1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Convenience Clerk Wins $258 MILLION Lottery (video)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by neontrail, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    Fireguy67

Fireguy67 Rebecca and Willow's Opa

Member:
    First Name:
    Klaus
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 4 door long bed TRD sport
    No mods- running boards, vent visors all around ,Leer XQ Cap, hood deflector,bed extender, OEM roof rack, Toyota bed mat.Nothing fancy!
    No lottery taxes in Canada-yet! Mind you. jackpots never get anywhere near 258 million. Just my Canadian 2 cents- which surprisingly is worth just a bit more than the american 2 cents this morning!!!!!!
    Good luck to this lucky fellow.

2. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    From what I understand about the powerball winnings is that if you choose the lumpsum option the total pot is cut by 50% then you pay about 40% in taxes leaving you the balance. So, $258 million /2(50%)= $129 million, then your take home is 60% which is 129mil*.60= $77.4 million. That is a nice payday.

3. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails

Good point but who is to say somebody like Obama or some other politician isn't going to say..."let's tax all lottery winnings at 80%...then your really stuck

4. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Someone on a talk show (heck it could have been Oprah) had a bunch of millionaire lottery winners on it and all of them (most of them are broke now) get on tv from the get go and be done with it. If you try and avoid the news people they will all think your trying to hide something and then your whole life gets on the tube. Once you've published it then your yesterday news....

5. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    If memory serves me correctly you have quoted the income tax rate...the winnings are taxed differently but we need a CPA to tell us - how all of this would pan out.

6. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    It's not as simple as that. Here's a good article about why the lump sum payment is less than the annuity. It has to do with the time value of money.

Essentially, it shouldn't matter if you take the lump sum or the annual installments. If you're able to earn the return assumed in the present-value calculation used to come up with the lump sum, you'll come out exactly the same place as if you take the annual amounts.

Article.

7. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    (I've got to learn how to do multiple quotes) This is a great job Richman...just out of curiosity did you deduct taxes from his investments that he made? (I would think the goverment would at least kiss this guy)

8. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    thats awesome. i pray he can handle it.

9. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Excellent Article....!!:eek:

10. Apr 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5

This is because they all fail to manage their money. Too many of them have no clue how to manage a sudden windfall like this, think that it will last forever, only to find that their newfound extravagent lifestyle has evaporated everything they won and more.

The whole concept of claiming the winnings anonymously is to prevent the press from getting your name, and plastering your face on TV in the first place.

There are two people that you should be contacting before even notifying the lottery office that you have the winning ticket. They are a tax attorney, and a financial advisor. You claim the ticket with both in tow.

UPDATE:

I just made a quick visit to the IRS.gov website. Gambling winnings are taxed as income, and are thusly taxed at the same percentages:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419.html

11. Apr 25, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    the hightest tax bracket is about 33% everything over $200,000 will be taxed at that rate.

12. Apr 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    it did happen to a flat-broke-ass like you! :D

13. Apr 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    sheesh man i don't see how people go broke after winning all that....the thing is don't give any of it away...maybe to your family but that's it....move somewhere where noone knows u or knows you won the lottery...don't go buy 10 million dollar house like an idiot....just get a nice 500,000 house......sheesh...i'm gonna work for 30 years and not even make but 2 or 3 million dollars at the most.....prolly less....129 million?...i mean you could go buy a house, 5 cars and still have 128 million left...what do these people do with their money???....you can't go around giving all your neighbors 5 million each...rofl

14. Apr 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    a lot of them get murdered. first rule in lotto club is you dont talk about lotto club. quit your job, but never say why - tell only the few that you need to.. keep it a very close guarded secret.Get yourself a nice car and whatever.. but invest invest invest and live meagerly.

15. Apr 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    I've seen all the advice on here and I have to tell you guys...(since no one knows me) that I'm working on my getting my Second million dollars--gave up on the first million....:rofl:

16. Apr 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    KodiakVA

KodiakVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 XCab Sport BarcelRed
    The problem with taking a lump sum is that now the responsibility to make it grow is on your shoulders. You can say that you will invest the money and then make more but ask someone that took a large sum of money in 2008 and invested it and how they felt when the market crashed. Your investments of that size are not guaranteed. Ask someone that may have had $100,000 in their 401, only to see it reduced to less than $50,000 in a week. If you are young take the annuity, and spend your time on a beach with 4 beautiful babes, pissing away your money and not worrying about it. :) Then when its all gone you can get another whooper check the next year.

17. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    If he was smart, he'd get a good financial adviser first off. Secondly, he should set up a trust fund for all of his kids so he can guarantee a secure future for them, and even their retirement. And last but not least, don't go blow it on frivolous things.

18. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    when you win, youre more than welcome to do that Biggles hahahaa

Products Discussed in

To Top