1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compound on hood paint ?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by phoneguy44, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jul 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    phoneguy44

phoneguy44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Oxford, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Double Cab
    This is my daughters maxima. See that on the paint, how can I get that to return to black paint. It's not visible when the car is wet, only after its dry. It's on both sides of the hood even though its only showing there on one side. You have to get the light right to see it but its very visible. Thought about using some compound but not familiar with it and dont want to make it worse. What do you think ? :confused:

6a7b7fc0_25843fe3a92132a5a0ee22cc4c8ec3ddfcd82bc1.jpg

c33dafc3_2295e09a5eeca665de40bb3770ceec46e503078b.jpg

2. Jul 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    That oxidation should come out. A machine buff first with compound then another with a finish polish.

Search the forum section of http://autopia.org/ Tons of great info and tips.

If you're thinking of compounding by hand... don't bother, your arm will fall off and the results probably won't be satisfactory.

That paint is in tough shape and it may even be better to start with a light wet sand, then compound and polish.

Also if you don't have a machine polisher, consider getting one. It's very rewarding to see the transformation that occurs from dull, beaten up paint to deep, wet, glossy paint. A random orbital polisher is easy to use and not very expensive

Practice on hers and perfect it on yours :rolleyes:

And if you don't want to do it youself, any competent detailer should be able to to polish that car for about +/- $200- 250 depending on your area.

But for less than that money, you can buy the polisher, polishing pads, compound, finish polish and keep all your vehicles paint looking great.

good luck

3. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    phoneguy44

phoneguy44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Oxford, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Double Cab
    Thanks man.
    I have been investigating a polisher for a while now. Think I'm going to get the one by porter cable (7424). It's around $125.

Preciate the help !

4. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    auburn taco

auburn taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Athens GA area
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tacoma
    Homelink Mirror, mud flaps and interior LEDs. so far
    If you are getting a porter cable, you will need pads and compounds to buff that thing. IMO you will not have good results as it looks like you are through the clear coat and exposing the paint. If the clear is gone no buffing in the world will give you shine as the base coat paints are not shiny. I am assuming your ride has a base coat clear coat system. If not then you have a chance.

Products Discussed in

To Top