1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Consumer Reports Kicks Toyota in teeth

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Tideline, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Apr 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    BAD57

BAD57 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Northern VT
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 access, MGM 4x4 V6 A
    Generally I think CR does a great job, but they sure missed it on this one, did they do a new poll of owners??

My 2008 has 65K. I'm 74, 6' tall 220 lbs and find it easy and fun to drive, not like some oversize "full size" that you can't see out off or around... easy to get through the woods and over narrow roads. Until just recently, it has never been back to the dealer except for a couple of minor recalls as I do all the routine maintenance... AND even with 65K, Toyota just replaced, at their cost, including rental car... the entire frame! I'll bet there are lots of Ranger owners who wish Ford were that thoughtful!

Hopefully the new 2016 will be built as well at the new facility and the truck is at least as or more dependable than as mine has been. I wanted a small convenient DEPENDABLE truck with good RESALE VALUE... that is what I've got and CR should rescind their comments or show the data!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. Apr 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Toyota is bigger than Consumer Reports and I don't think they real care what they say the Tacoma is proven people buy them and that's what counts.

3. Apr 3, 2015 at 5:47 PM
    LegitGreenTaco

LegitGreenTaco Photosynthesis.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular cab base A/C fixed now.
    Westin lights, Westin Light bar holder, New front bumper, Custom floor matts, Steering wheel cover, board in bed to keep groceries from rolling around, new radio, New flat bed cover.
    Ok imma be frank here.

I have a 2002 tacoma with about 127,000 on it.
    The ride is horrible.
    The steering is fine.
    Brakes could be a wee bit better
    But other than that.
    Perfect

4. Apr 3, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    stokka

stokka Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Simple. Unless you have an agenda you do not take the leader of a segment and declare it "car to avoid". Simply because it is by defenition - best in segment.

5. Apr 3, 2015 at 6:27 PM
    Roundarc

Roundarc Former Tacoma Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT
    Hookers and blow.....
    Zoom Zoom!!

6. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I agree! They probably wouldn't be as simplified anymore though. Too much technical crap would be in them now. I love my 04 double cab, I am not getting rid of it.
    My 04 is plenty quiet for all those things if I wanted to add them later. Not as safe as a newer truck, but that's okay with me. More safety junk means more stuff that might go wrong is the way I see it. I just have the seatbelts, two airbags and ABS for safety features on mine. No traction control, a-trac, or any of that techy crap I hate haha. I would prefer not having ABS, the ABS system in Tacomas is more dangerous than it is safe.

7. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    jameswisrik

jameswisrik Don't Tread on ME!

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Greenland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    265 75r16 ko2 Pro comp wheels.
    I had a 2014 Subaru Outback... the ride was rougher than my 2015 Tacoma TRD OFF-Road DBLCB. The Outback was loud and very squeaky! I took it back to the dealership 4x's and they couldn't find the issue. So on my 15k miles checkup ... i drove over to Stevenison Toyota East in Aurora, CO and traded it in for my Tacoma. The bumps are more smooth and the cabin is much more quiet and solid. I'm very happy with my Tacoma driving up the the Ike Gauntlet before the Johnson Tunnel (Eisenhower). Felt like a well train runner ...my Outback felt like I had ROSEANN BARR, TOM ARNOLD, AND MELISSA MCARTNEY in the back seat.

The interior is function for going off-road..not sure i want the electric and heated seats when i'm treading across a river belt line deep. Plus the main reason I purchased the TACOMA is QDR- quality dependability and reliability...w/ a 4.0L V6 DOHC thats been around for ever with legendary performance.... CR forgets how priceless that is for going off-road! Hiking back to a main road when your 30 miles deep in the forest is no luxury!

There are few things reliable anymore...but when you do find it...BUY it before its all gone. Thanks Tacoma!

8. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    Taco gator

Taco gator Taco with 6.5" front 0" rear lift

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 2wd Taco
    6.5" Spindle/5100 lift front lift
    That report is bullcrap. My truck isn't a "chore" to drive.
    I guess since it owns 60% of the sales in its class that means no one likes it.

