1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Computer reset?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Aalders, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    Aalders

Aalders [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    Anyone know if you disconnect the battery if the computer will reset the CEL?

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Go to your local Advance Auto parts, the can get the codes and clear them for free!

3. Jun 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes it will. It may come back on though depending on the code.

X2 on getting it read. Post it up when you get it.

4. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Autozone will most likely NOT clear the code for free...Unless you know the guy. They don't want to be responsible for clearing a code that causes another malfunction down the road.

They can tell you what it is...but you need your own reader or some other a repair shop to clear it out....and you'll still need to fix whatever threw the light to begin with...

5. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Both my local Autozone and Advance Auto will let you use the scan reader for free, if you leave your drivers license with them. Advance Auto guys will even walk out with you and help for free (not sure about Autozone guys never asked).

That way you can both pull the code and clear it too.

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've never had them let me take the reader...They come out and do it...And they won't clear it- but yeah...If you take it...I'm sure you can do whatever you want!!

7. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Can't you still short a pin and the CEL will flash the code?

8. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    You know I think we all missed that it's an 09 and is still under warranty. OP, just take it to the dealer.

9. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Also a good call!! Rep for you...

10. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

11. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    I work for Advance Auto and we do let ppl we know take the scanner outside to their car/truck if they know how to use it. We do explain the code and then if the customer wants us to clear the codes we will but if its a ongoing issue the CEL will turn on. Dont forget if you dont put you gas cap on tight alot of cars the CEL turns on, if you happen to have a one time missfire the CEL is on till its cleared. Some times you need to clear it to find out if it was a onetime thing or not. All part of finding out what is going on under the hood.

If the CEL comes back on after you have had it cleared it could be somehting else or it could be the same issue.

IMHO find out what the code is what it could be.

Oh ya I own my own comes in handy when your woking on your truck. Like I am trying to find a way to make a switch to turn on the backup cam on my 09 while either in park or drive... Did you know if you just put 12V to the back up cam it will turn it on, but also trips the CEL and traction control lights. It does this because it see the truck in park and reverse at the same time and goes into a panic. I get the codes on my reader. I clear it and all is better.

12. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    You Autozone Guys are always helpful, and usually in a good mood about it. I know I pay more at Autozone for most stuff as compared to some other places a little further away but don't mind because of the good customer service.

13. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:

*PSSSTT..............he works at Advanced.............not Autozone..........

14. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    ah crap yup that's what i meant..i'm watching cheers and ripping cd's while posting. almost as bad as drunk posting!

sorry!

15. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    I work for Advance Auto Parts... NOT Autozone LOL

but its ok. Same idea, just we dont have an Autozone in Northern VT

16. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    sorry see above!

17. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    I'm a big fan of Advanced. They just started opening up a ton around my area.

I'd take it to Advanced first, to get an honest answer of what the code could be. If you take it to the dealer and don't know what it is, you could get swindled. Don't let them clear it. Just get the code.

18. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    How would he get swindled when it is under warranty?

19. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    I've seen it happen on a few occasions where they will check the CEL, tell the customer that something else is wrong that is not covered under warranty and charge them for it, at the same time doing the actual warranty work.

Best bet is to get your facts straight before walking into a stealership. Of course, if you know someone there, or trust them, good luck.

20. Jun 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    Aalders

Aalders [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    So right after work i went to see Transformers and after that i was to tired to get back on here and tell you guys how it went, so here i am. worked awesome! just like new again in about 1.5 hours. the only thing i didnt like is that after the computer is reset the trip A and trip B get reset.:(

Products Discussed in

To Top