1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compression Adjusters... Worth It?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tacomanator, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Aug 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I'm currently in the market for a set of King coilovers. Wondering if the extra $300 for the compression adjusters are worth it. Say I have them cranked for 3" of lift and set the compression all the way soft, is the ride really going to be any softer? I know preloading the spring makes the ride more stiff. So, how exactly does this work?

[​IMG]

2. Aug 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
  3. Aug 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    For daily driving I doubt you would feel much difference, the shock is just not cycling enough. I see it as fine tuning your compression offroad....whoops, jumps etc. so you don't bottom out at speed. You could prob re-valve them until you're happy for a lot less.

Just my .02 as I've never played with compression adjusters.

4. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    Thanks for your input.

5. Aug 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Shit, I could be wrong.......I hear the rear fox's that have them are sweet. Hey you'll be the first if you do get them!

6. Aug 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    ^ No one on here is running these? Makes me want them even more! haha

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I have them, but I have not been able to put them to the test yet... too hot in the desert for me :p. are you going oem length or longer?
    if going oem, I recommend checking out this thread first. might save you some money, and/or still make it worth your while to get those adjusters

8. Aug 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    Thanks for the link.

I would like to get extended length, but I don't see that as an option for the compression adjustable Kings.

Also, does DSM charge extra for changing springs? I'd like to go with a 650 spring rate.

9. Aug 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm not sure about the shocks you're looking at specifically but having the ability to adjust the compression dampening is awesome on motorcycles. I don't know what kind of range of adjustability they give you on a truck but on a bike it helps control how much the suspension dives in a corner, how fast the suspension can cycle when on rougher roads or rougher tracks. It basically controls how quickly the suspension can uptravel when you hit a bump. If you have no need to adjust this, meaning you don't need to change your suspension characteristics often or drastically, there's no need to pay the extra money for it

10. Aug 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but the adjusters are for fine tuning, but definitely not a replacement for shock valving to your needs.

I participated in the group buy months ago, and dont recall dsm charging me for opting for 650# coils. they normally come with 600# coils, iirc. my fronts are extended length, I think because of the adjusters.

if I were you, I would definitely go the route of that thread, and get 6" kings up front, as you will gain slightly more travel. I think the ext length oem fronts come with a taller eyelet, but doesnt affect oem travel.

mo travel = mo better

fwiw, I like my 650# coils. Im all stock up front(no winch, plate bumper), and not running a sway bar either. I've got the passenger side collar all back out to combat the taco lean.

Products Discussed in

To Top