1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering a 2010 FJ, would love some advice:

Discussion in 'FJ Cruisers' started by WLFFGreg, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    WLFFGreg

WLFFGreg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Northern NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bent stock IFS skid
    Hello folks - I hope I have the right spot for this post.

My wife and I are considering two FJ's:
    (1) Price negotiated to $24,500. Is this one of the NSSE FJ's? I see the roof is painted the same color as the body, I love the look but didn't know if it signified something else.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[]]&listingId=353540088&listingIndex=14&Log=0
    (2) Price negotiated to $22,500. At first I wasn't going to consider this FJ, however when I found out about the A-TRAC mod it quickly went to the top of my list
    http://www.liacars.com/certified/Toyota/2010-Toyota-FJ+Cruiser-54ce45da0a0a00e0014e983af3c5764d.htm

What I am looking for in an FJ:
    Low miles
    2010+ (stronger engine, boxed frame as I understand it as well)
    Manual (I have a 2008 Tacoma with the 6spd, I love it)
    Locking rear differential
    A-TRAC
    Roof rack
    -Other options such as the power plug, sub woofer, backup camera and so on are nice, but not necessary.

I don't care about the color.

**Is there anything we need to look for in these vehicles when I do a test drive? I know earlier models had problems with the inner fender walls, I understand this problem was resolved pre 2010.

I intend to install an OME and LR UCA's, with either 33" or 34" tires. Aluminum skid plates (All-Pro comes to mind), sliders, lower links will be in the near future as well, and possibly bumpers at some point further down the road.

Thank you for looking and any insight you might have.

Greg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    WLFFGreg

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Northern NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bent stock IFS skid
    Bump? Suggestions?

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    I don't see a photo of the FJs your looking at. But, to help you with your cause....
    The inner fender wall rips occurred with heavy off roading. I have an 08 and do wheel it (although not too heavy) and there is nothing wrong with mine.
    As far as the engine being a little stronger in the 10+ sure, but I don't think that'll make any big difference between the two. The one thing I really like about the 07-09 FJs is that the oil filter is right up front on the engine and if you ever get a new aftermarket bumper on the front....you don't have to worry about the window fluid resrvoir hanging out.
    All FJs are basically the same in electronics (although the new ones come out with a climb control panel). So, Atrac as you stated is just a button mod.
    Manuals are a little harder to find and sucks up more fuel than an automatic.
    Be prepared for the blind spots in the FJ (just forces you to use your mirros!)
    We'll need more detail on the two your looking at, but I hope this helps for right now.

ps. the FJ roofrack doesn't serve a practical purpose. It's just not designed well. There are ways to modify it (with baskets, etc) or you can get an aftermarket one. Modifying is the cheapest route. Aftermarket ones of course add more capacity, but also costs alot.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    WLFFGreg

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Northern NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bent stock IFS skid
    I suck it posting on this forum. I tried to include the links for the two vehicles that are for sale. Once I get home I'll repost the links for the two vehicles. Thanks for responding though.

5. Jan 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    If you wouldn't mind posting specs for each one too....that would be great for comparison purposes (miles, tires, maybe an interior shot to tell what each has).
    Then, we can start talking about the first mods you should make!
    scuba mod (<$30)
    changing mirror lights (<$30)
    UCAs
    tires
    Armor
    More Lights
    Mirror heat
    CAI
    2nd battery
    Trailing arms
    More Armor
    More lights! lol

I forgot. when you test drive....put it in reverse and listen with the windows down for any popping/clacking noise from the brakes. Also, when you come to a complete stop....hesitate/pause and feel for a bump (like there is a build up in pressure from the universal). These two items are TSB items that are covered with minor fixes and should not exist.

6. Jan 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    WLFFGreg

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Northern NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bent stock IFS skid
    Added the links for the vehicles!
    ----------------

Good to know about the inner fenders. I won't be wheeling it too hard, so guess I'm good to go there.

I know the MT's are worse on MPG, which is difficult to further justify considering my wife and I intend to do some rather lenghty trips with the FJ, but I do prefer a MT over an AT.

Not worried about blind spots, I drive a front end loader with a 20 yard bucket, I am used to not seeing where I'm going! (And using mirrors.. almost exclusively!)

I'm pretty cheap, so the roof rack is a plus, but I see what you're saying about modifying it. I know I want an awning for it, I've seen a few mounting options on it.

Great to learn about those TSB items! Thank you for giving me the heads up! Now to save up the money to purchase a few of the items you posted - see modified list!

What did you mean about the mirror lights?

Thanks,
    Greg

7. Jan 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    ok....I'm not able to see the first link (I'm at work), but on the second one....it looks like it has everything except for a back up camera and passenger arm rest. Not bad to be able to start immdiately. I noticed they have an aftermarket battery, which falls into the time line (3-4 years). An ARB awning costs around $200 for a 6 ft one I think and clamps can be purchased easily for the factory rack. I think the price could be a little better, but heck...I'm cheap! lol

My lesson learned was that once I started doing mods....I ended up throwing/giving away oem skids, slider, rack, etc. So starting out as basic as possible would've been better (cheaper) for me.

The mirror lights I speak of is this....

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/134307-amber-bulbs-mirrors.html

8. Jan 9, 2014 at 4:50 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I had an 07 FJC for a while:

1. Fender rips were common on early models.. not sure of current status
    2. I also had the 6MT... keep in mind this model FJC is full time 4WD :)
    3. Early 07 FJCs were blowing the rear diff... problem was fixed in late 07 I believe.

9. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    WLFFGreg

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Northern NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bent stock IFS skid
    [​IMG]

Well, we purchased the one in MA. Couldn't get them to go down on the purchase price, and they offered an unreasonable amount for my Tacoma so we ended up keeping that as well to sell private party. We did purchase the extended warranty, probably not necessary of course - and we did pay full price on that coverage. The dealership threw in the carpeted mats for the FJ, we purchased the rock sliders. Delivery should be next Wednesday!

Wahoooo!!
    Greg

10. Jan 10, 2014 at 3:46 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Looks great! Congrats!

To Top