1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Conversion of floor shifter forward

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brian92s, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Mar 24, 2024 at 6:59 PM
    brian92s

brian92s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 V6 4.0 2WD PreRunner
    Vehicle Modifications:
    Hello! I cannot find someone doing this but I want to convert my double cab’s floor shifter with center console forward slightly and modify it to be like the regular cab’s floor shifter setup to allow for a front bucket seat. Judgement aside, is this a relatively simple job? I don’t know if moving the position of the shifter forward ~6 inches will require any kind of reconfiguring of shifting components thanks!

Current setup:
    IMG_5630.jpg

Desired setup:
    IMG_5629.jpg

thanks in advance!!

My setup diagram:
    [​IMG]

Regular Cab setup diagram:
    [​IMG]

It seems like there is a mounting point and a bend to the shifter due to it being located so close to the dash, which makes me hopeful this could be as easy as a re-location and swap of mounting points for this, as the rest of the components seem near identical.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  2. Mar 25, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    brian92s

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Modifications:
    Okay so I dug into it today and I have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the double cab w/ full center console. I have a few outstanding questions:

1.) Does anyone with a regular cab/extended cab have photos similar to these so I can see their setup without tearing into one at a junkyard near me?
    2.) How much play is in the cable that runs from the shifter to the trans? I can feel I can pull on it a little bit to re-locate it but I don't want to pull it more than about 1" as I get resistance at that point and I don't want to push my luck pulling on it further for now
    3.) I assume the regular and extended cabs might have a different interior frame setup, as the seat brackets would have to hold the bucket seat at least a few inches higher than my current seats as everything is so close to the bracket for the E-brake and trans cable, etc. (pictures from other trucks would help)
    Ignore #3 it seems to center part of the seat is thinner and allows room for this, thought I know I will likely still need the tracks for the bench seat.

4 Red circles: The 4 current mounting points for the shifting console
    4 Green circles: would be moving it forward 4 inches and drilling 2 new holes to attach it further up (looks like it's meant to accommodate that for other body configurations) or just get by with only the 2 points of attachment. This also looks about how far up the shifter is on the regular and extended cab models, but my shift knob is much closer to the dash since it doesn't have the "bend" to it like in the diagrams in my prior post).
    Yellow ? : The mounting point for the cable running to the trans, I am unsure how this would get re-mounted without drilling 2 new holes, unless I see images from inside a regular/extended cab of a different type of bracket that is holding that in place.
    upload_2024-3-25_13-46-56.jpg

4 inch" gap from center of where this is supposed to mount when I test mounting the whole unit 4" forward of where it currently is, (unsure if this chord has enough slack to move forward 4" or if I would need some new parts from single/double cab setup):
    upload_2024-3-25_13-49-54.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  3. Mar 25, 2024 at 11:44 AM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    You could potentially get everything used and hope the truck accepts it.

Problem is I don’t know if there’s other differences. Like if those trucks have the hole cut in their floor farther forward for it.

also nobody else will know as there isn’t a reason to do this.
    Seems like downgrading to get rid of
    -a well positioned nice looking shifter
    -nice bolstered sport seats

4. Mar 25, 2024 at 3:21 PM
    brian92s

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Modifications:
    After much more searching and finding more detailed diagrams, it appears this is not possible as the trucks with the bucket seat setup use a rod type shifter to connect to the trans while mine is a cable type, and I think the transmissions might be different as well and I would have to fabricate a hole in the body to allow for the rod to fit so I will be abandoning this project.

Cable Type:
    upload_2024-3-25_18-20-47.png

Rod Type:
    upload_2024-3-25_18-21-0.png

Attached Files:

5. Apr 2, 2024 at 7:30 PM
    Rikkosunal86

Rikkosunal86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma rc 2.7 5 lug
    Im having the same issue trying to go to bucket seats

6. Jul 21, 2024 at 5:51 PM
    opolistika

opolistika Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma excab
    Knobby 16in tires, top rack complete with KC lights, front and tailight bull bars
    Noo!
    I thought I struck gold with this post and I was finally able to solve my conversion questions and get a bench for myself. I guess I'm back to searching.

Take care,
    opolistika

7. Jul 21, 2024 at 6:11 PM
    Texas

Texas Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can use the regular cab automatic console in the double or access cab if you have the 2.7 4cyl. The regular cab only had the 2.7 4cyl 2TRFE engine which has a different automatic tranny compared to the 4.0 V6 auto tranny. OP of this thread was attempting to use the regular cab automatic console on his 4.0 V6 Tacoma.

The manual console for the regular cab is interchangeable with either the 2.7 or the 4.0 regardless of cab configuration despite the fact the 2.7 has a different manual transmission than the 4.0 manual transmission because the shifter is just about in the same place.

There are special brackets to hold the regular cab console (auto or manual) that you will need to get if you are going from the full console to that regular cab type console, otherwise it will never mount properly. Easily obtainable from your local parts department.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024 at 6:18 PM
  8. Jul 23, 2024 at 4:20 PM
    opolistika

opolistika Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma excab
    Knobby 16in tires, top rack complete with KC lights, front and tailight bull bars
    So you're saying if I find a Tacoma of similar year, similar engine (I have a 2007 2.7L I4 w/ extended cab), and with a bench, I can tear apart all of the things necessary to shift my shifter forwards?

9. Jul 23, 2024 at 5:57 PM
    Texas

Texas Well-Known Member

Member:
    No, you can't "shift" the shifter forward. I mean that isn't what I was saying and sorry I wasn't being clear either. I just meant you can use the regular cab console in your truck if you hate the full length console. It will free up some room in between your seats or allow you to use a bench seat.

Products Discussed in

To Top