1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concerns with Frame, Lift, Rims and Tires

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ramphonic, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 3:55 AM
    Ramphonic

Ramphonic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2k1 SR5 4x4 V6
    Adjustable Bilstein, AAL Lift, Eagle Rims with BFG ATs, Trd Exhaust, Clear Corners, Red Clear Tails
    So in a previous thread I mentioned the wheel and tire package I was thinking of getting (265/75/16 BFG ATs w/ Eagle 102 16x8 rims 3 5/8 Backspacing) I am planning on doing a lift to help clear this (bilstein adjustables set at 2.5" with an 1.5" AAL in the rear)

My worries at this point are first that if I get an AAL with my original springs how much is it going to help? Will my truck sit level if I put the bilsteins to 2.5? Or will it sit nose high???

Second Im worried because most of these frames are being replaced and mine passed. My state isnt doing the undercoating either so what does that mean for me???

I appreciate any help given

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well...If yours passed for now then take it some where and get an aftermarket coating done to protect it...or give it a few years and when the frame doesn't pass anymore- Get it replaced??

I don't know anything about the 1st Gen suspension geometry- but I'd imagine that your orginal springs should be fine with an AAL, as long as it's sized properly and the original springs don't show any defects...

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:10 AM
    Ramphonic

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2k1 SR5 4x4 V6
    Adjustable Bilstein, AAL Lift, Eagle Rims with BFG ATs, Trd Exhaust, Clear Corners, Red Clear Tails
    Well I have wire brushed and touched up under there at least once a year. No undercoaters around here that I have found.

The springs don't show any problems. They are kinda flat. But even brand new there wasn't much arch in them.

4. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Por15 is a "DIY" frame sealer- Shit is pretty toxic if I remember right- but it'll stop rust and seal the frame...Nice black color too.

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    Ramphonic

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2k1 SR5 4x4 V6
    the por15 Ive tried before and I didnt have too much luck with. It peeled off within 6 months. The worst part of these frames is inside the box and theres not much you can get inside to protect. I thought about oil or a wax like coating but that will collect dirt and salt as much as protect from it.

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 Ditch Doctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper
    My springs have never had any arch to them either. In fact the truck has sat level since new. It looks like I have a cracked spring on the rear passenger side now too.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    Ramphonic

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2k1 SR5 4x4 V6
    So it sounds like Ill be fine with the AAL

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    Ramphonic

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2k1 SR5 4x4 V6
    Well it looks like Im going to get the struts and shocks from Sonny at Downsouth and the AAL, u bolts, bpv and diff drop from toytec

I think I need the bushings and washers for the top of the strut.

Anything else I need?

To Top