1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Component Speakers Wiring

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomapack, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 4:10 AM
    tacomapack

tacomapack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Franklinton, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 PreRunner
    Coming Soon
    I'm getting ready to install component speakers in my front doors and need a little help with the wiring. I will probably add an amp down the road but it's not in the cards right now. Looking at the stock wiring I am confused as to which wires to connect to the new crossover. I see a blue and a green wire going to the lower speaker and also that the stock tweeter has a crossover of some sort wired right onto it, but can't tell exactly which two wires are coming from the headunit. I did a search on here but didn't really find a clear answer. Hopefully someone has used components and kept the stock harness...

Happy Veterans Day!

2. Nov 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    I feel for ya man, I have the same problem. Dude before me butchered everything and I cant get any sound off my new deck. Lights up real nice. The aftermarket harness that I bought from Bestbuy is what I used , but somewhere theres a problem. The wires on both sides of the doors are blue and green. The stock diagram says something about pink and violet. Nowhere to be found. O

3. Nov 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    when i did mine i ran new wires from the back of the HU to the crossover. I didnt feel like messing with the tiny stock wires

4. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The tweeters just tap off the main speaker wire after the white plug and run in parallel with the main speaker. Here's a simple wiring diagram. The arrow points to the disconnect at the door. The wires are blue/green on one side and red/black on the other.
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    I ran new wires for my components, it sucks but it's the best thing to do.

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    tacomapack

tacomapack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Franklinton, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 PreRunner
    Coming Soon
    Great diagram Evilmonkey! Thanks! Where the two sets of wires come in and go out of the white plug, it's hard to tell which is which the way they have them twisted and taped together. They basically are wrapped around each other and weave in and out over a long run. I found a "lightly" used JL Audio amp on ebay that I'm going to run. It's funny how a simple coax speaker upgrade for the front doors has turned into a new head unit, already moving those coax's to the rear doors, new components for the front, and a 4 channel amp. I won't add a sub... I won't add a sub... damnit! :rockband:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    thanks fellas, thats exactly what I'll do re-wire from HU. One question do I just run a set of wires +\- to both crossovers in the doors from the HU and then from each crossover wire the two component speakers? I think I just realized I answered my own question. Damn 12 hour shifts. The stock wires are pretty skimpy looking.

8. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    That's what I did. Plenty of room in the door for the crossovers I used and it means less wires through the door tunnel.

9. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    The Mega

The Mega Get Routy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 4X4 Speedway Blue
    Custom Retrofit Headlights, TRD CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, Demello Offroad Sliders, Icon Coilovers w/ reservoirs, Allpro Rear Leaf Pack w/Fox reservoirs, Ubolt Flip Kit, Bed Mounted Spare, Total Chaos UCA, Steal Brake Lines All Around, Viper Remote Start, Custom Emblem Work, Black Tail Lights, and Flashlight Mod, Devil Emblem, Color Matched Interior, Demello Front Bumper, Onboard Air, Courtesy LED Lights (Interior and Exterior), Secondary Fuse Block, Hood Struts, Engine Bay Lights
    so do you tap in to the wires from the woofer or from the tweeter? And if I decide to run speaker wire from the HU do I run it with the factory harness? Thanks

10. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    You can use the woofer wires, but the tweeter will still be in the circuit unless you remove the wires to the tweeter. You can also cut out the white plug and splice the like-colored wires together and it will cut the tweeter and the plug out of the circuit. No need to run new wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top