the cost.

9. Jun 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

you'd be nuts to pay 700 bucks for the PDX. It isn't THAT good.

10. Jun 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

I would only buy a used amp if I knew it's history personally. Used electronics is just too risky IMO.

11. Jun 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm not saying I'd buy it either -just that his dealer is charging the normal exorbitant rate. I can easily find it for near half that.

12. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

exactly...run away, run away

13. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Pat

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    Im PM'ing a guy right now to get the amp for $300 shipped!!! :D

Its the PDX 4 channel 150 watt. He used it on his boat though before but it was inside a box where he kept all the rest of the audio equipment. He showed me some pictures from a while back showing where it was and it was definitely safe from water.

14. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Check out my install thread. I am running the same exact speakers and a PDX5 amp. This amp will all you need if you ever get a subwoofer. These speakers will def sound better and get louder with an amp. I would go for it! I got my PDX5 brand new on ebay for $365 shipped.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/39649-my-audio-install-w-pics.html

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    Pat

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    $365 on ebay? Damn I need to check that out.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out. Its only got half has much power as the other amp though and I don't think Ill be getting a sub soon. Hmmm...

16. Jun 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Got it from Discount Sounds out of Florida. Here's a link to their ebay store: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/DISCOUNT-SOUND-INC__W0QQ_armrsZ1 There isn't a PDX amp listed but I would message him. Real good guy to deal with + 100% positive feedback.

The PDX5 amp is rated at 75Wx4 and 350Wx1. But my birthsheet for mine was rated at 104Wx4 and 409Wx1.

17. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    Pat

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    I've just decided to go with the 4 channel amp. A guy on eBay with 100% positive feedback is selling one for $325, brand spankin new.

18. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Rock on! Yer getting there. You'll be jammin soon.

19. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Nice! That's a good price!

20. Jun 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    Nice deal... you're probably buying from the same guy I bought from. I bought my Alpine PDX4.100 and 1.600 from the same guy for $325 each... brand new. I also got a SquareTrade warranty for them each, good for 3 years in case something goes wrong with them. I just installed them yesterday. I should have pics up this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top