1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Connecting to Parking Brake switch hot wire

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by STxTaco, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    STxTaco

STxTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Yes, fitting the head unit into the dash is definitely tough.
    I also like the radio but am not impressed with the voice control...it doesn't seem to understand anything.

2. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    saitcho

saitcho Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    Where do you have the mic mounted? My mic is mounted next to the rear view mirrow. I haven't noticed a problem with it although when i told it to play the album "Watch the Throne" (jay-z/kanye) it kept playing the album "Dopethrone" (Electric Wizard) instead.

3. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    I took some 3M double stick spongy tape, (don't know what it's really called), and mounted the mic in a recessed area just to the right of the ignition key.
    I fed the mic through the hole where the parking brake comes out of the panel.

I will have to rethink this setup because jingling keys may prove to be annoying to the person on the other end of the phone.

4. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    I guess that I have to learn the exact commands to get the voice command function to work. It can get you to the mode that you want but when you ask it to play specific songs it seems to always fail.

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    I'm getting used to the voice commands and its working better than I first thought. I know now that securing the mic to a fixed place is of vital importance. I mounted the mic with the 3M spongy tape and it seemed to work well while it was in place. When the spongy tape failed and the mic ended up on the floor...I had to place the mic in one of the trays in the truck and sound quality on the other end was not very good at all.

I am taking the truck in tomorrow for a professional finish to my install and hopefully will have a better report on everything.

6. Dec 3, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    So it turns out that I forgot to wire the power and ground wires for the reverse camera. (In hindsight I guess I should have made a list of connections that I had to make). That might have saved me the grief at the end of the install. I'm really happy with the outcome though.

Decided to get some Focal 165 KR2 speakers for the front and an Alpine MRX V60 amp.
    Still trying to figure out what to use for the rear speakers. Should be a great setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top