1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coms Setup & Location

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Freeheelbillie, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Dec 28, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    I am about to pull the trigger on installing Coms in my rig. Figured I'd get some opinions from the hive on my proposed setup.

Goals:
    - A clean setup, where I can tuck the radio head unit into an out-of-sight location.
    - "Proper" antenna, location, and tuned (if I do the 6dB Gain antenna) I do like how clean the BingFu Antenna is in the ditch light location. This is where I need the most input.
    * I am aware that this topic could open a can of worms for the HAM nerds. I respect the craft but this unit will be more for trail and highway coms. However, well done and thought out is better with coms IMO. Without overdoing it, whatever that means. Yes, I have my GMRS FCC License.

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K2gd-WbyzE and aside from some minor details I like the general setup.

I struggled with making a decision between the Midland GMRS 15w or the 40w. But, decided on the 15w because of the integrated control in the mic.

Dash Mount, I may or may not go this route and just find a clean spot for the magnetic mount on or near the dash. https://expeditionessentials.com/products/toyota-tacoma-3rd-gen-usb-powered-accessory-mount

Radio Unit
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN2FBML?ie=UTF8

Antenna
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7D9WJK?ie=UTF8

Antenna Mount https://www.victory4x4.com/product/VT3CB-BARE.html
    I'll need to solder the NMO mount to the end of the bracket.

or 6dB Gain Antenna
    https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Ante...640699769&sprefix=midland+6db+,aps,115&sr=8-3

Cat 6 Cable
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RB0ZFU?ie=UTF8

Coupler
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H8JM451?ie=UTF8

Magnetic Mic Holder
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0153KY2GY?ie=UTF8

What say you?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Littles likes this.
  2. Dec 28, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    I just picked up the same radio but havent installed yet. From the reviews it's a good but very basic radio that should get you what you want. I have been very pleased with my GMRS handhelds for vehicle to vehicle coms, so I anticipate placing the antenna outside the cab will be even better, especially with your plans to upgrade the antenna that comes in the box. Looks like a nice clean install that should suit your needs nicely.

3. Dec 28, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    The BTech 50X1 https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-GMRS-50X1-Repeater-136-174-99MHz-400-520-99MHz/dp/B07RDM9LMM?crid=11TKCW21TCW49&keywords=btech+gmrs50x1&qid=1640702658&sprefix=btech+gmrs+50x1%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3 is getting good reviews. Way more powerful too. I just can't seem to commit to the control unit getting stuffed into the cab of a Taco in a clean way.

I guess I could mount it to the top of the Dash Accessory Mount https://expeditionessentials.com/products/toyota-tacoma-3rd-gen-usb-powered-accessory-mount and stop being a little @#%$! about it.
    :notsure:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  4. Dec 28, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    I read good reviews on that baofeng one also, but size is what led me to the midland 275. I already run ham which takes up a fair amount of space on the dash, so I wanted the small form factor and was willing to trade the larger display and menu navigation for space saving design and simple operation. I dont care about hitting GMRS repetaers. I could ig I needed to but have the Ham if I really need to get out. I just want to talk to people with bubble pack GMRS handhelds without having to think about it.

5. Dec 28, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    That's kind of where I am at too. Taking the next step up adds a fair bit of complexity. I see the appeal as a hobby and in a pinch hitting repeaters could be a lifesaver...but the likelihood of that is near 0 for what I do and where I do it.

6. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    RubyTaco21

RubyTaco21 Almost Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Barca Red SR-5 with some mods.
    I got the Midland last week and am installing this week. Using the low-profile 3db antenna mounted to the hood. Like many, I debated between CB/GMRS etc, but decided to go the GMRS route as its easier to deal with and the radio is super low-profile and I intend on using it for trail runs and camping.

For future long distance trips, I may install a low-profile CB if I feel like I need it.

Yota_MGM likes this.
  7. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    @Littles which antenna would you go with?

8. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:22 AM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    Last week I asked Midland for the best mounting for their ghost 3dB antenna, either on the hood or above a tail light, on my truck with a shell. They said above a tail light.

RubyTaco21 likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    Doc62

Doc62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2019 Sahara
    RF wise, the best place is the center of the roof, but I currently have mine mounted to the hood. VSWR was excellent. The pattern is skewed probably though, but the power makes up for it.

tacovagon and MOC221_ like this.
  10. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    Should I do the 6dB tuned in the bed next to the cab or the compact antenna in the ditch light location?

11. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I really really really like my midland 15w radio. Like you, I chose it because of the ability to easily hide it away for a much cleaner install. I went with the ghost antenna because it's more subtle, I can fit in my garage (roof mounted NMO) and it still has plenty of range for trail comms. I know I'm a second gen but maybe it could provide some inspiration in some way. I would also recommend the external speaker. I could still easily hear and understand others without it, but now I can listen to my music or have the windows down and still hear them.

Whenever I'm not wheeling the mic just lives in my center console. I prefer my dashboard area in general to not have a whole lot of extra shit on it because I like how clean it looks that way and I simply don't need 19484 tablets and mounts everywhere.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKttdPBAkPB/

12. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:46 AM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    What is the harness adapter plug in the console? That’s slick!

13. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    I like your Cat5 location. Better than having it slung near the OEM radio controls.

14. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It's just a flush mount ethernet extension. It's the key to being able to remote mount the brains of the radio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY04R2N?ie=UTF8

For an even cleaner setup, this will do the same thing but fill one of the smaller plug blanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094Y2NGF8/?coliid=I1VG7NA9PZ9IRR&colid=2MIR4WEELGX60&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Seventh, Jammers1971, Littles and 2 others like this.
  15. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Thanks, me too. Out of sight and out of mind.

16. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Yeah it's gonna be somewhat "directional" due to the uneven ground plane, but unlikely to affect comms in most ppl's use case. Besides, I don't imagine too many guys will want to drill a 3/4" hole in their shiny Tacoma roof anyway lol!

17. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
  18. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    Doc62

Doc62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2019 Sahara
    I have a trunk lip mount NMO clamped to the side of my hood which provides distance between the antenna and the A-Pillar. Depending on what I’m doing I switch between the two Midland antennas. If you put the antenna in the bed next to the cab, the performance will not be great.

19. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Not having one in hand, I can't confirm but that was my assumption. Then you could just use a regular male-male CAT5 cable to run from the radio to the plug.

20. Dec 28, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    Sounds like the ghost style in the ditch light location is the way to go. On the roof would be best, but I can't bring myself to drill a hole in the roof.

MOC221_ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top