1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CONFUSION - Bilstein Front & Back + 1.5" AAL

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jeratbp, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    jeratbp

jeratbp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    just had a conversation with the Bilstein rep.

Rep says Bilstein 5100's are:
    Front rated 0" to 2.5" - I know this is posted several times
    Rear rated 0" to 1" - I'm sure this is also posted

QUESTION
    How does the rear Bilstein work if the AAL is 1.5"?
    I believe it was DSM that said I would be better off with the front/rear kit, instead of just the fronts - YES or NO?

Pricing:
    DSM site lists 5100 front/rear for $299
    http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-8...stein-5100-series-ride-height-adjustable.html
    DSM lists 5100 fronts for $199
    http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-1...5100-series-front-ride-height-adjustable.html

Wheelers site lists their 1.5" AAL for $77.50
    EDIT:
    I don't know if my truck has the TSB, I bought it used.
    Also, recommend other vendors to check out?

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Count the number of leafs in the leaf pack. If there are 3 including the overload, you do NOT have the TSB. If there are 4 including the overload, then you do have the TSB.

I have a TSB leaf pack and 2" of lift with 5100's and have not had any issues. I also don't really wheel my truck, I wanted the AAL for towing and hauling.

The problem is, if you flex your truck out frequently, you can top out the shock, causing it to break. With a 1.5' AAL I doubt you'll have any issues, over that it depends on your usage and once you get near 3" of rear lift there is a taller version of the 5100 you can go with.

I'd go for the 5100's front and rear and the 1.5" AAL. DSM and Wheelers are both great vendors to deal with. They really know their stuff!

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    jeratbp

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    See my response above in red - I have the non TSB.

Also, would I be better off ordering the Icon 3 Leaf Mini kit for an extra $120 ($199 vs $77.50 for Wheelers AAL)?

As for wheeling, I haven't gotten into doing anything yet. However, I'm sure that I would really enjoy it.

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Wheelers and Icon both make a 3-leaf AAL. The AAL that I have is actually the Icon one you mentioned. They advertise 1.5" of lift but that assumes you remove the overload for more flex, if you leave the overload in place, you gain an extra 1/2". I left my overload in place so I'm sitting at 2" lift for the rear.

The 3-leaf AAL rides very smooth! It makes your leaf pack act more like a progressive leaf pack so it'll absorb smaller bumps easier but still gains strength as you squat your truck so if you need to tow or haul something, it'll stand up to it. I haven't had the single AAL installed on my truck so I can't speak to the ride quality of those but from what I understand it's firmer and won't squat as much when loaded.

If you have a non-TSB rear, the standard 5100's will work fine for you with a 1.5" AAL.

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    jeratbp

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    And if I want to spend the extra $ on the smoother ride / 3 Leaf Pak @ 2" lift? Do I need a different rear shock?

Anyone recommend a brand other than Icon or Wheelers? Toytec, etc?

Also, I'm riding on the 17" FJ Cruiser BF Goodrich wheels, not sure if that makes a difference.

6. Apr 20, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The 3-leaf pack only gives you 1.5" of lift if you follow the instructions and remove the 1/2" thick overload leaf. If you keep it in like I did, you'll be around 2" of lift and kind of in a gray area as far as shocks go. With light wheeling and standard driving, you'll be fine with the standard 5100's. If you really flex out your truck, you'll most likely top out the shock and might even break it eventually so it depends on how you'll be using your truck. Talk to Downsouth Motorsports, they can give you recommendations based on your driving style and needs.

My personal opinion on the 5100's is they ride much better than the stock shocks but seem to stiffen up over time. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and I notice the ride firming up a bit. It's not bad by any means, just different from when they were new. I can still hit speed bumps at 40 and the 5100's soak it up very well :D

Icon and Wheelers both offer versions of the 3-leaf AAL, they're a little different but are both great products. It's more expensive than a single AAL but also comes with new U-bolts and centering pins (at least the Icon does, I'd imagine the Wheelers version does also). Toytec does not make a 3-leaf AAL, only single AALs.

I'm not an expert on wheels but I don't think there will be an issue with the setup you have. Plenty of members have FJ Cruiser wheels and I don't recall anyone having any issues with clearance.

7. Apr 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    jeratbp

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    Now I'm psyched!

I'll place my order next week:
    Bilstein 5100's front/rear
    Icon 3 leaf mini pak

As for most of my driving, I have a 35 minute commute to/from work 4 days a week.

Products Discussed in

To Top