1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concealed Carry in Taco [and elsewhere]

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by slmgt, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I got pulled over on my way into work (5am) for speeding. There's a bridge over the interstate and Las Vegas strip that is about 1.5 miles long with no onramps and no pedestrians... so I nailed the throttle a bit. When the cop reached my window, I had it rolled down with both hands on the steering wheel, told him I was a CCW holder and had the gun with me.
    It works out better for everyone if they know you're not a dick, that you're legally carrying, and that you will cooperate.
    He gave me a verbal warning for 64 in a 45 zone, to keep my driving record clean.

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

again i will have to disagree....maybe where you live not here in my neck of the woods..remaining silent isnt being a dick nor is it being uncooperative

3. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    motoxer311

motoxer311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    No need to tell the cop anything about you carrying unless he asks...

4. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    That depends on where you live.

5. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Pretty sure there IS a database. If there is a "Georgia Weapons Carry permit"...There is a data base. If you don't have one of those permits- I don't blame you for not telling the cops you are carrying- but don't get caught. They may not push the issue-but I'd be hard pressed to believe that they can't check besides you tell them.

In LA- It's "Duty to Notify" for concealed carry and the cop can temporarily disarm open or concealed carry weapons at his discretion.

6. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    He probably carries his service gun unloaded, with one bullet in his shirt pocket, just in case.

7. Oct 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    Montana the rule is that you show you ccwp along with your license.

8. Oct 23, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    your state is in the small minority of states that you must inform in i think there are only 5 now because you dont have to inform in Texas anymore...

nope there is no database...there is nothing to check a permit against to see if its valid..if a policeman wants to check it then he has to call the county it was issued in and talk to the specific Probate Judge who issued the permit...so if its a weekend, night or a holiday then they cant check it at all if they even want to go thru that trouble their are 159 counties in Georgia....

Georgia Issues a "Georgia Weapons License" it is only for the carrying of handguns(long guns no permits are needed) and knives over 5 inchs, a knife under 5 inchs isnt a weapon under the law anymore(except for school zones)

9. Oct 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Minority of states or not- It goes DIRECTLY to the contrary of the statement that I quoted. Stay in one state- Great. If someone drives around with their CCW tucked in and cross state lines they need to understand that (I got to AL, GA, FL occasionally.) MOST places you don't have to inform. Here in LA- You do. Reciprocity covers who recognizes whose permits. Following the laws for a given state is the responsbility of the permittee...

Again- The GWL covers concealed carry- The topic at hand. I don't know of many concealed carry long guns and the majority of the conversation was focused on handguns.
    I find it hard to believe there is no central tracking of GWL considering the wide reciprocity and the fingerprint/background check requirements- but I also can't find anything to the contrary of what you are telling me. I think it's wierd...but if you say so.

10. Oct 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    i know so that their is in texas. my dad is a cop and ive been with him one time when we stopped somebody and ran the license plate and whenever you do, you get info about the owner of the vehicle, and if you have a CC it will pop up on the screen and tell you

11. Oct 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...Ditto for FL (I can look at my CCW status anytime via a website) and LA (for "Duty to Notify").
    Like I said- I think it's weird there is no central tracking...but i can't find any indication that there is...so I guess I was wrong. ::shrug:: Not the first time....certainly not the last...

12. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    here in SC...that info doesnt come up...ownership info does...but not CCW info...and i'm fine with that

Every permit holder in SC is required BY LAW to notify upon contact with a LEO if they are carrying, and present the permit...

We also dont allow open carry and non-permit holders can carry lawfully in their vehicles (but not on their person within the vehicle) firearm must be in a closed compartment such as our center consoles or glove boxes

SLED (south carolina's head LE agency) does keep track of permit holders...but that info is not displayed when a plate, or even a person is run thru NCIC or NLETS...

13. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

what i want to know is about South Caolina is can i carry a Black Powder pistol without a permit....it is not covered under your states permitting system and is considered an antique firearm not a "gun" ive read your code and it says weapons other than "guns" must be carried openly so youd have to infer that BP carry has to be legal...unless you know of another law to the contrary.....

GA lacks reciprocity thanks to the NRA a few legislative sessions ago....they want their training to be required so they lobby for it to be required for reciprocity....but they tried to sabotage our recent pro-gun bill passed by our legislatures because it wasnt their pet bill :mad: so you gonna help to lobby to get GA recognized?? if you want to carry in GA i suggest a PA permit its 26$ and will make you GA legal;) unless i move to South Carolina or buy "real" property there i can never get a SC permit:mad:

14. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    i know it sounds weird but there is no database...

well true on the responsibility of the permit holder to inform if required(but this also is at odds with your right to remain silent.....but i digress)...the GWL also covers Open Carry since GA is a non-traditional open carry state....

Concealed Carry of long guns is possible (iirc under our new law you must not have a round chambered though) also guns like my Kel-Tec Sub2000 are exempt from the off limits places because of the barrel length because of an oversight in the definition of hand gun and long gun under state law(or was it an oversight :p )...(except for the school law its a different subsection found in OCGA 16-11-127.1) but the Sub2k is very concealable....

15. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    Lol, That's pretty good. As long as I know where you have it, I'm good. Why give an idiot the opportunity to get a round off.

16. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    respectfully...i disagree...

If you are LAWFULLY carrying the weapon...you would not be incriminating yourself and therefore you are not at odds with your 5th amendment rights

As far as your question per the SC law concerning black powder pistols

PERSONALLY...i'd probably give you a freebie depending on circumstances and how you conduct yourself during our encounter...other officers may or may not be so lenient...and while eventually you would probably be able to get the charges dropped...it'd be a pain in the ass...not sure i'd chance it

17. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    When I run an OL in the car, if the person has CCP it will notify me with their license information. If i have dispatch run the OL, they will announce over the air.

18. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

well in SC i dont have a permit...so correct me if im wrong i have no duty to inform?

19. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    My Self I would inform no matter what state I'm in. It sure can't hurt any thing.

20. Oct 24, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    steved411

steved411 I came. I saw. I conquered.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Off-Road
    What type of gun is the one on the left?

Products Discussed in

To Top