1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Constitutional Right?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TheMaster, Dec 19, 2008.

?

Is it a constitutional right to practices religon in a Court of Law?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2009.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. May be

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:42 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster [OP] Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    It's our constitutional right that we can have our religious practices, no matter if it's a courtroom or not.

LISA VALENTINE,
    one of two Muslim women that a Georgia judge barred from entering his courtroom because they were wearing Islamic headscarves

2. Dec 19, 2008 at 3:06 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    It all depends. If there is a security issue then no. But other than that is see no reason.

3. Dec 19, 2008 at 3:25 AM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    Why do we have to keep bending over backwards for there religion when they have no respect for how we do things in this country. This country was found on christian values and the most influential book for the us constitution was the HOLY BIBLE.

4. Dec 19, 2008 at 3:41 AM
    missileman125fw

Member:
    Well, it's founded on Freedom of (from) religon. It doesn't matter what you believe.

5. Dec 19, 2008 at 3:59 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    The judge should be disbarred. If they made it through the security check (assuming the courthouse has one) then there is no legitimate reason to for them out based on clothing. Narrow-minded individuals like the previous poster who think that there is only one correct religion or that religion belongs in a court room at all do not understand the intent of he constitution. Not only are we free to choose what we believe, we are free to practice whatever religion we see fit without fear of prosecution by the government. There is no "as long as it is a Christian religion" disclaimer in the constitution. It applies to all.

6. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:09 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    it has NOTHING to do with religion in the first place...the news media has added unimportant info (that she was muslim) to turn the public against the judicial system

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hut0sy7RtvuLIvsTxA8vb-oCslswD954MK2G0

she was arrested at a security checkpoint

I was having a discussion about this with some people the other day...

Is it your civil right to practice what religion you want? Absolutely...UNLESS it interferes with the safety of others

People arent allowed to wear headgear in courtrooms...regardless of WHAT the headgear is...same with banks nowadays...its a public safety issue...

Do you have idea what kind of stuff can be hidden up under that hat/scarf?

7. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:09 AM
    missileman125fw

Member:
    ^^^That's what I meant to say^^^

8. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:18 AM
    missileman125fw

Member:
    ^^^I agree, as long as security and safety is concerned^^^
    Other than that, she can wear whatever she wants as long as it's not offensive (and even that's pushing it).

9. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:29 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    bingo...except that these days...ANYTHING can be offensive to someone else...

however when personal/public safety are not a concern...i could care less what people wear...unless of course theyre wearing something with an expletive prominently displayed on it...and thats not because i'd be offended...but rather...its illegal...

sadly...this lady and the news media has turned it into a muslim/religion issue with this quote

theres no need for that...just abide by the rules of the building youre visiting and then go on about your day...its as simple as that

10. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:35 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I sometimes go through the bank drive-through because they make me take my hat off in the lobby, and I have some serious hat-head going on after helping a buddy do some construction remodeling.

Rules are rules and made to be broken...unless it's a safety issue. And this was. She wasn't arrested for wearing it, she was arrested because she refused to take it off and insulted a court officer.

11. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:41 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Exactly!
    Unfortunately for some people simple doesn't apply to them because its their Right. :mad:

12. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:45 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    she was arrested because she cursed in the courthouse...here that can be either contempt or public disorderly conduct...insulting an officer technically isnt illegal...

13. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:46 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    And now she has the Right to remain silent.:)

14. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    :laugh::rofl:

15. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    My bad, I read it as she insulted the clerk outside the court before she got in the courtroom, and he dragged her in and in front of the judge.

16. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:30 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    The judge made the right call. Once again the media is distorting the facts.
    We can't allow the rules/laws/statutes to be different for another group just because they have a different religion.
    You don't see any male Jewish people rioting or bitching over having to take their headgear off in a court.
    It's a f'ing mess in the UK right now because of crap like this. They are fighting a duel court system. One sharia law, and then British law.
    I don't want that mess over here.

17. Dec 19, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am in no way a racist, but if you come to a country, you should follow its rules. Not try and change them to suit your needs. If you or I were to go to parts of India there are many rules WE must follow, especially women, if we didn't we could be imprisoned. Here in Canada muslim RCMP officers have been allowed to wear headgear, which is against the policies of the RCMP.

18. Dec 19, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    OK. That makes more sense and I should have thought to look for more information before posting earlier. If she is violating a posted rule (not sure if it is a law but still applies) than she can choose not to enter or to abide.

I think the hat rule is ridiculous myself. As long as you have a security checkpoint, there's no danger. Besides, more can be hidden in a jacket than a hat. Do these places make you disrobe before entering?

19. Dec 19, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    As long as the court is not enforcing any sort of religion itself, any person should be allowed to practice, believe in, any religion they want even in a court room. The problem comes only when the court itself does anything religious, like swearing on the bible, thats a bunch of shit.

20. Dec 19, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    As long as the religion is not used to interprate the laws and the constitution.

Products Discussed in

To Top