1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coms Setup & Location

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Freeheelbillie, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    DirtyGovnuh

DirtyGovnuh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    I have a Midland gmrs radio under my passenger seat. I ran the antenna up to the ditch light bracket and installed an RJ45 port in the lower switch panel. Its completely out of sight when not in use.

unnamed.jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg

2. Jan 3, 2022 at 3:14 PM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    Nice! Do you have a link to that RJ45 port? I like that set up, very clean.
    :bowdown:

eurowner likes this.
  3. Jan 3, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    DirtyGovnuh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Thunderball and eurowner like this.
  4. Jan 3, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    Holling

Holling Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 DC TRD Sport
  5. Jan 3, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    DirtyGovnuh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    I actually had one of these before I got the other one and it was garbage. The fit in the switch hole was awful, so bad that it would rattle when driving down the road. The rj45 port fit was awful as well, and the back half of it separated with any force whatsoever and would dangle by the wires. Look at the picture below of when I had it installed, you can actually see it angled to the driver side.

unnamed.jpg

6. Jan 3, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I’m glad you chimed in because that’s the same product I had linked earlier but didn’t have any experience with it or know anyone who had. So safe to say that’s not a great option.

Freeheelbillie[OP] and Holling like this.
  7. Jan 3, 2022 at 9:47 PM
    '16goingon'17

'16goingon'17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trailslayer
    NoVA by way of NWA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB MT
    JBA STD UCAs. 6112/5160 @6/5. Wheelers 1.5" 3AAL with Superbumps. BROG molle headrest covers. GMRS & Ham radios with roof-mounted NMO Laird Phantom antenna. Thinkware front/rear dashcams, FreshMexicanTaco's DMM, Meso's dome/map LEDs & Flipfob, Swingcase on driver side. Accumulator Delete Mod (ADM). Two-wheel drive Low Range Mod (2LM). Overland Tailor Tune (OTT) 7.0. Extra juicy oil spill on the bed mat.
    For $40 there’s no reason to use any other antenna over the commercial-grade Laird Phantom Elite model ETRAB 4503 (450–470MHz) for GMRS trail comms. At 3.5 inches tall, it is more subtle than any of the cylindrical ghost antennas and its fin shape enables laminar airflow, eliminating the annoying wind turbulence/whistling caused by ghost and whip antennas.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    Freeheelbillie[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 4, 2022 at 5:08 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    Thats good info, thanks!

9. Jan 4, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    Good looking out, thanks!

10. Jan 4, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    NachorTaco

NachorTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tacoma TRD OR
    Lomax bed cover
    I've been running the MXT275 for about 1 1/2 years now, w/ the MTXA26 6db gain whip antenna mounted on the passenger side of my hood. Ran the antenna cable down the through the AC drip outlet into the cab. I've had no issues hitting repeaters or talking to others local. I am looking at upgrading to something else later that I can program more channels. But for now this works great.

11. Jan 4, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    This one is getting good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-Mobile...s=btech+gmrs-50x1&qid=1641315143&sr=8-1-spons

B Tech is the US version of Baofeng or at least that's my understanding.

NachorTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 4, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    NachorTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Lomax bed cover
    I actually looked at that one or one like it. At the time I was just getting into GMRS and had no clue what I was doing with programing radios, really still don't for lol but I am learning. So I wanted something easy, I actually like my radio. On repeaters I've been able to reach as out to Cali, WA all of the southwest and Mid west. Mainly use it for off road, camping, hunting stuff like that.

13. Jan 4, 2022 at 11:22 AM
    '16goingon'17

Member:
    First Name:
    Trailslayer
    NoVA by way of NWA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB MT
    JBA STD UCAs. 6112/5160 @6/5. Wheelers 1.5" 3AAL with Superbumps. BROG molle headrest covers. GMRS & Ham radios with roof-mounted NMO Laird Phantom antenna. Thinkware front/rear dashcams, FreshMexicanTaco's DMM, Meso's dome/map LEDs & Flipfob, Swingcase on driver side. Accumulator Delete Mod (ADM). Two-wheel drive Low Range Mod (2LM). Overland Tailor Tune (OTT) 7.0. Extra juicy oil spill on the bed mat.
    It looks good but for half that amount you can get a used commercial-grade part 90 (GMRS-legal) radio that is superior in every way.

NachorTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 4, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    NachorTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Lomax bed cover
    I thought that PART 95 was the only " legal " ( GMRS ) again I am new to the whole GMRS radio thing and still learning. I wouldn't mind finding a good used commercial grade base but I would probably get lost in the programing of it. lol.

15. Jan 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    NachorTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Lomax bed cover
    From my understanding BTech is the U.S. version of Baofeng, and it's supposed to be a better product. I've looked their HT's and I think I am going to go with a KG-935G for a hand held radio.

16. Jan 4, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    '16goingon'17

Member:
    First Name:
    Trailslayer
    NoVA by way of NWA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB MT
    No worries, it took me years to figure out this stuff since the nerds are very reluctant to hop off their esoteric towers for newbies. But here's a good list to get you started.

btw Part 90 exceeds Part 95 requirements.

17. Jan 4, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    NachorTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Lomax bed cover
    Thanks. Yeah I've found that most people in GMRS are more helpful than the Ham's. Trying to talk to anyone in a Ham club takes a act of congress or Higher to get help, or they want you to join their club before speaking to you. After trying to get info on Ham here in Abq NM I gave up on it because NO ONE would return a email or a call and when they did they were extremely RUDE like I was bothering them. So I went a different way.

18. Jan 5, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    Hunter399

Hunter399 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro skid plate, tuff skins stickers, rekgen mudflaps, 33'' tires, 17'' wheels. Nitro 5.29 Gears. Bilstein 8112 front/8100 rears. Icon delta joint UCA’s and RXT leaf pack. Baja designs Fog, squadron ditch lights, and 30” S8 light bar.
    I am wanting to mount my midland stealth antenna and was wanting to mount it on the side of my Prinsu rack like the R4T mount. Would this be ok or do I need to hood mount it for better reflection/ground plane?

19. Jan 5, 2022 at 2:16 PM
    '16goingon'17

Member:
    First Name:
    Trailslayer
    NoVA by way of NWA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB MT
    Thats fine for offroad comms.

20. Jan 5, 2022 at 3:25 PM
    TateJJ03

TateJJ03 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Prinsu roof rack, Diamondback HD cover, SSO Slimline Hybrid Tube Bumper, Warn EVO 10S Winch, CBI Rock Sliders, ARB Twin Compressor on board air.
    I only did a cursory glance over this thread- but thought Id throw this idea out there. I never really liked the ditch light antenna position. I ended up riggings the Ghost Antenna to my Prinsu rack using a universal Midland mount and 2 existing holes in the side bars of my rack.
    Just tossing out there for an idea.

IMG_8769.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top