9. Apr 4, 2015 at 3:00 AM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    cab noise is awesome.... its why I got a flowmaster 10 series and a trd CAI

10. Apr 4, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    We used to say that " more safety junk" about the head rest. Heck, abs, traction and stability control that some have dissed has given the Taco electronic limited slip and Atrac. All these safety devices work. People walk away from accidents becaue of air bags; accidents Unavoided often by poor handling. Not being new, like not improving was what the same naysayers said about the 2005 too. In a few more years when the 2016 has cut it's teeth and needs a revamping agin, it will be the same old.

Some like to live in the past. That's OK. But when you share the highway with cars that handle well, fly from zero to 60 in no time flat and cut you off in a blink, you need to drive vehicles that are competitive, even if they are a truck. When behemouths like full size F150s handle beter, accelerate better better and are safer, and are more eco to boot it's time to rethink your priorities just so you can continue to pay more for gas...Tacoma. Giving up everything just to go off road better is a fool's choice. You can have it all. And, you will ! The word "new" has always been a dirty word to some. The main reason Taco owners are so infatuated by their old trucks.....is they last so long and give such dependable service. That's great....just don't think that the new ones aren't better to rationalize your good choice of keeping it. Others have their druthers too.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  11. Apr 9, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    archerm3

archerm3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    97LX (sold) 15DCSB BRM MT OR(RIP) 09 Tahoe
    Brake controller, Snugtop, Hellwig981, Gentex, custom frame bending and body removal by red light runner.
    +1

12. Apr 9, 2015 at 7:40 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    Consumer Reports seems to be comparing it to a Buick Encore Apparently they forgot ITS A TRUCK

Oh and you don;t HAVE to get a pre Runner so you don;t HAVE to step up.

13. Apr 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    Taco1999

Taco1999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 trd
    geeez....again...

14. Apr 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    You have a Double Bed Long Cab.... bed?.. Anyway.

Consumer Reports is ridonkulous. Dodge Ram. Truck of the year. Piss off. Who cares what they think.

Look at cost of ownership instead of sticker costs. People compare these to F150 as same cost but these beasts are so much cheaper to run. They're not always breaking down. These online consumer review circle jerks are a waste of time and energy.

Its a vehicle. pick one, buy it, and drive it. Not a big deal. Nobody sits on their death bed regretting that truck they bought. I guess unless you bought toyota and the accelerator stuck. Too soon?

15. Apr 10, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    acmccart8

acmccart8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Limited Magnetic Grey DCSB
    Double bed long cab...bed... I am thinking a six foot area behind the drivers seat (think 4 runner all the way to the end of the vehicle) as the cab, with two beds (not sure if they are side by side or one in front of the other), and I think this truck has a third bed in there somewhere, probably in line with the other two beds. Either way, this person has one funky ass looking truck that I would love to see! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. Apr 10, 2015 at 10:10 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    Id argue them to compare the long term reliability and re-sale value of the 2nd gen Tacoma to almost any other vehicle sold in the last 10 years. The GM twins already feel dated and cheap.

17. Apr 11, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    CR logic: A truck that performs like truck, not a car. Deserves a low score.

[​IMG]

18. Apr 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    CUMMINGS 808

CUMMINGS 808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Waianae, HI
    Vehicle:
    2019 SW DCSB OR 4x4 MT
    Bilstein 5100’s, Baja Designs yellow fogs, MESO Customs Smoked Turn Signals, Prinsu Roof Racks
    There's still an average of 75% of Tacoma's on the road... Beat that Colorado!

19. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:39 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    Lol... CR. has an agenda.. Always has

20. Apr 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    Sheepshead45

Sheepshead45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Nothing at all incorrect with what they said, it just happens to be a stone dead mismatch to what customers that actually buy them look for.

Most people would not like it at all - it dives like an ox cart, and it's dated as can be. But it's about the cheapest (even with lousy mileage), most reliable and practical vehicle you can possibly own today. The resale/depreciation is also unmatched with anything on the road.

CR is blind to all this, obviously. No worries.

Products Discussed in

To Top